Notices

How to: Upper/Lower IC pipes & EvoX Intercooler

Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TOralliart
Nice write up. I just got the Evo X FMIC, UICP, and LICP from here. I just want to double check to see if I need to get anything for the install. From the write-up, it looks like all I need is the 6"x1-3/8" tubing for the LICP. Is this correct?
I think your missing 1 coupling from the hot side IC pipe to the FMIC. That coupling is 2.5" and you need about a 4 inch section. Yes, that is correct you need some kind of extension to hook up the stock DV.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
I think your missing 1 coupling from the hot side IC pipe to the FMIC. That coupling is 2.5" and you need about a 4 inch section. Yes, that is correct you need some kind of extension to hook up the stock DV.
Is that 4 inch section you're talking about the same 6 inch section that VelocityHead is talking about?

What tubing did you use?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a little lost here I'm a total NOOB, but I have the EVO X LICP, an AMS UICP and of course the EVO X FMIC.

So, for me I just need the 6" x 1 3/8" piping? Everything else should fit good here?

Thanks for posting this great How To up. Couldn't do this stuff without this community.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

If I bought the LICP set for the evo by its self, would I need that 6 in pipe?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

I believe that 6" inch pipe is for the licp DV outlet to the recirculating DV tube going back to the intake.
You can use anything from even cutting a section from your stock plastic pipe too.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

So I finally installed my Evo X intercooler. VelocityHead, this how to is the best. I totally agree with the "you're gonna want to attack the lower IC pipe from about every angle". It took me almost an hour just to get the LICP out. Everything else was smooth.

I ordered the 6"x1-3/8" pipe which fit perfectly. I took some pictures of how I used the pipe. The battery tray fit perfectly after using that pipe.

Last edited by TOralliart; Jul 10, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, I've been away from the site for over a month...

Good to see you got it figured out. And yes, that 6" extension is for the return line between the LICP and the BOV
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for posting up a DIY OP! I did the install 2 weeks ago
I figured out another way to fix the bov problem.
You don't have to order anything. Just use the stock plastic bov piping and turn it upside down
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
Yes, if you order the T1R set and an EvoX intercooler, it will work without having the EvoX lower IC pipe.

BUT...at a minimum, you will need to get a larger coupler to connect the RA's LICP to the EvoX IC. The EvoX IC has larger diameter outlets than the RA's stock IC outlets (you might be able to tell by the photo). You will need a reducing coupler, I'm guessing a 2.5in-to-2.0in coupler would do the trick, but I don't remember the exact diameter of the EvoX outlet and RA pipe.
correction: i just did my X intercooler swap and the used the stock RA LICP; it's actually 2.5" so the factory coupler reduces from 2.5" at the LICP to 2" at the intercooler. a standard 2.5" coupler will do fine with the X swap.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikesim
correction: i just did my X intercooler swap and the used the stock RA LICP; it's actually 2.5" so the factory coupler reduces from 2.5" at the LICP to 2" at the intercooler. a standard 2.5" coupler will do fine with the X swap.
Good to know. Now I just need to find a X IC in great condition!

Nice write by the way
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:14 AM

looks good, im just waiting to get my set up...
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big thank you to the OP for this. I know that it has been a while, but thanks all the same.

This install should take at least an hour (more like 3 for those who haven't ever done something like this before).

The Ultimate-Racing LICP takes care of this little BOV fitment issue. It was a breeze.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikesim
Is that the same with the stock uicp. I have stock evo x (not on the car) uicp too but I didnt know if it was even an upgrade from the ra's.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliMark
Is that the same with the stock uicp. I have stock evo x (not on the car) uicp too but I didnt know if it was even an upgrade from the ra's.
Definitely think the stock Evo X UICP is wider/larger. It's still a hose though, so I would go metal aftermarket piping.

Got mine installed this weekend and can definitely notice the difference with metal IC piping now. Have way more boost through the midrange rpm from where the stock hose would expand.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
Definitely think the stock Evo X UICP is wider/larger. It's still a hose though, so I would go metal aftermarket piping.

Got mine installed this weekend and can definitely notice the difference with metal IC piping now. Have way more boost through the midrange rpm from where the stock hose would expand.
Thats why I didnt bother putting it on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Upper/Lower IC pipes & EvoX Intercooler