Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3582HTA vs 6265 Dyno Comparo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know what my friends evo put down 543 at 23 psi on a 2.0L...hopefully ams will post the dyno sheets up when they get done with the rest of his tuning on race gas. It will most likely be in their forum.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:31 PM
Account Disabled

The so called swiss cheese drilled covers suck - I wont use one

If AMS added a decent ported shroud cover that is going to make significant improvement

I only use genuine Garret ported shrouds or Tial when I can and that is what I recomend to my customers

The drilled swiss chese is best left for the rats !
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash

If AMS added a decent ported shroud cover that is going to make significant improvement

I only use genuine Garret ported shrouds or Tial when I can and that is what I recomend to my customers

I had bad compressor surge on my 35r setup. I forked out 235 bones for one of those swiss cheese covers. It didnt do squat for my surge. I was pizzed to say the least. I dont know why they continue to sell those covers??
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Some people may have problems...I never had a problem with the 35r "swiss cheese" cover worked just fine for me.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Crzbiasmr
Some people may have problems...I never had a problem with the 35r "swiss cheese" cover worked just fine for me.
Yeah, but what that means is your setup is not spooling the turbo as fast others are. Its got nothing to do with whether or not the cover is doing its job of preventing surge. You could put standard cover on your setup and you will not see surge.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Yeah, but what that means is your setup is not spooling the turbo as fast others are. Its got nothing to do with whether or not the cover is doing its job of preventing surge. You could put standard cover on your setup and you will not see surge.
+1
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Today 02:36 PM
94AWDcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoFlash View Post

I had bad compressor surge on my 35r setup. I forked out 235 bones for one of those swiss cheese covers. It didnt do squat for my surge. I was pizzed to say the least. I dont know why they continue to sell those covers??
I need to figure out how to quote someone and not clip off their name

From a manufacturing perspective, it is much faster and simpler to drill a circle of holes and mill the grove in the cover than it is to remove all that material and do a full on surge port. If I were to make a educated guess, I would say that you could process 5 bullet hole covers in the time it takes to process 1 TiAl style cover. Economics is often a motivator for manufacturing processes.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
Economics is often a motivator for manufacturing processes.
Not ours it isn't

of course, we do have to factor that into the price
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
holy crap, we sell our cover for $195 to the public
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by konstantinosIX
I think that if 850 was better they would had post the results.... probably... just like the gt35 back to back test...
Don't you think???
Just to put this to bed as far as our involvement is concerned we never did any kind of a GT850R to HTA35R test. Had we done this test we would of surely posted the results as we sell both turbos. We would love to do the test but I'm sure some of you have noticed how many projects we have here at the shop

On top of our daily workload with our customers we have:

The Castrol Top shop Challenge
The Sport Compact Car ultimate street car challenge
Tommy's Bonneville car
The blue Time attack car
Our own Drag car

When we get time and if the test has not been done we will be more than happy to perform it.

Also we never claimed that our GT850R made more power than a 62/62 using the same turbine housing. We use the Garrett style ported shroud for the same reason Al posted....it works better. That cover might yield more HP then its drilled counterpart but again...we have not tested them back to back

As we have posted prior, the GT850R came about before the 6262 even had a name...so we named it. We have kept it because of our unique housing setup on the turbo. No secrets here guys. There was a decent sized thread about the two turbos a while back that where we laid out the difference and our reason for naming it what we did.

Eric
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:06 PM

I have dyno the both housings(T04S) in a sc61 turbo the Precision and the standard Garrett , at 1,3 bar (19,5lbs) I gain over 100--150 rpm on the spool up and 12 whp peak hp and over aprox 6-10whp on the powerband with the stock Garrett housing, also I did not experience any surge on both comp housings, this was done on a sr20 motor.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JPSR20DET
I have dyno the both housings(T04S) in a sc61 turbo the Precision and the standard Garrett , at 1,3 bar (19,5lbs) I gain over 100--150 rpm on the spool up and 12 whp peak hp and over aprox 6-10whp on the powerband with the stock Garrett housing, also I did not experience any surge on both comp housings, this was done on a sr20 motor.

holy run-on sentence...your language arts teacher failed!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JPSR20DET
interesting. Maybe will have to test them soon to see if it makes a difference in HP.

Eric
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:28 PM

hta for the win. But the test seems bias hmm.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

850r ftw!

Quick Reply: 3582HTA vs 6265 Dyno Comparo