Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

can someone help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone help

Hey what up guys. I have an 03 Evo and it's all stock except for an intake. The question i have is for the last 3-4 days my car is giving off a weird smell. The best way i can describe it is the smell you smell from a hot glue gun or melted crayons or something like that. Once the engine is off it lingers for a few seconds and then the smell is gone. I looked all over the engine to see if it was something i ran over and was burning off and i can't find anything at all (looked twice already). Does anyone know what it could be or has had it happen to them. Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe your burning your clutch.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch, brake pads, or an outside chance, your passenger smells!!!
need more info, while driving hard, braking hard, normal driving etc...
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

I had this issue for a while right after I reinstalled my stock exhaust. I still have NO idea what it was, but it would linger for a bit. Smelled more like burnt plastic (EEK) ... it went away after a few weeks but for those few, I was a tad worried.

The smell you are describing could also be clutch as previously mentioned, I'd put money on that. Running the a/c a lot and doing a lot of around-town driving tends to make me slip the clutch a tad more than normal.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:36 PM

It happens whenever the engine is turned on or when i start to drive. I never drive my car hard really, just normal driving. I don't think it's my clutch, doesn't smell like burnt clutch. smells like a hot glue gun smell or burning plastic. When the hood is poped you can't really smell it comming from the engine itself that much. but when your outside the car on eather left or right side or inside at a stop light with the windows down you smell it stronger. once the car is off or not moving at all for a few the smell goes away. I don't know what it could be. It could be my brakes but i just got the 15,000 mile thing done to my car about 2 weeks ago and they said they were fine. I don't know what it is, but its buggin me because it stinks and kind of worries me.

Last edited by Failed_1; Aug 30, 2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Failed_1
It happens whenever the engine is turned on or when i start to drive. I never drive my car hard really, just normal driving. I don't think it's my clutch, doesn't smell like burnt clutch. smells like a hot glue gun smell or burning plastic. When the hood is poped you can't really smell it comming from the engine itself that much. but when your outside the car on eather left or right side or inside at a stop light with the windows down you smell it stronger. once the car is off or not moving at all for a few the smell goes away. I don't know what it could be. It could be my brakes but i just got the 15,000 mile thing done to my car about 2 weeks ago and they said they were fine. I don't know what it is, but its buggin me because it stinks and kind of worries me.
Well if you take it in they'll prolly tell you your intake filter is on fire or something tarded like that. I'd just give it a few days/a week to see if it goes away, and watch for stronger smells than normal.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

have you check under your car?

I remember running over a large plastic bag and the bag stuck to my exhaust piping. I had to literally scrap it off with a chisel. My car smelled like buring plastic for a week or so after that even tho i scraped most of it off.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:48 PM

i looked under the car, in the engine. Everywhere. I thought it was burning bugs, because i drove right threw a sworm of huge moths this weekend. but thier are non to be found. Yeah, i don't wanna take it in because they will tell me something stupid anyways. Last time i took my car in for the 15,000 mile service they told me that my turbo timer wasn't compatable with my intake, and they just wanted to give me a heads up on that........ worthless. then he went on to asking of i wanted to trade in my car for a new 05 evo because they were twin turbo....
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ I sencond that. It is probably a plastic bag melted to the exhaust.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

twin what???????????????
Old Aug 30, 2005, 09:52 PM

hahaha, he said they were twin turbo........ my car is still smelling