Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car and Driver Comparo is out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really surprised that the RA ran so close to the X's if I recall was the X running 13.8-14.0 ?

Seams to me if you were one to leave the cars stock and you didnt compete in sanctioned events there is a good argument for the RA.

I also think the WRX sedan will be a good seller. Alot of us former subi owners were very disappointed in the 5 door sti.. ok the wagon.. styling.

Like all car dealers my local mitsu dealer's lot is getting that 'almost out of business' look. I sure hope this isnt the case. But with the new mazda 6, volkswagen's lifers, subi's enormous fan club, and well an actual entry from chevy that you cant laugh off, I am afraid the future is looking even dimmer for the mitsu showrooms. Which also has to weigh into any decision about pecking order.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:38 AM

hopefully all these last place finishes get mma to lower the price or up the performance
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chino ali
def.
That's why i am not concerned about the 09WRX or Ms3 reviews.
I tested them all numerous times and i just ended up being with the R/A.
Just works for me.
Or why get a R/A when you can get an X comment.

DBOZ is going to get a 09WRX wagon.
LOL
Old Nov 23, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bru91
You forgot to mention 100% uglier All kidding aside, you made good points except that the price difference isn't 12%. A base WRX sedan starts at $25,660 including destination fees. The base RA is $27,185 with destination. That's a difference of roughly 6%. This is for a stripped out base WRX that doesn't even come with fog lights, only cheap plastic covers over the holes. Even the base RA has fog lights, not to mention standard Bluetooth. The WRX has better seats compared to the base RA seats, but the optional Recaros in the RA are better. Even when you start adding options, the difference stays at around 6%. A WRX premium is $28,160 and an RA with Recaro package is $29,935. With navigation, the WRX jumps to $30,160 and the RA jumps to $31,934. The price difference isn't that much, but the WRX is still a little cheaper and seems to perform better. They're both a good bang for the buck but for different reasons. The WRX is a better bang for the buck in terms of performance, but the RA is a better bang for the buck in terms of technology and features. They're both good cars and you can't really go wrong with either.
You are right on the 6% price diff. I got a little carried away. If MMNA would have gone with a 5 speed they would be equal I would think.

Last edited by dboz; Nov 23, 2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Your ignorance is supreme.. what do you think a Jetta GLI is? it is a GTI sedan. I have one.

Carlos
I would not go with ignorance as the cars have a different designation, vs. the others that are the same. GTI vs. GLI same but different. WRX vs. WRX same.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
7 RA
6 John Cooper Works Clubman
5 SI
4 WRX (fastest in test) SEDAN was tested here.
3 Cobalt SS sedan
2 GTI
1 MS3 again
Well, obviously they didn't bother to factor in reliability of the car or stability of the auto manufacturer, because two of their top three come from companies on the brink of bankruptcy, and the other comes from a company that is consistently rated lowest in customer satisfaction. It's not until you get down to the (worthy) WRX that you find a car where both the car and its manufacturer will probably still be running fine in five years (without needing major repairs or massive restructuring). Performance alone just isn't enough -- there are plenty of people around these parts who still have interesting slabs of plastic left over from the failed Bricklin (google it).

[if you doubt me, then look up the many business articles that have GM restructuring down to under a hundred brick-and-mortar dealerships in the US, and then imagine trying to get service on a gas-guzzler from a company likely bent on restructuring to be more green -- Mazda's not in quite such bad shape, they may end up owned by Chery of China... bet the MS3 owners would love that]
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
09 WRX is lookin great! I'm sure ownership of the car company is not that big of a deal. Most of MS3's parts are from Ford anyway. Bankruptcy is a bigger deal though. I like how R&T has a strictly performance based ranking, then a subjective ranking, then a value added price ranking. Does C&D do that?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
09 WRX is lookin great! I'm sure ownership of the car company is not that big of a deal. Most of MS3's parts are from Ford anyway. Bankruptcy is a bigger deal though. I like how R&T has a strictly performance based ranking, then a subjective ranking, then a value added price ranking. Does C&D do that?

Yes. The article is too long. It should be up on their site soon and you can see all subjective categories. The Clubman finished way down due to cost.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Im looking at the RA as one of the easiest to get aftermarket power. The door is wide open for low cost performance gains. Though everyone is spooling up to push the limits of the RA we do know that when you hit 350+hp/tq in an MS3 the motor rips the mounts and litteraly drops out the car.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
Im looking at the RA as one of the easiest to get aftermarket power. The door is wide open for low cost performance gains. Though everyone is spooling up to push the limits of the RA we do know that when you hit 350+hp/tq in an MS3 the motor rips the mounts and litteraly drops out the car.
Hey Elpoole.
You got any pics of your GG RA?
I haven't seen anyone post pics of that color yet.
At least not an owner.

I'd like to see that color.
They didn't have one available at the time.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

no worries about the reviews/rankings..

stock the ra's are still a baddass car, but where it shines is the tune-ability of the car. thats where the RA will get the biggest gains, for less money.. once the mods come out that is

dont forget we are baby evo's, just in need of some loving to grow!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
How did the MS3 and GTI rank so high? I can understand the SS since it's fast as hell for the money but the GTI isn't exactly a beast and the MS3 is dropping from the podium as well.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chino ali
I dunno really about it.
I been seeing it on WRC, if it REALLY makes a big difference, i don't know.
Then all of a sudden Subaru drops the STI in a HB version.

I was just pointing it, no offense to you.
The wagon is slightly lighter I believe and the big thing for rally is there isn't a big overhang in the rear (ie. the car is not much longer in the rear than it's wheelbase). I personally like the STI hatch but the WRX hatch is a bit "weak" looking.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IdriveRA
well how about equal driver skill?
im purdy sure the ra can take the si but not sure about the others.
Stock probably not. The RA suffers from too much weight and too little suspension stiffness and stickiness. Throw some wider tires on and upgrade the sways though and I'm sure the RA could be quite a performer.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
That only happens if you're not smart enough to upgrade the motor mounts in a FWD torque machine. The RA should be pretty easy to mod but so are the other cars. Hell, I think Chevy offers upgrades from the factory or at least has a factory upgrade path you can follow (although that may have been for the last Cobalt). The WRX will be a breeze and people are already modding the GTI and the Mini. The only problem member of the group is the SI since it doesn't come with a turbo stock.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparo is out