Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you may pass the visual, but you will need to stock cat to pass the sniffer test. I passed with aftermarket cams and stock cat.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^+1

Cams, tune, stock cat, drop in filter = Passed CA Smog for me.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Forgive me, I am having trouble understanding why OP needs to put back his stock cat to pass emissions. What is the purpose of having the RRE cat?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came across this thread while trying to find a stock cat for my 03 evo

I'm in San Diego area

I've been trying to pass the smog test since July - I finally had time to take my evo to the smog station a couple of days ago and I was told I needed a stock cat ( with #81907) otherwise the car would fail smog test again.

The first smog station I went to said they would not do the test because of an Ingersoll Rand boost solenoid that my car has, I hid it away and took it another smog station where it passed visual with the exception of the cat

I'll be grateful if anyone around San Diego area knows where I can get the stock cat I need to pass the test, or any online links to get one
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nieve
I'll be grateful if anyone around San Diego area knows where I can get the stock cat I need to pass the test, or any online links to get one
You can find them for sale here, eBay, Craigslist or try asking someone local if they have one.

Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone get a smog test yet that is the new obd and visual only? (And no sniffer).

Wondering if some of the details I saw about what the computer checks and compares will have any way of checking for tune details.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nieve
I've been trying to pass the smog test since July - I finally had time to take my evo to the smog station a couple of days ago and I was told I needed a stock cat ( with #81907) otherwise the car would fail smog test again.
Interesting about the number they're looking for. My stock cat doesn't have this, but only a Mitsu diamond and 'GD'. Has anyone else figured out how they determine if it's a stock cat?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone get hassled about their upgraded FMIC? I'm looking at either the VRSF or ETS, and while the ETS is probably a little bit better performance-wise, it seems the cast tanks of the VRSF look more stock.

Anyone?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Does anyone get hassled about their upgraded FMIC? I'm looking at either the VRSF or ETS, and while the ETS is probably a little bit better performance-wise, it seems the cast tanks of the VRSF look more stock.

Anyone?
Doubt it, paint it black and nobody will know it's there. I haven't seen a smog guy look anywhere other than the engine bay from the top and maybe a glance at the cat.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Typically you only really need to sweat if your car looks heavily modified at first glance or if you've been given a citation that requires you to go see a state BAR certified referee.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by golgo13
You can find them for sale here, eBay, Craigslist or try asking someone local if they have one.

Thanks, I'll look around the forum more in depth.

The ones I've seen on eBay say "can't be sold or shipped to California" - I imagine this is related to the smog test for some reason.

I'm also actively searching on Craigslist.

If anyone here is willing to rent their stock cat out around San Diego area let me know - I'll leave some $ as deposit and return it after the car passes.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:02 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

So what happened?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:12 AM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Did anyone have to modify their tune to pass smog?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 01:56 PM

Car passed with cams, stock downpipe and stock cat
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Just got the new "AB 2289" smog today for the first time.

Went in with stock airbox and stock cat. Along with Ecuflash tune.
He looked under the car for the cat to be present, and looked around the engine bay for a few seconds around the intake manifold and exhaust manifold and moved around some hoses.
Everyone's experience on the visual will be different though because its likely dependent on how strict they are and how much they know.

Started the car and plugged in his new laptop into the OBDII port. Took about 30 seconds then he unplugged it. No sniffer or gas cap check nonsense. It was actually that fast.

Interestingly he selected N/A for turbocharger...

Passed. Here's the cert with checklist for reference for those who haven't gone through this yet. Showed up immediately in DMV records so I could pay the reg online.
Attached Thumbnails The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]-image2014-09-18.jpg  

Last edited by mikespike2; Sep 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]