Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Meth nozzle and IAT sensor placement help

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meth nozzle and IAT sensor placement help

Im trying to find where to place the bung for my AEM IAT sensor and also where to install my meth nozzle? I am using a AMS upper intercooler pipe with tial BOV. There isnt alot of room between the Throttle body and BOV. Any ideas?
Old May 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Which intercooler are you running (ie are your end tanks thick aluminum)? In the AEM forum, you can see some people are concerned with heat soak of the IAT sensor when mounted in the engine bay, giving a falsely high reading to the AEM ECU. I tapped my intercooler end tank since it was thick enough to get multiple threads for the sensor vs. tapping thin intercooler pipe. Regardless, you want your IAT sensor mounted before the meth nozzle, and preferably the meth nozzle after the BOV, so that when the meth comes on, it doesn't wet the IAT sensor.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:21 AM

I am running the AMS intercooler. I havent heard of that method before. My AMS upper intercooler pipe is super thin. If I want to mount the IAT sensor there I have to get an aluminum bung welded in. Explain this endtank mounting location a little more.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
just mount the IAT on the upper intercooler pipe and weld on a bung. Meth nozzle should be about 12" from TB...definitely after the bov.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:32 PM

that sounds good but my AMS upper intercooler pipe has the bov flange very close to the TB. so the nozzle will be pretty close. it will probly work tho. thanks
Old Jun 1, 2009, 04:16 PM

Don't install the AI Jet too close to the AIT sensor. That will give a false reading. You want at least 6", preferable more, between the two.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:09 AM

The best placement That I can get Is the IAT sensor will have to go in the upperintercooler pipe between the Bov and intercooler And the Meth nozzle will go a few inches before the Thorottle body. Thanks for all the input!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:48 PM

with this set up, you AIT sensor will never read your AITs after meth is sprayed...
Can you put the AI nozzle at the IC and the AIT sensor at the TB?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW I have them all crammed between the bov and TB. Bushcur pipes, LMS meth kit, not running AEM ~ Maft PRO SD.

Meth is just at the turn in the UICP, AIT is 3" away RIGHT before the TB. Both are on the back side of the pipe facing the firewall. AIT was installed with a bung welded to the pipe. This was ground down to deshroud the element, and it definitely gets sprayed.

I haven't had a single problem in over a year. This car is d/d. Every day, rain, snow and shine. Meth is on 365 days a year and gets used every time the pedal goes down.

I don't get bad reads, or heat soak.

In fact - if anything having the AIT account for the colder air charge when the meth is spraying allows my meth tuning to be mindlessly easy. It see's it - and accounts for it. And my fuel curve stays flatter. I just end up pulling a little more fuel out, than if I hid the meth from the AIT.

Again, to each their own, but I have no problems doing it this way. So if spacing is that much of a problem, I wouldn't pull your hair out over it.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

mine is about 6-8 inches before my bov. I have BR uicp