Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)

Old Jan 4, 2015, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read this whole thread end to end

And the conclusion to this issue for evo 9 idle noise when cold is to replace the braket and timing belt and other parts listed in previous posts. Look at post 77 and 258 - Funny thing in the very begining of this thread someone from an island near australia mentioned something about a mount possibly this braket and that screws on always become lose causing thr noise in his case. Thank you all for your input here . I have 50k on my 2006 evo 9 mr and i took my car in to mitsubishi dealer in roseville, ca in 2008 and was told this noise is normal. Now that i know it is not I am going fully armed to have this replaced under warranty since i have mitsubishi receipts stating my complaint back in a day. Wish me luck! I am going to Mitsubishi in Costa Meda , CA althoughy they have horrific Yelp reviews i hope they will do a good job, i guess they are called south coast mitsubishi over here

Last edited by Futureall; Jan 4, 2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 09:42 AM

Remedy

This is the remedy
Attached Thumbnails IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)-img_2568.jpg  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 09:50 AM

Idle noise

THIS THREAD IS FOR THIS PARTICULAR NOISE ONLY - HAS BEEN ADDRESSED ABOVE ON WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO GET THIS FIXED.

I Spent 5 hours reading all 49 pages of this posts. People here put an INCREDIBLE amount of time and energy crawling under the car, taking everything apart to find the solution, Thanks to the crowd intelligence solution has been found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJX...ature=youtu.be
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by futureal
THIS THREAD IS FOR THIS PARTICULAR NOISE ONLY - HAS BEEN ADDRESSED ABOVE ON WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO GET THIS FIXED.

I Spent 5 hours reading all 49 pages of this posts. People here put an INCREDIBLE amount of time and energy crawling under the car, taking everything apart to find the solution, Thanks to the crowd intelligence solution has been found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJX...ature=youtu.be
if that's your video it's a PERFECT example of the noise that the belt makes when the bracket is rubbing
Old Jan 4, 2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
if that's your video it's a PERFECT example of the noise that the belt makes when the bracket is rubbing
Yeah, just filmed it this morning. I ve been driving with this noise for 4 years, started at 18k now I have 50k on the odometer. Now its time to put an end to this crap. I am the original owner and I guess lucky enough to have 10 year 100,000 mile warranty that should cover all that.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 09:33 AM

Where did you get this work done

Now that we all have a solution, Did anyone here use South Coast Mitsubishi to get this done? Did they honor warranty or charge you? And How much? Would be interesting to hear any other dealer experiences thanks Sorry it is kinda off topic may be i should created a separate thread for this
Old Jan 5, 2015, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

This isn't a warranty claim, you're going to be paying out of pocket for it.

If you want to try it as a warranty, good luck. It's a revised part, but doesn't cause any failures that have been noted so it's not really a "warranty" in that sense.

I'd recommend doing the full 60k service while you're doing this bracket as the timing belt has to come all the way off to replace the bracket
Old May 11, 2015, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

For anyone who reads this:

Revised part number is 1091A133

Mine's been 30k now, no noise to speak of.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:28 PM

So, there seems to be a consensus that this is only an issue on 9's. I have a similar sound on my 8 and some questions have come to mind.

If this is a problem exclusive to 9's, does that mean that the original bracket (bad one, causing noises) is different than one that comes factory on an 8? If that's the case, there are 3 brackets in total, 8, 9 bad, 9 good. Right?

If that's not the case, and there's only two, then the 8 bracket is the same as the bad 9 bracket, why is the noise more prevalent in 9's?

I plan on popping the serpentine belt off this weekend to to isolate the timing system and hopefully eliminate the possibility of an accessory pulley or serp belt. I suspect the noise will remain and I'll have to continue my investigation into the timing components and this bracket.
Old May 15, 2015, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had my engine serviced by Dogbox and it was the loudest belt squeak we've ever heard. The pulleys were just caked in rubber from the belt and pitted, so pitted.

We had to replace the pulleys and the belt and the noise is gone now. We shall see how long that lasts.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by K3vin
What was your solution
I had to replace all the pulleys and the belt. No noise no we will see if this lasts
Old Nov 10, 2015, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did my timing belt change and the noise is completely gone.

PARTS THAT WERE CHANGED:
-Timing Belt
-Balance Shaft Belt
-BS tensioner pulley
-TB tensioner pulley
-Timing idler pulley
-Auto Tensioner
-Water pump
-Gates accessory belt
-Cleaned the crank angle sensor and trigger plate

PARTS THAT WERE NOT CHANGED
-Bracket mentioned in this thread

CONCLUSION
-Bracket is not the source of this noise
Old Nov 11, 2015, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Give it a while. If it doesn't change then congratulations, but saying that the bracket isn't the source of the issue is the incorrect thing to do.

You're one person, and the bracket has removed the noise permanently for many more than one
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Give it a while. If it doesn't change then congratulations, but saying that the bracket isn't the source of the issue is the incorrect thing to do. You're one person, and the bracket has removed the noise permanently for many more than one
And Mitsubishi redesigned a part.....how often does that happen?
I would think that alone would indicate that there is a reason to use the revised part, it's not like a manufacturer to change a whole part .....
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give it a while. If it doesn't change then congratulations, but saying that the bracket isn't the source of the issue is the incorrect thing to do.

You're one person, and the bracket has removed the noise permanently for many more than one

Dont get me wrong, I understand what you guys are saying. My question is, if it is the bracket that is the problem, why did the noise stop if I did not change the bracket?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)