Notices

Noise from turning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I get some noise when backing up and turning sharply because my aftermarket tires (stock size) rub slightly on the fender liner even on stock suspension.
thats what i am thinking tooo
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:50 PM

Steering wheel noise

I have a 2010 lancer es that i got back in august and about 3 months ago i started to get a grinding noise in my steering wheel when i turn right or left no matter what speed. I haven't done anything to the car it's completely stock. for some odd reason the day i had to take it to the dealer the noise went out that day and the dealer said that the car is completely fine. but its back again and i wanted to see if anyone has found a solution to it.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:27 AM

Just bought my X last Tuesday. Started noticing a slight grinding when turning to the left. You can feel it in the floor boards and in the wheel. The weird thing it does not do it all the time and seems to come and go.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the noise there when you're at a dead stop too...?
if it is try this because its just the trut mount binding a bit, heres the easiest way to fix this..i did it and im SOOO happy now (i did the process twice just to make sure it worked... but it worked the first time anyway)....i was going insane with this noise and finally figured it out like 2 months after and i was like "i dont wanna take it apart to fix this!!"....then a friend told me this easy trick and basically it fixes itself... and it takes like 20mins of letting you car sit....plus, if you do it this way you dont need to realign your car like you should after removing/reinstalling the struts!

1. park somewhere (preferrably flat area)
2. jack your car up on the front just enough so both your front wheels are off the ground (use jackstands or bricks and wheelchocks or sumn for safety please...)
3. open hood and use prop rod
4. loosen strut nut from strut mount just enough so the nut is off the strut mount (the single nut inside the hose where the strut brace is, NOT the 3 or any of the 3 around it)
5. get some oil (engine oil or gearlube works best), fill the hole to the top
6. let it sit, it may take around 10-15 mins, its gonna just seep thru the bolt hole and lubricate all the bearings and rubber in the mount...you may get some oil on your strut on the bottom, its ok and normal...you also may need to come by every 5 mins or so and turn the wheel lock to lock a couple of times to help it seep thru(u wanna have the engine running when u turn the wheel or ull end up leaking power steering fluid everywhere and then have to top it off and clean it up...)
7. retighten strut bolt TIGHTLY, and properly, and lower your car
8. drive around not going crazy about your noise!

let us know if you did it and how it works for ya!
i have an 04 but its the same principle...
ps you'll need a impact or possibly a drill to get the strut nut off...(a wrench or ratchet will just make the shaft spin and you'll just be wasting time and effort not doing anything)

ps...its easier if you have access to a lift...then u can raise the whole car up...(just a few inches off the ground to be able to turn the wheel freely)

Last edited by nekkidlad; Nov 23, 2011 at 07:52 AM.