Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ekizenbe
does anyone know if this bracket was installed on evo 9 from the factory? I have a very very late production build and was wondering if I should replace this bracket or not.

thanks!
no. replace it when you do your timing belt "just because" IMO

$150 part to fix it, saves the hassle of doing it over again if it start squeaking

edit: I had my service done 10k miles ago, completely forgot about this because I haven't heard a peep from the car since then
Old Jul 13, 2014, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by idriveanevo
+1, mine started after clutch install, more info please!!
I have a lot of clutch chatter on my ix
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:53 AM
Evom Guest Editor

I have had this "squeeky" sound from time to time on my evo 9. I conclude that it is a poor design by mitsubishi of the Accessory belt. Once I change my belt, no noise for 3-4 months, once the belt is worn then here comes the squeeky noise again.

If you look at a brand new mitsubishi belt (underside) it is very "furry" almost feels like the surface of a pool table. Once the belt starts to wear this "furry" material starts fading rapidly hence causing the squeeky sound. If you look at say a Honda belt, no "furry" material on the underside. Changed my belts each time the squeeky noise occurs and EVERY SINGLE time the noise goes away. Kinda makes sense why Mitsubishi makes the accessory belt change easy and usually takes under 5 mins to change...they expect you to change it often

Not sure of a way around this, just keep purchasing belts Any suggestions for a more permanent fix

P.S. Not sure if the bracket issue discussed is a USDM issue...I have a JDM evo 9 and noise from accessory belt only

Last edited by Trinity; Aug 5, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude

I have this same problem ever figure out what's wrong with it?

Originally Posted by jopinoyz
hey, i have the same sound too.
in the morning (engine are cold) sound like old belt, when its hot noise goes away.
So, i change the crankshaft belt, after that still have the same sound. but goes away when the engine is hot!
i dont know! more info PLEASE
Old Oct 27, 2014, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Same noise here on an 8 w/ a 4g64 block!

exactly same as video... goes away once fully warmed up....
Old Oct 28, 2014, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys should read the first few pages of this thread.

On the IX Mitsubishi actually came out with a revised part. The explanation and part numbers are in this thread. For Mitsubishi to revise a part there had to be something wrong with the old one.

It is called a cylinder bracket.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51

On the IX Mitsubishi actually came out with a revised part. The explanation and part numbers are in this thread. For Mitsubishi to revise a part there had to be something wrong with the old one.

Not sure if your talking to me.... but I've ready more than just a few pages about this issue. From what I gathered it was not common on an evo 8. Furthermore I didn't see anyone with a 4g64 setup mention having this issue. Which is why I mentioned I have the exact issue all the videos show, same symptoms etc. Not that this part of a 4g64 is different... just throwing it out there. Also there is no solution in the first few pages.. it's not until like page 43-45 that there is a confirmed solution and part number: 1091A133

Timing belt is almost new so tearing into it and spending money on this makes me want to puke.

Last edited by GravityKnight; Oct 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:25 PM
Evom Guest Editor

I can only speak for my experience but I believe its the design of the accessory belt in my case and not a "bracket". If it was a bracket that needs changing wouldn't it make the noise constantly even after the engine is warm?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trinity
I can only speak for my experience but I believe its the design of the accessory belt in my case and not a "bracket". If it was a bracket that needs changing wouldn't it make the noise constantly even after the engine is warm?
It's one of those things in life... hard to explain why once it fully gets warmed up it goes away.

Let's just be glad it goes away
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

FWIW mine did not go away when warm. The noise only went away after the bracket was replaced
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trinity
Replace the bracket. 30k+ miles, and not even a single hint of that noise since I changed mine.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:12 PM

IM having the same issue on my ix now!Im going to go buy the bracket and see if its gonna work... it better work lol
Old Dec 21, 2014, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

you should be doing the full timing belt service when you do this also. everything is already off the car anyways
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51

I still don't understand why Mitsu just didn't make this a full blown recall...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4bangn
I still don't understand why Mitsu just didn't make this a full blown recall...
If I had to speculate, it would be because I still don't believe anyone has reported a belt failure due to the bracket causing the belt to rub, and make that noise. So....I'm sure as far as they're concerned it's simply an annoying noise that they see no need to fix at their cost. Do I agree with that? Hell no. I absolutely hated that noise, and it was totally worth it to me to pay for the bracket, and a new timing belt earlier than needed to make the noise go away.

Quick Reply: IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)