Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Check your oilstick!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2002, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Check your oilstick!

Well, a not too pleasant story this one, although not too bad:

Met up with Gerrit (N.ring) and his team at the Ring on Sunday and Gerrit was nice enough to take me round for a bit. First lap went fine but there was a smell of oil that grew stronger and stronger (we thought it was some oil which was spilled in the engine bay). We wanted to have a look at it, but then one of his team was leaving on a lap with their 7 and we drove after him. After overtaking him and reaching the Karussell, a mist of oil appeared on the passenger side of the windscreen and we stopped at Brünnchen, opened the engine bay, and there was ****loads of oil all over the engine bay. Big shock at first, but it turned out that the oil stick had come out for some reason and probably 0,5-1 liter of oil had sprayed out. Later when we were towed away, the people told us that there was a lot of oil on the track also, from Karussell to Hohe Acht.

Anyway, long story, it seems that either the stick hadn't been put in correctly after checking the oil level, or that the locking mechanism that keeps the stick in place was broken (I think that was the cause) or a combination of the two.

Has anyone else had this problem or heard of something like that? Could there be a different problem that made the oil surge out and that pushed the stick with it?
Old Feb 11, 2002, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like it was the turbo...
Old Feb 12, 2002, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Sometimes the dipstick just pops out due to boost pressure. Was he running higher than usual boost?

Mike L.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Its not really boost pressure that causes it, it is blow by around the pistons. The crank case breather can not vent fast enough so pressure builds and pops out the dipstick. Dip sticks poping out are a common mitsubishi occurence especially on higher mileage motors.

Matt
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Is it a problem that needs fixing, or can this happen without there being a big problem with the engine?
Old Feb 13, 2002, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Mike ...I take it the Evo di not have an oil catch tank fitted! This is a really important thing to fit, especially on such a demanding track like the ring. Blow by can be pretty dangerus....makes you wonder why they recirculate it back into the engine
Old Feb 13, 2002, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Here is one solution for your car.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/i...dycatchcan.htm

This will keep the oil from getting dumped back into your intake while still allowing the breather to be vented into the intake pipe for emission purposes.

I am currently working on a very built 4G63 and the owner has attached a spring to his dip stick to hold it down.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

I like ESSENTIAL oil catch tanks myself...I'm pretty sure they make some for Evos