Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lockfinn
2008 Evo X Apexi N1 turboback, FMIC, BOV, Upper and Lower, Boost controller, and a flashed ECU. How much am I going to have to take off to pass?
How flashy is this stuff? I'd say at least the bov and intercooler pipping since it is usually shiny and a dead give away. Also depends on the person doing it. This is the reason I bought everything in a flat black color. The exhaust is fine as long as the cat is there.
Old May 7, 2016, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edsct9a
How flashy is this stuff? I'd say at least the bov and intercooler pipping since it is usually shiny and a dead give away. Also depends on the person doing it. This is the reason I bought everything in a flat black color. The exhaust is fine as long as the cat is there.
It's all flat black. The boost controller is a grimm speed so it says grimm speed on it in white and the intake has the AMS intake shield that says AMS in big letters. Is there a FAQ for tuners re: this smog stuff? I'm moving from a state with no smog testing whatsoever.
Old May 7, 2016, 05:22 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Lockfinn
It's all flat black. The boost controller is a grimm speed so it says grimm speed on it in white and the intake has the AMS intake shield that says AMS in big letters. Is there a FAQ for tuners re: this smog stuff? I'm moving from a state with no smog testing whatsoever.
take off any identifying marks, labels, etc. There can be no marking that isn't OEM unless it has a CARB number.
the shield on the intake will fail you. You will need to hid your boost controller. If they know to look for the solenoid, you will fail anyway.

I even de-badged my new turbo and ground of the "fp" isngnia:

Old May 7, 2016, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Some have better luck then others. I have smogged my car twice and both times they could care less or didn't know any better. The first time it was an older guy that said he's never seen this type of model. He popped the hood, gave a short glimps and plugged it in and that was it. Second time, different shop, it was a younger guy that liked Evos but never smogged one as well. He said he's never seen that type of filter come on a car referring to my foam Perrin filter at the time, guess he thought it was stock.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:48 PM
kaj

Lucky. My guy didn't know what he was smogging, so he pulled up all the data on it, then checked for each piece, one by one. LOL

The BAR regularly sends narcs through our smog shops with fake cars, to see if they catch them. They also do regular audits, so if he passed me and another shop failed the car, they would come back (up yo 10 years, I think he said) and see why he passed a failing car. Yes, a lot can happen in those two years, but he'd still have to deal with it.
Kalifornia smog is a joke. I feel for our smog techs.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone failed recently without forcing? I'm not into the forced patches, but I failed because an O2 sensor was not ready (I thought I could have two sensors fail and still pass, but apparently not). Wondering if anyone on here has gone through the whole "drive cycle" ordeal. All my monitors are on, none are set to force pass. I passed two years ago, nothing's changed besides some retunes/flashes, but those new ROMs didn't disable any of the monitors. Just wondering if anyone has had success with the "drive cycle" instructions. I don't think my cheap OBDII reader will tell me if the monitors are ready.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just passed again today with TX-264 cams, o2 housing, Vishnu turbo back w/ aftermarket cat and stealth EGR block-off. The only force in the ECU is for the EGR which I plan to return to stock anyway; just testing to see if it was leaking.

Totally depends on where you go.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 06:50 PM

I am getting stationed up in the NorCal area near Sacramento and I have a very heavily modified Evo. I am new at this whole emissions thing since I never needed to do it, so I am browsing through all kinds of information. From reading through here, it sounds like I will probably fail a visual inspection since I don't even have A/C installed and my steering wheel and hazard button might be the only thing stock.

Seriously though, it sounds like I need to find someone who is willing to "look the other way" to pass the visual inspection, through the cat on, and I am going to need to flash a tune over to it. I have been reading through the Force OBD Inspection thread and it looks like I am going to need to get a scanner, ECUFlash, a cable, and just play around with settings until things are green, does this sound right?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by h4unt3dfx
I am getting stationed up in the NorCal area near Sacramento and I have a very heavily modified Evo. I am new at this whole emissions thing since I never needed to do it, so I am browsing through all kinds of information. From reading through here, it sounds like I will probably fail a visual inspection since I don't even have A/C installed and my steering wheel and hazard button might be the only thing stock.

Seriously though, it sounds like I need to find someone who is willing to "look the other way" to pass the visual inspection, through the cat on, and I am going to need to flash a tune over to it. I have been reading through the Force OBD Inspection thread and it looks like I am going to need to get a scanner, ECUFlash, a cable, and just play around with settings until things are green, does this sound right?
As far as i know and how I read it you can keep your states plates on the car while active duty as long as your registration and insurance is current. When I was stationed in AZ I never had to change the registration over but I know AZ is easier when it comes to emissions.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by h4unt3dfx

If you're stationed in California you don't need to register but you will need to smog it to be permitted to drive on base.

Contact me if you need help
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Now that I have unlocked the Gross Polluter badge in CA, my visual inspection is going to be tougher to pass even though the bay looks mostly stock. Apparently, Nisei Engineering is out of business so I will probably pull my UICP, sandblast it, and then powdercoat it matte black. In the past, I haven't had any trouble passing smog. I could just tell them that my natural-anodized UICP was stock. That will likely no longer work. Hopefully, I won't have to pull the roll bar. I'll post the outcome in a few months once I get to the point where I can have the Evo smogged.

Anyhow, my original point here is just that passing visual has been pretty easy in the past, as long as you don't have anything shiny in the engine bay. Never had issues with my ceramic-coated DP or coated exhaust manifold (black). Fingers crossed...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:59 PM
kaj

what does a roll bar have to do with smog?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
what does a roll bar have to do with smog?
I think it depends on the technician. I have been questioned about it before. I could be wrong, but I believe it's similar to having CARB EO on your parts - it invites more scrutiny. i.e. "oh, there's a roll bar, I wonder what else this person has done to the vehicle?".
Old Jan 3, 2017, 09:16 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Matz
I think it depends on the technician. I have been questioned about it before. I could be wrong, but I believe it's similar to having CARB EO on your parts - it invites more scrutiny. i.e. "oh, there's a roll bar, I wonder what else this person has done to the vehicle?".
Oh, that. Yep, profiling is real. Stickers, a roll bar, etc. Luckily, I'm over 40yrs old, so it's less of an issue for me. Still kinda depends on the shop, though. B.A.R. has all the shops in my town SUUUUUUUUPEEEEEEEER paranoid.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Hello Everyone,

Idk how active this thread still is but I figured I'd give it a shot....

I just moved to the SF area from NYC and drove my Evo X across the country. It was an amazing trip and so happy that I decided to drive. Now that I've settled into my place here in SF I am looking to get the car registered in CA. the list of Mods that I have are as follows:
  • K&N intake
  • COBB UICP
  • AMS Wide Mouth Downpipe + Stock Cat + CNT Cat Back Exhaust
  • COBB AP Tuned (Stage 1 + 91)
The Cat is stock but the heat shield rusted off about a year ago. (thank you North East winters!). about 3 months ago I got the CEL for the AYC pump, I got it looked at and the dealer said it would be about 4k to replace and service... didn't want to spend that kind of money at the time with my upcoming move and did my research to make sure it wouldn't affect my normal driving.

Will I pass Smog with this CEL open? or should I use EvoScan or Tephra to clear all CELs just to get Smogged? will I even pass with the few bolt-ons that I have?
--
Cheers

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]