Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Emergency Fobb Key Start

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Fobb Key Start

So I went to start my 2010 Ralliart the other morning and it wouldn't turn over. I tried a few times until the fobb key battery light came on. At which time I took out the emergency key to start it that way. I inserted it in the ignition to start it, but it still wouldn't start. I thought it was a low car battery so I hooked it up to a charger and tried some more. The only result was the sound of the starter spinning but nothing else.

So needless to say I got a tow truck and had it hauled 90 miles to the nearest dealership so that warranty could cover it. Well low and behold they called me to inform me it had nothing to do with the starter and the reason the car wouldn't start was due to the low fobb key battery, and not reinserting the emergency key backwards into the fobb.

Could anyone please help me out and test trying to start your car with just the emergency key and report the results. It makes no sense to me why the key would need to be inserted backwards into the fobb to start the vehicle, it its battery is dead.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Mine won't start without the fob on the key when you turn it. I'm guessing it has to do with the engine immobilizer. After the car starts, you can put the fob away.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:25 PM

Does it turn over the starter but not in-gauge the starter solenoid?

That is what makes no sense to me since I could hear the starter spinning and it sounded like a RC motor every time I turned the key.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

The battery is not dead just low. Mine did the same thing a while back just insert the emergency key into the ignition and then place the fob on the head of the key and crank it will start up
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MEOIT
Does it turn over the starter but not in-gauge the starter solenoid?

That is what makes no sense to me since I could hear the starter spinning and it sounded like a RC motor every time I turned the key.
I didn't even notice! It's blowing a ton of snow outside right now, so I just sprinted out to try the key and sprinted back into the office. Damn these Canadian winters....

I'll have to check at the end of the day.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:43 PM

SV Thanks for the help I'm fitting with the dealer over the $471 tow fee to bring the thing to their shop. You would think they would state something if they knew this would happen when using the emergency key, when the costumers complaint was that the starter was spinning but not in-gauging.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

The dealer is correct and I my self have read this information inside the Manual,
you insert the key and use the back of the key fob to turn and start car.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:11 PM

I understand that, but why would the starter spin if the ignition immobilizer is activated? That is where I am lost on this whole thing.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

OK, so no starter spinning when I turned my key. I put the key in, put the fob on, and cranked it as usual, no funny sounds, no drama.

Sounds like your car is an unhappy camper.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:34 PM

Thank you guys. I will let you know the result. I think they are going to eat it since I could have had the thing towed for free, if they would of informed me to just call Mitsubishi Road Side Assistance. You think that would be the first step when someone with a three year old car calls and says hey I can't get my car started and am two hours away.