Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Freeze Plug pop out!!!!! Its still runs fine after put back. What could this be?

Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-z
Rebirth of this thread. just happen to me tonight! Water pump freeze plug anyone??
Usually caused by a blown or leaking headgasket. It seems more common on 2005 for some reason.

Cooling systems should only have 14-18psi maximum. Anymore from cylinder pressure leakage into the coolant passage and pop.

Popping the block freeze plugs are much more fun and exciting to see though!

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Oct 18, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
A compression test will not show a blown a headgasket.. You need to do a leakdown test back thru the cooling system.. I have seen popped freeze plugs and put it back in and never had another issue..
Yes I have seen them pop and get put back in and never an issue, always wonder if maybe the gasket lifted for just a bit.

Sean

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Oct 19, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

sucks
QUOTE=TTP Engineering;7626775]Usually caused by a blown or leaking headgasket.[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thats what i wanted to hear
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
Yes I have seen them pop and get put back in and never an issue, always wonder if maybe the gasket lifted for jsut a bit.

Sean
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evovin
I will try to do a compression test (to 38psi) with the freeze plug off to see if my head is lifting or leaking.
Compression test will not show anything if the headgasket leaks under boost a bit.

Sean
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JordanS4
do I have to take the turbo kit out to put this back in? it's over cylinder #4 on the block. I just don't know if this plug that I bought from autozone is the right size (I'm getting an OEM one tomorrow) or if it's impossible to get it in there by hand.
Get it from the dealer, dont use the part store ones and use a new one.

Sean
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
Get it from the dealer, dont use the part store ones and use a new one.

Sean
Yes get the OEM ones, they are thicker.

You should replace your headgasket also. If it has enough force to blow out a stock waterjacket plug then 95% of the time your head lifted and you will continue to leak over time until you fix it.

You probably need to take off the exhaust manifold at minimum to access the plug.

You had said water pump freeze plug in your OP. Its not a water pump freeze plug if it is not in the water pump.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the info Sean.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Usually caused by a blown or leaking headgasket. It seems more common on 2005 for some reason.

Cooling systems should only have 14-18psi maximum. Anymore from cylinder pressure leakage into the coolant passage and pop.

Popping the block freeze plugs are much more fun and exciting to see though!
Strange that you mention it seems to happen more on 2005 evos. I wonder why that could be the case? Its not like the water pumps between the years are any different...In my case I popped the filler plug in my water pump. Got that replaced and all seemed fine until two weeks later where I blew my headgasket. I believe that the two instances were related however I am far from an expert.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Strange that you mention it seems to happen more on 2005 evos. I wonder why that could be the case? Its not like the water pumps between the years are any different...In my case I popped the filler plug in my water pump. Got that replaced and all seemed fine until two weeks later where I blew my headgasket. I believe that the two instances were related however I am far from an expert.
They are related. They are the same thing.

The HG popped the freeze plug, you replaced it but the underlying cause was still there.

Car's will run fine on leaking headgaskets most of the time.

Our stock engine 605whp Evo headgasket was leaking for 2-3 months. We ran it up to 42psi. It would eat coolant consistently. Still made big power, just needed a gallon of coolant in the trunk. Finally it popped the weep hole in the water pump and we decided to replace both at once.

The water pumps are different on different years. 06 is different and I think there has been a superseding part number on 03-05 along the way.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Oct 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
They are related. They are the same thing.

The HG popped the freeze plug, you replaced it but the underlying cause was still there.

Car's will run fine on leaking headgaskets most of the time.

Our stock engine 605whp Evo headgasket was leaking for 2-3 months. We ran it up to 42psi. It would eat coolant consistently. Still made big power, just needed a gallon of coolant in the trunk. Finally it popped the weep hole in the water pump and we decided to replace both at once.

The water pumps are different on different years. 06 is different and I think there has been a superseding part number on 03-05 along the way.
I didnt realize the waterpumps were different between the VIII's and IX's...Its also interesting that you mention the weep hole being popped. Did the freeze plug also pop? In my case my freeze plug completely popped out. There was also coolant leaking out of the weep hole so I needed to replace the entire waterpump...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Resurrecting

Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
did you bleed the cooling system?
Sorry for the Resurrection, but i hate starting threads on topics that have already been discussed a bunch. Anyways...
My water pump plug blew out tonight, and it just so happens that i had just added some coolant a few hours prior to it happening. I added Coolant to the overflow tank, as well as the Radiator. I then drove about 5 miles, parked for a few hours, then on my way home i heard what i thought was a backfire(going maybe 40-45mph @10-20psi maybe) and when i pulled into 7-11 parking lot i saw a bunch of smoke, so i popped the hood and saw coolant everywhere. Then noticed the water pump was pouring out coolant.
Could this be from having air trapped in the system?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 02:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WelDun1
Could this be from having air trapped in the system?
Exhaust gas from a leaking head gasket.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When the IX's were new this was a common problem. Some were headgasket, some not.