Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 08:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes

Just thought I would post a couple teaser pictures of my stereo install.

The boxes are provided by a member, who I believe is becoming a vendor as we speak. I have modified them a bit to fit my application, but out of the box, they are perfect for 99% of the people out there.

They come in matched carpet, or color matched paint to your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes-amp-rack.jpg   Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes-both-10w3v2.jpg   Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes-both-empty.jpg   Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes-drivers-box.jpg   Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes-pass-box.jpg  

Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:47 PM

damn thats gonna bump
Old Oct 3, 2007, 06:50 AM
Account Disabled

OK, so here's the story of the Boxes :-)

Short version: They are from Wicked Car Audio Systems [

I had been looking for molded boxes for months and months. about 5 months ago, a board member Matt Consolli was offering a driver's side box for 10s and 12s. The volume seemed perfect for a 10" high output speaker. However there was no passenger side box, and there were some complaints of the glass being too thin and the box flexing. So I asked about a passenger side box, and didn't hear anything back.

Then another vendor poped up in the past month. offering nearly the same product as the previous one, but again it was a driver's side box only, and it was designed for 12" subs, but the volume was too low 1.15-1.25 cuft to get any of the subs I like (Type Rs and one Diamond Sub fits)

So, I built my own box out of MDF and ran that setup for months, planning on building my own passenger side box... but then I got a message from Matt from Wicked Car Audio Systems stating that they have re-designed their boxes and also now ofter a passenger side box.

So, after waiting for some money to come in, I purchased these boxes. They arrived 3 days after I ordered them. The price was right, and I was fully prepared to reinforce them when they came in. I was so sure that these would need to be reinforced that I ordered 10" subs instead of 12" subs (wrong move). When the boxes came, they were VERY thick, they were designed with many reinforcement curves (to eliminate wall flex), and the interior volume was measured at over 1.32 cuft WHICH is the PERFECT volume for JL Audio 12" subs....

So, if I had ordered the JL 12s, I would have been able to just drop them in and go with an extremely light weight perfect sized enclosure. but as I had ordered my amp and subs already. I had to reduce the inside volume of the box to meet the 10s.

If I were doing it over again, I would order the 12" sub boxes from wicked CAS (they come in both 10 and 12" sizes ) buy a pair of JL Audio 10W3v2s, buy an appropriate amp and call it a day. These boxes are extremely well made, very thick and have a perfect volume for many 12" subs... I am VERY impressed.

Now, this weekend I will be B-quieting the trunk, and installing everything. I will show pics as well as a system diagram at the end of the weekend.

Last edited by TempeRacerGuy; Nov 9, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:00 AM
Account Disabled

Plans for this week: (Prep work)
-add filler material to 2nd box to lower interior volume to meet airspace specs for my 10s.
-vacuum the rest of the kitty litter out of my trunk (damn bag ripped a few months ago)
-clear, and wet-sand the 4'x2' carbon fiber pannel I laid up last week
-mount rear cross-overs in a more secure way
-do a cardboard template for CF false wall
-buy acetone to prep trunk for dynamat
-buy alluminum for false wall brackets

Weekend plans: (Install)
-B-quiet entire trunk area
-build remote filler for washer bottle (VERY EASY)
-mount carbon fiber false wall (will expose the heat-sinks of amps, and capacitors
-install trunk pannels with new hardware (Thanks mitsubishiparts.com)
-cut/install new trunk carpet
-install new speakerboxes with supplied hardware and additional bolts
-tune system

I will post a system diagram later this week.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to seeing the finished job. I love JL stuff.

So far so good!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are FG boxes light?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Will you be able to use your factory carpet and wheelwell trim pieces without cutting them. What is the maximum mounting depth for these fibeglass enclosures? How much did the pair cost you? Very nice!!! I'll have to look into these as I just sold my setup

Originally Posted by TempeRacerGuy
Just thought I would post a couple teaser pictures of my stereo install.

The boxes are provided by a member, who I believe is becoming a vendor as we speak. I have modified them a bit to fit my application, but out of the box, they are perfect for 99% of the people out there.

They come in matched carpet, or color matched paint to your vehicle.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:06 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricekiller81
Are FG boxes light?
Yes, much lighter than an MDF enclosure. Each of the enclosures he has are probably around 12-15lbs without the sub. An equivalent box made out of MDF would weigh double that.

Tempe...that's looking really good. Really like the amp rack and how you preserved the space for a rear strut tower brace. Keep us posted on how the two subs sound when you get them installed.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
have you used ultra light MDF? less thab half the weight and cuts and takes screws easier.

I have seen many fiberglass boxes that were significantly heavier because of excess resin. They can be lighter but should be braced well too.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 02:57 PM
Account Disabled

They are extremely light in how they come.... I've added so much filler they are like bricks now, and I kick myself every time I think about it.

Get 12s, keep them light!

I have used ultra light MDF, but it flexes too much :-( These boxes are continously curved, so the design is the reinfocement.

I am very happy with these. they are extremely strong, light, and out of the box are perfect for nearly all applications!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1 to 1 xpanding foam or blocks of styrofoam work to displace air wothout much added weight.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

Yes, factory carpet and trim can and will be used. I just removed it all so I could dampen the trunk. Not sure what the depth is, but there are few 10-12" subs that wouldn't fit. I will measure when I get home. I don't remember the price, as I purchased these with MANY MANY other things, I forgot. you can contact Matt with Wicked Car Audio Systems and he can help you with the price.

Last edited by TempeRacerGuy; Nov 9, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

thanks for the good words Austin.

BillAce your right, when we need to "shrink" internal volume of a pre-built box in house we use expanding closed cell foam to take up space. When it dries it's so light you wouldn't even know it was there.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:48 PM
Account Disabled

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!

You are so right, I didn't even think of that.... Time to pull out the grinder :-)
Old Oct 7, 2007, 08:33 PM
Account Disabled

Sorry for the lack of an update as promised... I had a Wierd weekend, and ended up spending much of it at work or out of town.

I B-quiet-ed the full trunk, re-installed the interior, and got the driver's side box installed. However because I was an idiot and thinking inside the box, I had filled the box with Resin to bring the volume down to where the 10s needed to be. Now I need to grind that crap out so I can drop the weight and use closed-cell-foam like I did on the Driver's side...

Anyways, I cannot believe how perfect these boxes fit. I first thought they were a little loose, however once I had them bolted in, they blended in BEAUTIFULLY with the factory interior.

I only have one box installed, but it sounds VERY good. Next weekend I will get the other box installed, and work on sound deadening the doors.

Quick Reply: Teaser pics, dual fiberglass Sub boxes