Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX 5 speed vs. Evo MR 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX 5 speed vs. Evo MR 6 speed

I am considering purchasing a new evo and wanted to know how these two trans differ and any weakpoints they may have. I would ideally like the Evo IX as the MR is to expensive for me. How does the IX 5 speed tranny hold up to lets say ocassional drag racing and some bolt on mods?

And for anyone who has already dragged with the IX, would i need to shift into 5th before finishing the 1/4? I know theres a certain way to consider gear ratios but figure but cant exactly remeber what the ratio meant in terms of if taller was better for drag or vice versa.

Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inprogress
I am considering purchasing a new evo and wanted to know how these two trans differ and any weakpoints they may have. I would ideally like the Evo IX as the MR is to expensive for me. How does the IX 5 speed tranny hold up to lets say ocassional drag racing and some bolt on mods?

And for anyone who has already dragged with the IX, would i need to shift into 5th before finishing the 1/4? I know theres a certain way to consider gear ratios but figure but cant exactly remeber what the ratio meant in terms of if taller was better for drag or vice versa.

Thanks.
the ix 5 speed is almost identical to the 6 speed in gear ratios, the 5 sp is more suitable for drag racing.. But yes eventually when you start making a lot of power, you will either be hitting the **** of the rev limiter or YOU WILL need to shift to 5th which will affect et and mph
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
the ix 5 speed is almost identical to the 6 speed in gear ratios, the 5 sp is more suitable for drag racing.. But yes eventually when you start making a lot of power, you will either be hitting the **** of the rev limiter or YOU WILL need to shift to 5th which will affect et and mph

How about for highway long trips?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by greekven
How about for highway long trips?
6sp
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

6sp
How is the 6 spd superior for high way and long trips? Just out of curiosity...

And I dont plan on making big power, just some bolt ons (ie TBE, intake, reflash) and run that for a while before anything else...How will the 5 speed hold up?

And is the 5spd smooth and all that?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

And I dont plan on making big power, just some bolt ons (ie TBE, intake, reflash) and run that for a while before anything else...How will the 5 speed hold up?

Because the 6speed will keep the revs lower at higher speeds giving you better gas mileage. The 5 speed holds up just fine.. There quite a few Evos making 500+whp on the stock 5sp..If you plan on making big power in the future, i would recomend a 5sp
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:46 AM

I am thinking of doing that myself, only bolt ons.. That's why I am wondering about the 6spd. for long trips, is there going to be a big diffrerence.

I am not into drag racing, so that part is not my worry.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:47 AM

Because the 6speed will keep the revs lower at higher speeds giving you better gas mileage. The 5 speed holds up just fine.. There quite a few Evos making 500+whp on the stock 5sp..If you plan on making big power in the future, i would recomend a 5sp

Is it a big difference in revs?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'ld llike to know the same, how much of a diff are we talking in revs and how bad is it in long trips?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

At 70 MPH, the MR does 3000 RPM, the 5-speed in the 06 Evos does 3200 RPM, which is about 8.5% more.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

I suppose thats not so bad or is it?

based on the mitsu's website it says the 5spd gets 19/25 where as the 6spd gets 18/24...
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Inprogress,

The 5 speed tranny on the Evo 9 is has shorter gear ratios than on the Evo 8. The gear ratios on the regular Evo 9 5 speed are almost as short as on the MR 6 speed.

The shifting feeling is better on the MR, shorter throw and smooother engagement but the Evo 9 5 speed tranny is very good as well.

They are both strong trannys. There are a few videos circulating from Japan in which the MR shorter gears makes it faster for the 1/4 mile on stock trim(13.1sec vs 13.4sec for the 5 speed).

I still believe if you don't mod the MR, the 6 speed will get you a bit faster on the track but once you modd the car then you increase the trap speed and obligates you to have to shift to 5th gear while the 5 speed fitted Evos don't have to.

Just my .2c.

Carlos
Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos,
I appreciate the breakdown, really allows me to see what I'm getting into.

I just dont want the 5spd to be "bad" per say as in rough engagements, grinding and all that. I mean I also dont plan on modding to much so i figured the 5 spd would be ok...