Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Need tips on TRACK for beginner

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need tips on TRACK for beginner

Hi all, I've never attended any track events of any kind and would like to start. Iam lost where about to start and what i need to learn. I was searching around for a driving/racing school around Los Angeles area but i was'nt successful at it. I've only came across many Nascar schools.

I wanted to hear from some of you who track your cars. I would like to know how i can make my first approach to track my car, whether i'd be through some sort of driving school or just join a local track event and make a fool out of myself. Even if I can learn through the experience of tracking, I would be missing the fundamentals and techniques that are crucial for beginners.

I would appreciate it if anyone of you near Los angeles area can direct me the right path to start enjoying the true pleasure of driving an EVO, through corners.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by evolusion; Dec 30, 2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HPDE, High Performance Driving Expierence. look that up, or NASA! not the space program though. good luck.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
There is an autocross Evolution Phase 1 school scheduled for March 25th. I'm planning on attending, although the date isn't set in stone yet. It's $230...not bad.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

not familiar with sokali, here the porsche, audi, alfa, bmw, & audi club all run "driver education" track days. At these events they furnish instructors that ride along and give pointers. lots of fun, meet new people and see cool cars.

try the car club web sites, if they are not already booked, you don't have to drive a club make car.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 04:22 AM

http://evolutionownersclub.com/
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolusion
Hi all, I've never attended any track events of any kind and would like to start. Iam lost where about to start and what i need to learn. I was searching around for a driving/racing school around Los Angeles area but i was'nt successful at it. I've only came across many Nascar schools.

I wanted to hear from some of you who track your cars. I would like to know how i can make my first approach to track my car, whether i'd be through some sort of driving school or just join a local track event and make a fool out of myself. Even if I can learn through the experience of tracking, I would be missing the fundamentals and techniques that are crucial for beginners.

I would appreciate it if anyone of you near Los angeles area can direct me the right path to start enjoying the true pleasure of driving an EVO, through corners.

thanks in advance.
Look for a drivers education day, performance drivers event, or high-performance drivers event. (DE, PDE, and HPDE, repectively)

Then go out, don't push it too hard, and have some fun, see if you like it.

Everyone has to learn sometime, just take it easy, don't try to do 31201 mods before the event, just sign up, then show up with a good working, sound car, and a helmet (check their requirements, some allow motorcycle helmets, some require SA helmets.)

after you do it, you'll have this cheesy grin on your face for weeks, and you'll want more
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

wow, much replies...

thanks for the help guys-
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I still think of myself as a track n00b. I've been doing events for 2 1/2 years now, 2 in my rsx, then 5 this year in the evo. 4 (total) at gingerman, 2 at sebring, 1 at homestead miami.

I'm shooting for probably 7-10 events this next year, and because of that, i decided to throw in a roll bar (on order). All HPDE style stuff, no competitive (W2W = wheel to wheel) stuff for me, just out to have fun and push the car.

But when you sit down and talk with some people that have never been out, or it's their second time, you realize all the knowledge you've gained. They say "You've done this 7 times, you're a junkie!" but each time out, you learn a little more.

If you're not learning, you're not having fun, and you're not getting better.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

I think

there's articles on NASA's site (& others too) that give tips and pointers for beginners
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Warm - I may have to pick your brain on some of this stuff.........
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Warm - I may have to pick your brain on some of this stuff.........
haha, no problem man, either post, or send me a pm..

and good point about the nasa stuff.

Honestly, each regional is different, but the experience I had at homestead-miami with nasa was probably the best "learning" experience as far as personel. Instructor was pretty good, but all the other people, where at normal HPDE's are kinda to themselves, everyone was wide open, would walk down and shoot the line between sessions, more of an older crowd, but they're eager to see younger ones out there doin the same thing they're doin. HPDE's are normally a more opinionated (my vette will OWN your evo) kinda things, but nasa was pretty good about that. (keep in mind, all regionals are different, individuals and good attitudes make the events positive.)

FYI: I'm not an old wise man, I'm 22.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Cant find anything on NASA, all I get is space shuttle ****..LMAO I cant run with that.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

I believe you'd be in the SE regional. here's that region's site.

http://www.nasa-se.com/hpde.shtml

edit: Looks like the first event for you if you ran with NASA would be mid march, 18-19 at road atlanta.

Last edited by WarmPepsi; Dec 31, 2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I heard horror stories about Road Atlanta. Not being a very forgiving track and all , any inputs?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
I heard horror stories about Road Atlanta. Not being a very forgiving track and all , any inputs?
haha, i've heard those two.

Never ran RA, but i'd like to. This year is gonna be a busy one for me, possibly next year i'll have a little more lee-way, but this upcoming year looks to be weekend events only, and i'm 8 hrs from atlanta by car, so thats 9-10 by truck/trailer Maybe next year i'll get to run it. I'm unfamiliar with tracks local to you, but i'll do a little checkin and see what i can find.

Quick Reply: Need tips on TRACK for beginner