Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo clutch problems

Anybody else have clutch problems with the evo? I burned up the stock clutch at our local 1/8th mile track here in south dakota, put a clutchmaster stage three in the car, and about a week later that one burned up. It had about 1200 miles on it and no launches. Im getting an act street performance clutch put in it now, but im a but afraid this one will explode as well. Any input would be awesome
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Exeedy or Cusco twin diskers...
Old Oct 19, 2004, 04:10 PM

thats a little bit much for a car with a perrin catback, avc-r, and greddy type s BOV though isnt it?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is stock and getting an exedy
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

nope... not excessive at all with those mods... i'd run it like Smith said stock, especially if you're a drag racer slipping out the clutch at any chance you get
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmithEvo
Anybody else have clutch problems with the evo? I burned up the stock clutch at our local 1/8th mile track here in south dakota, put a clutchmaster stage three in the car, and about a week later that one burned up. It had about 1200 miles on it and no launches. Im getting an act street performance clutch put in it now, but im a but afraid this one will explode as well. Any input would be awesome
It's because you dnt know how to drive. Bull****! when r people going to come to terms with the FACT that the stock evo clutch ****ing SUCKS.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:06 AM

oh no,i know how to drive. no questions there. the clutchmaster exploded because i recieved a bad clutch from the factory, and the center of the clutchplate decided to explosively disengage itself from the outer ring that applies pressure to the pressure plate. I understand that the stock evo clutch is a pile, no questions there either. not a whole lot of drag racing either, but i do enjoy the occasional trip to the drag strip. One of the main reasons for not getting the exedy was $$$, but next summer after taking my car to turbotrix, it will definantly have one.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hey.... the stock clutch is posta be weak... but i have a question. i'm getting the feeling that mine is going but i'm not sure if it's all in my head. i still have pretty good grab when clutch is fully engaged, but i swear that the actuating engagement point is a big higher on the pedal feel now... is that a sign that my clutch is wearin? i know with this type of symptom it could very well all be in my head. btw... exedy/cusco (same) twin disc is the best... lets you slip all day... i admit i like to slip a bit for daily driving... it just gets the car going faster...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
hey.... the stock clutch is posta be weak... but i have a question. i'm getting the feeling that mine is going but i'm not sure if it's all in my head. i still have pretty good grab when clutch is fully engaged, but i swear that the actuating engagement point is a big higher on the pedal feel now... is that a sign that my clutch is wearin? i know with this type of symptom it could very well all be in my head. btw... exedy/cusco (same) twin disc is the best... lets you slip all day... i admit i like to slip a bit for daily driving... it just gets the car going faster...
When you floor the gas and the Rpm's climb faster than you mph, then your clutch is slipping.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

stock clutch was great for me.had about 40 launches on it,and i replaced it with an act.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take out your clutch restrictor if you want your clutch to last longer.