Notices

Cobb AP: ?s on product, features, and various maps incl Perrin maps go here [merge]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
You will want to use a map made specifically for their intake, that's why there's so many different maps for different intakes. Maybe ETS has a map for their intake?

No i dont believe they do but im just gonna have to wait and see once i get the parts installed....i just installed my ap today and the car feels better then ever. Smoother would be the one word i would use to describe the stage 1 map. cant wait to upload the stage 2. ill keep u posted on the LTFT and knock numbers once i install my mods.

if any one else has an ETS intake w/ an ap please let me no ur numbers and how it works?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Just got done reading this whole thread. Very useful information on this little device but i would still like to know more about reading logs (what are bad readings and good readings) and doing custom tunes. I will do my own searching but if any one can send me links to anything that they found to be helpful that would be great. thank u in advance!!!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HELPr
Im not sure you if you are still looking for an answer but I just got an AP and loaded the 93 Stage 1 map for the Stock intake, I have the K&N Drop in but becuase this filter doesnt change the way the air is flowing (outside of potentially volume) through the maf it should be fine. Where as the other maps which are set up to run with different Air intakes in which the air flow characteristics can vary.
.. feel free to correct me if Im wrong *COBB

UPDATE***
I just spoke with Chris @ COBB and asked him about the K&N drop in with the stage 1 tune @ stock air intake system and he explained that it is possible that the K&N panel filter could lean the car out perhaps to much, what he reccomended was logging the fuel trim (both short and long) while doing some city and hwy driving, but not full throttle or full boost, then add the short and long trim values together and record this value. Do this with the Stage 1 stock intake map, as well as the Stage 1 HKS PF (panel filter) map and which ever fuel trim value (Short + Long) is closer to 0 is the map you should use.

If you have specific questions or are unsure of how to do this, I would reccomend speaking with Chris or someone at COBB, I am not trying to missinform anyone but that is what I got out of our conversation.

Sorry for this being my third straight post!

Chris (@ Cobb) would this be the same thing i should do when i install my ETS intake and ETS TBE since you dont have a map for there intake.....meaning try the stage 2 stock map as well as a map for a different intake i.e. your ams map and use which ever one that is closer to zero on the STFT and LTFT values (added together like u said above)?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris
Pollock,

We aren't planning on making PERRIN custom maps for the international car, sorry!
How much of a difference is there between USDM and International car tunes???
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crester,

The tunes are different enough that they require specific tuning. If your car is Canadian, your car has the same tuning as the cars here in the US.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:34 AM

I have a quick question, I was reading some blown engine threads and was wondering if anyone reported a blown engine from the use of AP OTS maps ? Maybe from loading the wrong map but still I can't believe it would destroy the engine right ? Driver would definitetly feel the car being strange.

I'm just curious since I guess the maps are pretty conservative.

Last edited by Darklol; Mar 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by The_X_Effect
Sorry for this being my third straight post!

Chris (@ Cobb) would this be the same thing i should do when i install my ETS intake and ETS TBE since you dont have a map for there intake.....meaning try the stage 2 stock map as well as a map for a different intake i.e. your ams map and use which ever one that is closer to zero on the STFT and LTFT values (added together like u said above)?
ETS INTAKE AND STFT / LTFT
Yes this is correct, although I took the same path you did,
I first purchased the AP (already had the K&N drop in) then a short while later I purchased the ETS intake, I have tried ALL the maps available from COBB and have not found one that works much better than any other.... Sad to say my STFT ranges at idle from sitting at 0.0 to 5.1 with no throttle or change in RPM. while driving the only time is see STFT is when taking off in a gear, the moment when the clutch is not completely engaged and the gas pedal is slightly depressed, and when crusing in gear at speed (any gear at cruising speed) it seems that at a very slight throttle there is STFT corrections.

Now at this point i acquired the ACCESSRACE TUNER software hoping i could straghten out these issues. well without a dyno that can run and hold a speed for load its very tricky to acurately make adjustments, so idecided to try to address the STFT corrections at idle. with the car idling and it stays very close to 700 or so give or take 50rpm it hold well.. my STFT bounce all over the place while my maf voltage stays almost the same.. so no amount of corrections to the maf cells made any noticable change, i even skyrocketed a section of cells to see if it would at least produce some sort of result.. crank up the STFT or drop it through floor but alas still no result. I followed the instructions on the ACCESSRACE TUNER software and even spoke with some people at COBB to ensure i was doing it correctly.

So I then decided to take off my ETS intake as it was just to much hassle and if i am causing damage to my car it is not worth it in any way shape or form... So I reinstalled the STOCK intake and went with the stage 1 map from COBB,.. much to my suprise my STFT is still all over the place at idle and at very light throttle or cruising speeds....... Oh yea, still have the K&N drop in. so again i try each map available to try and find one that has low STFT and guess what,.. they all pretty much produce the same values as with the intake.. some a bit higher in terms of corrections.. damn this is not getting a bit frustrating.

