Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch update.....I think I'm done with the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope you get the problem sussed out, it will be worth it in the long run. I feel, your pain though, I should have one of the fastest Evos in country with the money I've spent on clutches/installs.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
I've got an Exedy HD twin and it is not AT ALL "grabby". However, it does talk to you at stops with the clutch depressed (clatter). If it were not for that issue, I'd say it is perfect. Drivability is great.
+1 ... mine is really smooth.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you need a good organic clutch. Not sure of your power level. But if you are not launching your car alot then you do not need a race disk. They all are going to be more noisy and grabby. Good luck and don't get discouraged.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a friend of mine installed a cusco twin disc and it doesnt do any nosie at all its super quiet he had an exedy twin disc before this one and it was noisy as hell but this cusco clutch is great its super quiet! like 98%stock
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It wasn't 1200 for the clutch job. The 2400 includes the price of 2 clutches and flywheels plus 2 installs.

Sorry, Assassin, I warned you about going with local shops down there that aren't Evo experts, and I told you what clutch to get (Exedy Twin). You've just had bad luck since you bought the Evo used (always a high risk, imo), and you aren't near any Evo shops.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Assassin
Well, I figured i'd start a new thread since this is a different situation. Ya, that's right, situation. I had the Competition stage 2 clutch put in. It was reccommended not only by a local AWD shop, but VIP garage up in northern virginia who does nothing but Evo's and DSM's. I must say...............it feels like pure ****. This is the most chattery clutch I've ever felt in my LIFE!! The engagement is HORRIBLE!! My ****ty ACT felt better than this. On a positive note, my pedal pressure feels great and there is no more vibration. I don't know what to do. I'm going to take it back to the shop.

I'm seriously getting fed up with this. I didn't plan on spending $2400 on 2 clutch jobs. I wanted to spend it on modding. I don't track this car, I don't drive it hard, I rarely every launch it. This is really about it for me. I'm going to fix this, and I'm getting a BMW or Lexus. I can't do this anymore.

PS: I know sometimes chatter is normal with a new clutch, but this thing is horrible. It's almost like the car doesn't wanna move forward at all until clutch is fully engaged. It is sooooo chattery before engagement though.

AJ,
hey bro its hayden...clutch chatter isnt anything big...i think you may be tryin too much to be gentle with the clutch. clutches are made to be used. Yes for the first few hundred miles be gentle with engagment but dont slip it so much you get the clutch to shudder (feels like wheel hop in a honda lol ) anyway bro...a grabby clutch isnt bad...if you want sometime, come by n drive my car with the exedy twin plate...i think its gonna take some learning your new clutch. thats my $.02.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:54 PM

Sounds like you should have got something a little milder if you never track, launch, or drive it hard.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

act street disc good for the money, but the twin discs are worth everypenny.