Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Do I need a 3 port BCS to have proper failsafes??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a 3 port BCS to have proper failsafes??

Hey everyone,

So my question is, do I need a 3-port BCS ( GM, Grimmspeed, Perrin ) to have the failsafes work properly on my HSF-6 ? I'm going to have the kit installed soon and want to make sure everything is in order before I go. I have seen the diagrams on the Aquamist forums and they show a MBC and a MAC valve. I'm not really quite sure how its all going to work out. Do I want it to spray all the time or do I want it spray only at a certian point. Whats the norm? How are you guys running your set ups? Well any info you guys have will be most appreciated! Thanks everyone!

DaGerman
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also us the map switching option of tephra mods from the HSF-6 for a fail safe and that will change you to a safe map at lower boost. If I remember right Schieds(sp) had a video of it working on his car.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Can anyone give a more detailed discription of how it would all operate? I mean using the Tephra mods compared to just standard BCS
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends on your boost control method. Basically no matter what type of boost control you use. The HFS series can disrupt the connection btwn your boost controller and wastegate. This will cause you to run wastegate pressure. If you have a mac valve. It will cut to the set pressure of the mac valve.

So basically you do not need a specific type of boost control.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

regarding the 3-way valve. You only need it if you have manual boost valve. The HFS-6 can work directly with any electronic boost control, including the factory BCV.

On your EVO9/HFS-6, you have the following choices:
- tephra patch: can change map as well as boost, 3-way valve is not needed
- MBC (manual boost control) valve: 3-way valve is needed
- Factory wastegate control valve: 3-way valve is not beeded.

There is an exception for the EVOX, it has two boost control valves so you do need a 3-way valve to lower boost.

Please go to the aquamist forum (need regestering), we have all the wiring diagrams on EVO8, 9 and X for the HFS-3 and HFS-6.
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/vbulletin/...ead.php?t=1798

Last edited by Richard L; Dec 22, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks everybody for the info! So since I plan on running the Tephra V7 im not going to be needing a new BCS. At least thats what I'm understanding from Richards post above. Thanks everyone once again
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at this thread it will give you some ideas. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/wa...ther-last.html
Old Dec 22, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Great Thanks!
Old May 27, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I'm reviving my old thread here because I'm so way confused right now I dont even know where I should start.... by the way I've read lots of threads but I guess its just out of my level of understanding....
1. With the Map switching cable, what exactly does it do, and better yet how do I wire it up into my system??
2. I'm running a MBC right now but plan on switching over to ECU controlled boost control. I'm still wondering if a 3 port will allow me to to switch between 2 different boost levels ( lets say 21psi and 26psi with the meth ), or if I can only run high boost and wastegate boost? If I can only run the wastegate boost in the event of failsafe activation what do I need to get to be able to run the 21psi? I think that has me the most confused..... Let me know what you guys know! Thanks in advance!

DaGerman
Old May 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If using the ecu to control boost then yes, you can have it run at two different boost levels for two different maps. When setup, the failsafe will activate and cause you to change boost levels and maps automatically. There are wire diagrams at Howertonengineering.com or at waterinjection.info I believe. I can't remember which thread they are posted on here and Sn away from my computer or would link it.

Last edited by mt057; May 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

mt's advice is the best, allowing the ecu to control boost, timing and fuel. But in your case, using a MAC valve to by-pass upon failsafe activation is only option to reduce boost down to wastegate.

If you don't want to go right down to wastegate pressure, it is possible to do it with some MBC. This particular MBC must have a third port (venting). You can connect this port to the MAC valve and put a small variable restrictor on the outlet. By adjusting the amount of venting, you can trim your boost pressure above wagtergate during failsafe.

This is not a very good way to control boost and quite complicated to get it right. I woudl really consider using the tephra "alt-map" method.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

@Richard- I have the aquamist Map switching cable, from what I read you have to hook it up to an output on the ECU and then wire it to the HSF6, I am running the TephraV7 so I'm hoping that all that will work together! I'll check into where / how to wire it up!

So all the components I have ( and hopefully need ) to make this all work:
Peirburg BCS
Tephra V7
the Aquamist MAP switching cable
Omni 3 bar MAP sensor

Thanks for helping me clear this up!