So at this point i go back to the stock map with the AP (not unmarry just stock tune map) guess what... STFT are still the same... %#$@

KNOCK
as for knock, i get 0.4 almost every time i take off in first, it seems at the exact momeny the clutch engages i see 0.4 now sometimes. on take off from a stop normal driving i see as much as 3.5 when the clutch engages.. once im rolling and off the clutch no knock, evey now and again i will see 0.7 or 0.4 while in gear but under WOT i see virtually no Knock all the way up to redline (after the car is rolling and the clutch is completely engaged of course) So is this going to damage my car? I was told by COBB that are engines are particularly noisy, and that phantom knock happens so anything under 3 counts of knock is probably phantom knock as long as its not continuous. does that mean 0.3 or 3.0?? Now my KNOCK RETARD has only left 100% only once and it went to 99% but like i said that is only once. I was also told that KNOCK RETARD should always be at 100%... if its not then real knock has occured??

Anyhow at this point im kinda upset, dont get me wrong I like COBBs products and always have, i used several of there products on my subarus and now with my EVO, they quality is good and their customer support is great...

Is my EVO the problem, i did have a reflash from Mitsu due to a TSB could that be the culprit? are these issues normal? should I purchase the COBB SF intake, will that solve my problem? in terms of intake the COBB SF and the ETS are pretty damn near the same, once uses a silicone tube the other an aluminum tube both bend about the same, but the COBB tappers where as the ETS uses the coupler @ the turbo to taper down, Both utilze the factroy maf housing and a K&N filter...

By the way, I cannot get a map loaded now that will make my car run smoothly, its kinda jerky under WOT like it was stock now with any of the maps :/

Side note my LTFT will never show correction for more than a second or so if they do and this is typically only at start up, but they always go to 0.00 / 0.00 after a moment or so.

I hope someone has some light to shed on these things that would be GREATLY appreciated,..

-J
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Darklol
I have a quick question, I was reading some blown engine threads and was wondering if anyone reported a blown engine from the use of AP OTS maps ? Maybe from loading the wrong map but still I can't believe it would destroy the engine right ? Driver would definitetly feel the car being strange.

I'm just curious since I guess the maps are pretty conservative.
Not that I've read. I doubt it would be possible.

Someone did blow an engine while using the WRONG map. I don't think it was a Cobb map.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

I ran the Cobb AP AMS stg 2 map with the following mods and had NO issues...(Yes, I do understand the maps are intended for use with the mods listed) but I dont mind taking risks...

Ams SR-intake
Ams Intercooler
Ams UICP
Custom 3inch QTP electric cutout
Boost controller spike 30psi
ams stg 2 map
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

With Cobbs stage 2 ots map, does it make a difference which brand intake you use?

I see on their website they have a few options as far as intakes go, I'm just curios if I have a different brand will they work the same?

You can use the UICP/LICP with the stage 2 ots map also correct?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
IC piping is fine for Stage 2 maps. Which stage 2 map you run will depend on which intake you got. I think they have stage 2 maps available for the Cobb SF, AEM, Injen, and AMS. Other intakes should be compatible, you just need to pick the map designed for the most similar intake.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:49 AM

I searched nut didn't find the answer, I there someone using the cobb ap with only the k&n panel filter?

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Frank5509
I searched nut didn't find the answer, I there someone using the cobb ap with only the k&n panel filter?

Thanks
I was running that set up and spoke with one of the guys at COBB specifically about it and it was advised that I try a couple of maps and see which had better fuel trims. Those maps being the HKS Panel filter map, and the stock stage 1 map. Load them both on your AP and then drive around with each noting the STFT and LTFT (short term / Long term) fuel trims, idealy these should be as close to zero as possible, COBB told me +/-8 was about the safety limit in terms of acceptable trims, but some research said that +/-5 would better if not closer to 0 of course. Now 8 is probably fine as the guys at COBB know their products well but its always good to play on the safe side of things

hope that helps
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by HELPr
I was running that set up and spoke with one of the guys at COBB specifically about it and it was advised that I try a couple of maps and see which had better fuel trims. Those maps being the HKS Panel filter map, and the stock stage 1 map. Load them both on your AP and then drive around with each noting the STFT and LTFT (short term / Long term) fuel trims, idealy these should be as close to zero as possible, COBB told me +/-8 was about the safety limit in terms of acceptable trims, but some research said that +/-5 would better if not closer to 0 of course. Now 8 is probably fine as the guys at COBB know their products well but its always good to play on the safe side of things

hope that helps
So were you in the safe zone with those maps? Wich one was the best?
Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:26 AM

I wish someone with more knowledge on all the datalog monitors would put some kind of basic guide together for everyone. Seems to me (including me) and I'm sure many novices to this would appreciate some general guidelines on what monitors to be looking at and what the range of numbers we should be within for safe tolerances. Not every available column in the datalog needs to be explained (although that would be nice) but the most important ones should be noted and what the safe ranges should be as a "general" rule of thumb. It would really be a benefit to the community and a great starting point for all new AP owners and should be stickied. It would most certainly clear up a lot of the same questions asked over and over again I've asked Cobb and don't know why they don't have such a guide themselves anywhere on their website; after all, they are the ones that decided on what data points to collect so they must know the answer

Now I've learned something new tonight, to also log STFT and LTFT and to try and find a map that will keep me as close to zero as possible but definitely not to go over +/-8.

Quick Reply: Cobb AP: ?s on product, features, and various maps incl Perrin maps go here [merge]