Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

pioneer avic-n3

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pioneer avic-n3

Do any of you guys know if this unit is capable of real time gps? If so where did you install the antenna without it being obnoxious?

Also I know it comes preloaded with maps, but how does it know when to make you turn if its preloaded?

Cheapest I found was on e-bay for 1100.00 bucks. Anybody do any better?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

my avic-n1 just has a small square antenna mounted on the rear deck in the back window. wouldn't know it was there if you weren't looking for it. as far as direction and turns, there is a box mounted under the passenger seat with a forward facing arrow that tells direction
Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure the AVIC-N1 is capable of real time gps, also real time traffic reports. I would assume that it has satelite tracking capabilities as you drive.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:00 PM

Well I guess if you guys are saying the avic-n1 may have real time gps capabilities the the avic-n3 would no doubt be capable.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:02 PM

I have an AVIC N3 in my evo and love love love it. It is realtime GPS. It comes with a little square shaped attenna. Its not borthersome at all. As for the maps all the maps come in 2 DVD dics. One for Western USA and one for Eastern. The only bad thing about that is that you can only store about 32 mb of maps on your memory. Or you can just leave the disc in and the maps get read directly from the disc. What i did was i bought the IPOD connector for it and just hooked up my ipod to it so i can leave the DVD in at all times and still listen to music. The best part is you can control you ipod for your head unit; it awesome. If you have any more questions on it let me know.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:12 PM

Thanks PWRDBYNEL,

Where did you put your antenna? Also do you have to pay for the satellite tracking? What kind of deal did you get?

So you preload the maps then the satellite traking system which is the realtime gps kicks in?

Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:48 PM

I put the attenna on the roof by the edge of the diverside. I got the same deal as you and you dont have to pay for GPS tracking. The Attenna is your tracking device but you also hook up your unit to your speed sensor so if your under a tunel the navi systems knows that you are moving and it keeps tracking your movement. As far as the price I got it for the same price as you did. Also when you hook it up to your speed sensor it comes with preload guages that track you side accleration and forward and backward accleration in Gs. Its pretty cool to see the evo pull at over 1/2 a G. Let me know if you have anymore questions
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:37 PM

I have the Avic N-3 in my 06 Evo 9 MR, It works great but it uses discs, and the antenna is small like the avic N-1, I have mine mounted on top of the Center Brake light in the car, I also have the ipod adaptor with my 4gig ipod that is awesome, A+ to Pioneer
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

invision here on the forums sell the avic n-3

i have the avic z1 with ipod, bluetooth and xm navtraffic - i got it from invision here
to use the z1 i got the double din kit from orbital-very nice

research the z1 compared to the n3 on www.pioneerelectronics.com - i think you will like it more than the n3 - but it is more pricey
Old Oct 29, 2006, 07:41 AM

I got my N-3 off of ebay for $1,150
Old Oct 30, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

those look so sick. I wish i could have that in my evo. i hate it when people sport that in a sorry *** car.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
max

Question negative feedbacks??

Hi guys,

I am also interested in getting the N3 and set it up with an ipod. I was just wondering if you guys have any negative experience with this unit. I did some search on the internet, well, some people experienced installation difficulties, navigational delay with ipod, outdated map, interface is user unfriendly, and terrible navi function like rerouting, and routing to POI. Do you guys experience any of above or anything else?!

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Mine was on my trunk deck (small square magnetic hardly visible) and yes real time gps. They are nice units.You set your home base and it starts from there (a starting point if you will).

Also it has a turbo timer built in.

Last edited by IEXCELR8; Nov 24, 2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 92-stealth-twin
I have the Avic N-3 in my 06 Evo 9 MR, It works great but it uses discs, and the antenna is small like the avic N-1, I have mine mounted on top of the Center Brake light in the car, I also have the ipod adaptor with my 4gig ipod that is awesome, A+ to Pioneer

Do you have to run any wires between the antenna and the n-3 console?