Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3582HTA vs 6265 Dyno Comparo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Thanks, Mike. I do to.

I applaud your results and hard work.

I do note, though, that when you're a dealer who makes a living selling parts, I understand why you would look for turbo options other than FP, since FP's profit margins for dealers are lower than some other companies, of which PTE is a good example. That's been posted by other vendors for years. But that fact is also a good reason for us to look carefully at all data and opinions posted by you and other vendors, too, since you all have a financial "dog in the fight".

For the rest of us who are turbo buyers, just looking for a great turbo for our own applications, there's no "hype" in the results that Buschur and others have documented with the various FP HTA equipped turbos. And if you're looking for a TS option, as Ted B. noted, the 3582HTA looks like its head and shoulders above any other options available.
I chose the 6262 because i liked the specs on it.. The 3586 i dont think was out when i put my car together or i would have liked to compare it.. The 6262 made plenty of power at 62mm and the trap speeds more than correlated to show the power was on target with even most 67mm turbos..

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Sep 21, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Mike, your results basically demonstrated beyond a doubt that one doesn't need to go larger than 6262 to go stupid fast in the 1/4 mi, which means no more unstreetably large turbos (e.g. 42R) need be considered, except for perhaps the most outer fringe of racing. And to further that point, you did it with $1.49/gallon fuel that can be had at some 1900 stations across the U.S. One doesn't need to give a hoot about drag racing to be impressed with that.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shearer
I haven't though.

Comparing the 6265 to the hta3582 is not an ideal comparison IMO. The 65mm turbine wheel is much better suited to a larger displacement engine or something with a larger compressor wheel than the 62mm wheel. I feel all of these turbos perform very well but you have to keep it apples to apples.

I saw it mentioned that the PTE wheels were made of 6061? How was the specific alloy actually determined?
So you think the twin scroll t3 applications were just mis-sized completely or now you believe it actually works?

Just wondering?

Am I saying that twin scroll doesn’t work? No, but currently I am not a fan of it with the smaller turbos. Turbocharging technology is in its infancy and constantly evolving for the better and in a couple years time we may have parts that work significantly better for this application. With the current parts available, in and outside the US, I do not feel it is the best choice and the performance does not add up.
Ever since I had Geoff explain it to me in person I was a believer haha.

Scorke
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ted B
The basic difference between 6061 and 2000 series is the 6061 alloy has more silicon, while 2000 series has more copper. 6061 is more 'user friendly' in that it is easy to weld and is a general purpose alloy. 2000 series has significantly greater tensile strength and better fatigue resistance, but I believe it is a little less corrosion resistant (not that it would be an issue in this application).
I wasn't inquiring about the differences in the alloy's. I'd like to know how the end user went about determining it was a 6000series aluminum, specifically 6061. There are several methods available for identifying a material, some are more accurate than others. I'd like to hear the method that person used.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scorke
So you think the twin scroll t3 applications were just mis-sized completely or now you believe it actually works?

Just wondering?
Who said anything about a twin scroll t3? I'm not that stupid to build something like that.

The vast majority of the t4 turbos we use come with a divided exhaust housing and there is no fall back to using a divided manifold on an open turbine housing. To cut back on part numbers, we build all of the t4 stuff with divided collectors.

I'm still not one to claim the twin scroll stuff works like other vendors say it does. Everyone has there own way to go about achieving a certain goal and my personal way of doing things is different than this twin scroll hype. If one person wants to achieve there goals by going the twin scroll route I'm not going to tell them no, I'm going to give them a package that will achieve there goals and performance desires.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:57 AM

unbias nice job
Old Jan 12, 2009, 04:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I wasn't inquiring about the differences in the alloy's. I'd like to know how the end user went about determining it was a 6000series aluminum, specifically 6061.
I don't know Ron. The first thing I would do to in seeking a reliable answer to that question is to ask someone in that organization who knows.

I'm still not one to claim the twin scroll stuff works like other vendors say it does.
At this point in time, vendors' claims are no longer the sole source of insight in this matter. Several individuals and tuners have now tested the waters with 35R variants and 4088s all in TS T4 configuration (including myself), and are revealing the results.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

dam what ever happened to this thread? i want to no more and has there been any new testing???
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

It's been almost a year since this thread has been updated so who is the winner?

1. 3586
2. 3582
3. 6262

Anybody have a dyno between the 6262 and the HTA86
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the dyno I believe ht86 made the most.. at the track the 6262 has gone the Quickest.. We are working on putting the HTA in the 8s now and making well over 800hp.. well see..