Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Updated Forge Recirc Piston

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Updated Forge Recirc Piston

I changed out my piston in my DV with the new style one from Forge. The new piston is the cylinder style below.
I went with the Blue spring and it seems to be working well.
Interestingly the car runs better but I think the green spring I had was bad. It is about 1/4 to 1/2" short in comparison to all the other springs I got in the kit. It may have just lost it's temper. When I tested it with the vacuum pump previously it opened at like 1/2 inHg.
With the new piston design the vacuum chamber requires more vaccum to actuate the piston. With the blue spring I have initial movement at 10 inHg and it is fully open at around 19 or 20. Remember stock was 14 intial so it is easier to open but will not leak like the stock valve.
I do have the valve in the way Forge recommended with the barb horizontal, not vertical. The noise that I was getting in the past with the valve installed this way and the old piston is gone.
So the piston does cure the odd squeak noise, which is good news.
George from Forge, if you read this please reply as to your plans to use the new design piston in the valves in the future. And thank you for your help with the piston.
Attached Thumbnails Updated Forge Recirc Piston-combovalve.jpg  
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just installed my forge recirc dv and the only thing i can tell is that the boost is holding better... still waiting on my tuning kit and intake...
Old Jul 28, 2003, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Can someone post an accurate idea as to what colour spring = what boost application. I have read conflicting reports...
Old Jul 28, 2003, 08:37 AM

Tim,
The green spring is slightly shorter and it is the softest. There is no color coordination to boost levels that can be equated to each vehicle. Variations from air filters, CAI, catback, turbo back, boost controller, etc....... will all have an effect as well as driver feedback. I would suggest that if anyone has an issue with the standard blue spring to put the yellow spring in. We have the blue spring in our VTA on the car here with no issues.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
bs
Evolving Member

good to hear the piston cures the noise.......i haven't checked my mail in a few days, but hopefully my new piston has arrived also.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

I'm planning on ordering this soon, and was wondering what spring is best to use with a stock Evo8?

I'll do some searching of the fourms too, to see what I can find.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Completely stock I'd say Yellow is probably the best.
Once you start making any changes you will need to figure out what spring is best. Blue works really well for me right now but it's a little heavier then yellow and I am not stock, per se.
Yellow is just my guess though, I had green in before and it worked fine for me. You want the lightest you can go without leaking any boost when the boost is high. You can start with the blue and drive it and see how it drives.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

damn it.. my bov isn't making any whoosh sound.. it kind of sounds like a muffled fart sound! i've tried all the springs and put it in with the hose verticle and horizontal... same results... i have the shims but haven't messed with them so far.. can somebody help me?

forge recirc (grooved type piston) and bauscher intake is the setup now...

Last edited by keviin; Aug 12, 2003 at 12:51 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

There is either something wrong with the install or the valve has a problem. Try pushing the piston all the way in manually and putting your finger over the vacuum port to see if it is holding vacuum. Sounds like you may have a leak in the o-rings.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know for sure.....(Facts not Fiction) the order of the spring rate Highest to Lowest?

I got my tuning kit and it ahs a yellow spring, green spring and a red spring; Does this mean that I shoud have a blue spring in it?

Is the yellow spring Lighter than the blue?

I am thinking about going down a spring and maybee addinga shim or two to see if there is any difference.

I get a little bit of surge with high boost not all of the time though. Im thinking the spring might be just a little too heavy.

Thanks Guys,
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Lightest to Heaviest:
Green
Yellow
Blue
Red
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tom,

I've never had any "funny" noises from mine... a few months old. Did you change the piston design long ago?
Old Aug 13, 2003, 04:10 PM

I think it was a while ago now. Time flies by very quickly. The newer piston design has a flat bottom vs. the concave bottom of the original.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 04:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ForgeMotorsport
I think it was a while ago now. Time flies by very quickly. The newer piston design has a flat bottom vs. the concave bottom of the original.
Thanks, I ordered mine after you ran out of "polished" and only had black in stock... funny, just what I wanted.