Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock D/V (BOV) installed wrong???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock D/V (BOV) installed wrong???

Has anyone here ever heard of the stock diverter valve being installed incorrectly from the factory? I recently bought a Greddy type s for my evo and after searching for some install posts and such(sound wasn't what I had expected, no greddy chirp) I found that I had installed my greddy wrong. I followed the way the facory one was installed. For those of you with the greddy, this orientation puts the adjustment bolt/nut on top, which is incorrect. I come to find out that infact that side should be facing the exhaust manifold. Now, my stock d/v was also oriented with the circular part of the valve on top, not to the side. Am I way off base here or has anyone else heard of this?
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yah... Man I think your way off! The Greddy type S does not churp... I had one on my DSM for years and it sounds like a rush of air. The bottom park of the DV that closes goes to the Intercooler pipe and the part on the side goes to the intake. Greddy type S the part connected to the falange goes to the Intercooler pipe, the other side goes to the intake. When you look in the part that goes into the intake you should see a piston rod, if you look in the other end you will see the part that piston rod closes that connects to the intercooler pipe. Air pressure built up from the intercooler pipe pushes up on the "closed" part and passes into the intake. I don't see how it would be installed wrong from the factory? Then again anything is possible...
Old Jan 15, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

the greddy does churp
It sounds like a retarded bird

Thr port on the side goes to the intake

Last edited by SilverEvo8owner; Jan 15, 2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Mine never churped.... Sounded like a rush of air to me....
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

There has been lots of instances of DV's being installed backward from the factory...
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

HAHA nice....!
Old Jan 15, 2005, 03:53 PM

Yeah, well mine was one of the backwards installs from factory then. I thought I understood how this valve would work, yet the way it was from the factoy totally contradicted that belief. I was dumbfounded trying to understand how my d/v worked if the plunger and spring were facing straight down towards the turbo inlet instead of towards the IC piping where the pressure could actually push it open. Now that I have "seen the light" i realized my thinking was right but the valve was somehow installed wrong... Anyways, I have like like 3500 miles on my car and hopefully nothing was messed up by this being incorrect. At least I caught it now. And by the way.. my type s had a rushing air sound when installed backwards... now it is a bird chirp.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:31 AM

Ttt
Old Jan 17, 2005, 07:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its funny you mention it.. There was a whole FLURRY of posts regarding a "shadetree mod" by reversing the stock BOV.. It should not be installed that way, I can't remember what the post was, but it was something to the effect of "Free BOV mod" or something like that.. I posted a few items on there explaining very clearly why it works (though not recommended on this car), and why you shouldn't do it that way anyway.. If you can wade through the hostile posts, there's some good info in that thread.