Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Head studs yay or nay
Get them. Cheap safety net
59.18%
No need at this point. Keep the extra money
40.82%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Honestly heads studs or not

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny to see this thread resurrected, but I run 25 psi no knock on pump. I say its a waste of time when doing just cams unless you really have the extra money burning a whole in your pocket. If you have the time and money then do it. If your tune is on then its on, but if you dont trust your tuner, then get them.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I have ran 29-31 psi daily for three years or 45,000 miles on stock headgasket and stock headstuds. This was e85 the whole time, not pump gas but I thought the results would be helpful.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im at this point now. More like past it. I recently installed a meth kit and having been pushing the boost lately to 28-30psi on a ported 9 turbo on my 8.

My tune has been knock free the whole time but all of a sudden its started to knock. Along with that my car has been over heating. My car only 43k on it so I don't think its the thermostat. Its fine for a while then all of a sudden in traffic it will start to over heat like a air pocket is in there.

So at school(tech school) I flushed my radiator system. Even doing the flush it still over heating on me. I think the car is starting to push coolant into the cylinder's under WOT causing the knock.

Since coming to that conclusion I have been taking it easy on it until I buy new head studs and head gasket.

What do you guy's think ?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, this thread was brought back to life.. Lol i agree with ttp headstuds are a waste unless your 500 hp
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Im at this point now. More like past it. I recently installed a meth kit and having been pushing the boost lately to 28-30psi on a ported 9 turbo on my 8.

My tune has been knock free the whole time but all of a sudden its started to knock. Along with that my car has been over heating. My car only 43k on it so I don't think its the thermostat. Its fine for a while then all of a sudden in traffic it will start to over heat like a air pocket is in there.

So at school(tech school) I flushed my radiator system. Even doing the flush it still over heating on me. I think the car is starting to push coolant into the cylinder's under WOT causing the knock.

Since coming to that conclusion I have been taking it easy on it until I buy new head studs and head gasket.

What do you guy's think ?
Go drive around and warm the engine up, try not to boost, just drive around so coolant gets to normal operating temp. Then get out and look where the coolant level is in your overflow, maybe mark it with a pencil (easily erase). Then get back in and go make a 2-3 WOT pull. Get back out of car and look at your overflow and see if it has raised significantly. If it has, more than likely blown headgasket.

Do you ever notice coolant leaking from the overflow?
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Get them it may save you down the line
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed that my over flow filling up before. I made sure I bought a new radiator cap so I would cover my bases.

Still having cooling issues though. I not sure if I want to go out and do any pulls. I really have been babying it. I ordered new head studs, head gasket, and thermostat from MAP should be here tuesday.

Ive been noticing now that my car smells like its burning coolant now nevermind. I think if anything its getting worse so Im trying to not drive it.

Last edited by Evo8Emperor; Jun 14, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

You could make an argument that aftermarket headstuds might be overkill but for only $100 who really wins this argument. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pushing 27psi or more on meth and still no problems with stock.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
Account Disabled

I was against headstuds and rodbolts on a bone stock motor years ago. I'm still against it. I'm also not a fan of the lower grade ARP fasteners either. If your going to "upgrade" then freking upgrade. Furthermore if you lift a stock evo head call yourself lucky that you didn't push the pistons. That is my experience/opinion. If you want a proper headstud look at the L1 material from ARP or the A1 fasteners. Still, evo heads are solid. They don't flex like the heads of the past. If you lift a 7 bolt head you need to check what the f*** it is you think your doing.

EDIT:

Many of my friends have pulled big no no's on stock virgin motors and these suckers take it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dan l
I was against headstuds and rodbolts on a bone stock motor years ago. I'm still against it. I'm also not a fan of the lower grade ARP fasteners either. If your going to "upgrade" then freking upgrade. Furthermore if you lift a stock evo head call yourself lucky that you didn't push the pistons. That is my experience/opinion. If you want a proper headstud look at the L1 material from ARP or the A1 fasteners. Still, evo heads are solid. They don't flex like the heads of the past. If you lift a 7 bolt head you need to check what the f*** it is you think your doing.

EDIT:

Many of my friends have pulled big no no's on stock virgin motors and these suckers take it.
They are called L19 studs.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

i'm about to put install a new oem head gasket and put in arp stud that i already have, should i put them in or not??
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

everything you need to make that decision is in this thread!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ted B

When installing head studs, I see no reason to physically remove the head. One can release one bolt at a time (starting from the outside), and replace each with the stud shaft so the head stays aligned. When all bolts have been removed and all studs are in place, the nuts can be torqued in proper sequence.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is the correct way for all us lazy folks to replace their headstuds without taking the head off. Uneven torque distribution via the 1x1 method yields a 50% chance of cracking the stock headgasket into pieces.

I've got just over 100k miles on my evo, and I plan on replacing my head studs this way in a couple of weeks. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

double post