Notices
ECU Flash

from your experience what is the best Ecu Flash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from your experience what is the best Ecu Flash

I have a 2006 Evolution IX SE. It has about 2300 miles on it. I want to get a mail in flash done. The reason i want to get a mail in flash done is because 1. i dont trust myself to do it myself and 2. i dont own a laptop.

Where all have you guys mailed yours into and had great luck with results?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Check your local tuner comunity. You could mail in a reflash that would work for a base line. Yet to max out what your doing and where you at as well for the price.. Check for local tuners..

You can always mail it to Jester Tuning or anyone else but a basic tune is all you need for just bolt ons.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
It would be less downtime and better suited for your enviroment and guaranteed not to be locked or encrypted which will cause you headaches in the future. Mailing the whole ECU in is a waste of time and money. Local tuners need your support.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you borrow a laptop maybe? I'm with JB ... find a way to flash it yourself. It will save you time, money and headaches in the future.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

ok, well i found a laptop i can use, i havent ordered the cable that runs between the car and the computer yet. i am holding off on that until i get a few more answers...

1. I havent ever tuned a car before, how hard is it?

2. where should i go to download the program to tune the ECU?

3. i have read the how to for tuning your Evo 9, seems a little confusing. is there a way to practice on the computer before you go messing with the ECU?

4. IF i screw it up is there a place to download the factory flash for the ECU for an Evo 9?

5. For all you that havent done it before, how did you learn?

6. How do you know if it is tuned correctly? dont want it to rich or to lean or to much boost.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Why dont you get an email flash from a tuner and start from there? You just need a laptop to download your stock rom to save it and then reflash the tuners rom on it. Just be sure to SAVE YOUR STOCK ROM!

Then your not tuning yourself - if you dont trust yourself, I dont recommend it.

Also you will have 0 downtime and get the same flash as a mail-in - your just flashing it on the car yourself with no ecu removal or turnaround time.

ECUFLASH: http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

Last edited by travman; Feb 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Changing values is easy ... knowing why you are changing them and what they need to be is difficult.

2) http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

3) You can practice changing values on the computer, but you can't know how it affects the engine until you flash it to the car and log the changes. If you want to tune it yourself, take small steps and make small changes.

4) Save your original ROM file that you first pull from the car. You can DL a stock IX ROM, but you will need your unique immobilizer code from your stock ROM. Without the immobilizer code, you are SOL ... so save it in like 5 places and mail a copy to your cousin in Spokane too.

5) I learned by tuning my car. I read and read and read for weeks and learned about AFRs, boost, timing and such before flashing the car for the first time. Nothing beats real world experience.

6) You log after you make changes .. that's the only way to know really. You need to know what your targets are and then you just modify the ROM to reach those targets. however, you need to do lots of research to make informed decisions about what those targets should be.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

your sig says "ams tuned" so what has changed since? You have mostly buschur parts so why not call him and see if he has an email flash for your mods.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

sorry about the signature. that was my last Evo. it was an 05 evo 8. had dumped alot of money in it, and make a long story short ruined it by doing all the wrong things. i am pretty sure it had problems before i got it. i bought it brand new but i had a stage 5 BR kit. hks 272 cams, tuned by ams and was only getting about 300hp. so i got rid of it. bought a evo 9 se. and love this one. i am just not going to do all the little stuff that didnt matter. just the big stuff that makes a difference
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Day! There is a great thread on how to tune an evo if you have never done it before.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=302895

Also go to Mellontuning.com and check out his website.

There is a video there of how to hook up the Tactrix cable and download your stock ROM.

He has tuned hundreds of cars and is in the process of tuning mine! I am very happy so far!

If you don't have a wideband installed, you should do that before everything else in my opinion. Boost gauge would probably be next.

Hope these links help you.

BTW unless you go to a tuner you are going to need a Tactrix cable and a laptop. You can get the cable for around $70 and a cheap Windows laptop off of ebay for around $250 to $350. Make sure it can run Windows 2000 or better.

Josh

Last edited by jmelocik; Feb 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

i have v1.31 and love it. I used to ahve problems. but then i learned a bit from this site, and made all my endians big ones