Notices
Evo Dyno Tuning / Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP EF-series Turbochargers results thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just cant figure out how the turbo will build and hold boost but there is no power.We took the intake off and the wheel looked ok. Don't feel any shaft play. But something definitely isn't right with the wastegate I would say
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

My ef4 wastegate failed after 3 drives. The flapper arm gets soft when it gets hot. You can adjust the turbosmart arm up tighter, but it will just run out of threads. The flapper eventually just fell off inside.

I had to build my own external setup and put on a Tial MVS to fix the issue.

Turbo made good power!, but failed within 4-5k ish miles. They are no longer building or working on turbos from what I understand.

I will say this though- in the end MAP took care of me and the whole situation! I moved on to another setup I'm building but I have no hard feelings over the deal. They completely came through and in the end, that is all that matters

I would check the pre-load on your wastegate arm and see if that's the issue, tighten it up and hopefully yours won't do what mine did. They will probably have you do this as one of the first steps anyway. Just don't do anything to void your warranty (tightening up the preload on the gate won't void anything) and they will take care of it I'm sure.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:58 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
mine died, post rebuild, after an autox event. they took care of me as well. i can appreciate them giving up a few $$$s in profit to help those of out that supported their product.

Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
mine died, post rebuild, after an autox event. they took care of me as well. i can appreciate them giving up a few $$$s in profit to help those of out that supported their product.

Their support and customer service is the reason why I deal with them.
Even after three consecutive failures, they stood behind their product no questions asked. Thank you Chris, James & Junior.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

due to the issues yesterday I had to leave my car 6 and a half hours away,
TPG just called, they figured out the wastegate, but still no power, they took the turbo off and mixed in 2gal of 110 into the 1/4 tank of 93 I had.

bolted on an HKS stock ish sized turbo and the car turned around. put down 380 awhp w/ 360ish ft/lb
Old Jun 19, 2015, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Well that sucks you guys have had bad luck with the turbo. I still have the beta version of it on my car and it pulls like a freight train. Even though the car makes 400 whp on e85 due to dead clutch it still pulls hard. I am doing some upgrading to the car here soon and adding a haltech to the mix and will be retuned before shootout. To bad my 2.4 isn't going to be ready yet but oh well. It will make 600 whp again hopefully soon.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:01 AM

I have made some good results with my EF3. However comparing with other dyno sheets my one seems to come on a bit later than the typical EF3 would. Never the less we were happy with the results.

Factory motor,
Factory cams & head,
MAP EF3 - 2011 model, no anti surge, no porting.
External 38mm Wastegate
Full 3" exhaust & AM dump.
Tube Manifold 43mm diameter runners.

AEM 320 LPH intank pump
ID1000 Injectors

470whp / 350wKW at 26psi on 98 octain pump gas. 1000nm torque in 4th gear.

Old Jun 23, 2015, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like map but these turbos seem like a terrible idea based on all of these horror stories. Credit to map for sticking by their products though.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 07:13 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by 6spdlegend
I like map but these turbos seem like a terrible idea based on all of these horror stories. Credit to map for sticking by their products though.
Agreed. They turned out to be not so great. But I tried. Twice.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:20 AM

When comparing these MAP turbos to what is avaliable today they really dont come accross as great turbos. They are old technology, and like my one which was brought back in 2011, it would of been something special back then.
My one is still going strong with probably 30k miles on it.

That being said I wouldnt purchase one today with what else is avaliable on the market.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 06:34 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by HYYBR3D
When comparing these MAP turbos to what is avaliable today they really dont come accross as great turbos. They are old technology, and like my one which was brought back in 2011, it would of been something special back then.
My one is still going strong with probably 30k miles on it.

That being said I wouldnt purchase one today with what else is avaliable on the market.
They stopped making them and no longer offer support. No bueno for anyone still running them.
I got about 6k miles out of mine, then another 1k after the rebuild. 30k is awesome!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 01:03 PM

EF3 on evo IX - stock block

I have one of the original EF3 turbos. I probably have 5-6K miles on it and definitely "enjoy" the car when I drive it, it sees boost anytime its out. Its stored all winter and comes out in the warmer months.

Anytime I drive the car I let it warm up and i let it cool down before I shut it off.

Oil changes every 1k miles.

Ported hot side, standard WGA (non-turbosmart), 3" anti-surge housing. The turbo has no markings or anything on the housing (not numbered like the new ones were). Total OG Ef3. I have Zero issues with it. Well Maybe a slight wga issue, I can hear the flapper at idle.

I am on 93 pump gas 24 psi making 440 or 450awhp, tuned at PSI proformance in landsdale, pa. Torque is under 400 at the wheels. I want to say it was around 380aw ft/lbs.

1000cc precision injectors
AEM fuel rail
Intake manifold gasket
Full Race Stock Frame exhaust manifold
GSC s2's
255 pump
ETS IC
Kiggly Springs
Ti Retainers
Stock valves
Speed Density Conversion
Stock IM and TB
Metal head gasket
ARP Studs
Muse ICP
Tial BOV
3" catless dp
3" turbo XSExhaust
MUSE o2 dump
ETS speed density intake
Exedy Clutch
ACT flywheel
JMF catch can
EGR removed
Koyo radiator

car has 80k miles on it

Not an aggressive tune, I probably could have squeezed some more out of it but this is where the car was happy. I think we had issues with the wga holding more boost otherwise I could have gone a bit more aggressive.

For a street turbo its pretty ballsy. The turbo is pure music in boost. Not very laggy, boost around 4k-4200 rpm's.

I have a curt brown ported IM and TB at home and may buy a new WGA to see how much more I can extract from this little guy on pump.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So these turbos have low life span and their feed lines are poor is what we are saying?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 01:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
I laugh at you guys who bash these turbos. I have an original beta version of this turbo and I have 30k miles on it and never have had a problem what so ever. Everything I read is always something other then the turbo, its a feed line issue or it was installed improperly etc. Thing is if people install them correctly you don't have any issues. I know people will say well it was this and it was that these turbos were junk etc but I find it funny being people who have had them and installed them correctly have no issues what so ever. Sure feed line may have to do something with it but question is where are you feeding the oil from? If its not where they told you to install it from then guess what you installed it wrong and figures why your turbo didn't last.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 08:20 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by EvoGSR8
So these turbos have low life span and their feed lines are poor is what we are saying?
depends. in the post below, he's had good luck. with mine, it worked great for a about 6mos then died. i bought it used, so i can't speak for how it was treated by the previous owner. MAP rebuilt it, then it died during my first time attack event. when i contacted them about a rebuild, they said they no longer offer support and stopped building them. that's all i know, really.

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I laugh at you guys who bash these turbos. I have an original beta version of this turbo and I have 30k miles on it and never have had a problem what so ever. Everything I read is always something other then the turbo, its a feed line issue or it was installed improperly etc. Thing is if people install them correctly you don't have any issues. I know people will say well it was this and it was that these turbos were junk etc but I find it funny being people who have had them and installed them correctly have no issues what so ever. Sure feed line may have to do something with it but question is where are you feeding the oil from? If its not where they told you to install it from then guess what you installed it wrong and figures why your turbo didn't last.
mine was installed correctly, no boost leaks. i verified oil from the return line. oil feed was from the head, just as they advised (yes, i called). i've dealt with MAP for quite some time and we've been all over the turbo after it died both times. fact is, sometimes they just fail. in my case it wasn't user error. i've had no problems with any other turbos. of course, i can't speak for others. it's really good that yours is still working, but to say all failures are user error is a blanket statement that just isn't true.

Last edited by kaj; Sep 3, 2015 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: MAP EF-series Turbochargers results thread