Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil1 15W50... stock engine...discuss

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Familiarize yourself with what makes an oil a "30w" oil. It is an actual range of viscosity measurements. Some oils are "barely" a specific weight or "almost" a higher weight.
http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-...cosity-grades/

The standardized temperature for taking viscosity readings at operating temp is 100*C (212*F). When you look at a spec sheet or oil analysis, you will see this reading.

I would recommend taking average temp readings while tracking your car or while driving your car and select an oil weight that provides the recommended viscosity at your average operating temperature.

Also, understand that oil will shear under use. Your oil will shear down to a lower weight over time/usage. IE, if the bottle said 10w-30 on the way in, after 5000 miles, it is probably a 20 weight oil. You'll see this on your oil analysis in "centistokes".

That being said, a few oil analysis data points will be able to tell you how long you can run an oil. Viscosity is linear with temperature so you can use online calculators to find out what weight your oil is at true operating temperature.
http://www.viscopedia.com/calculator...extrapolation/

The real answer to high oil temps is an oil cooler, but the world isn't perfect. Opting for a 50w oil while on track where your temps are closing in on 300*F is not a bad idea. At 290*F, Mobil 1 15w-50 is an average 20w oil in terms of viscosity. Just remember that after a few track days, you are no longer starting with the same weight oil that originally went in, so the resulting viscosity isn't going to be the same. This is an area where Motul 300V shines in my experience as it retains viscosity better than any oil I have dealt with. Think of it as an extended drain interval oil for track cars. Otherwise, just plan on changing oil more often if you are doing a lot of track days.

I have seen some insight from people very knowledgeable on this engine say that the oil pump has issues at higher RPM. Does anyone have any specific insight on this issue?

Last edited by nissanfanatic; Sep 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If you are seeing 300F on track you need to seriously invest in a better oil cooler, oil cooler ducting, venting etc. etc. On the motorsports forum I think most folks are seeing 230->280 for setups that have reasonable cooling from what I remember (I see about 235 myself but I have an upgraded oil cooler, oil cooler duct and custom IV oil cooler vent)

OT, I've ran 10w30 in my car since I bought it...switched to HM when it was about 5 years old. Tracked the car for years with that setup for going on 12 years now with no issues. But it's mainly OEM on the inside (other than cams, Kiggly HLA) and is pushing about 320whp. If you go to non OEM clearances or are pushing bigger power then it may change.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newly rebuilt engine

Hi everyone,

I was just going through this thread and wanted to clarify a doubt of mine.

Engine mods list:
Wiseco 1400 HD Pistons and rings 85.5 mm bore.
7 bolt Eagle H-Beam Rods
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
GSC Billet S2 Cams (274/274)
Supertech 4G63 Dual Valve Spring Kit
GSC intake and exhaust valves
ACL 4G63 7-Bolt Split Thrust Tri-Metal Main Bearings
ACL 4G63 7-Bolt Tri-Metal Rod Bearings

Ive done the break in and oil change after 1k kms. And then had put in Motul 300v Chrono 10w40.
It now time for the next oil change and im confused whether i should be going a bit higher to Motul 300v Competition 15w50 as many in this forum have said it's recommend for built engines.

I live in Dubai, UAE. In winter the temps dont go below 12-15 deg C. And during summer the avg is hovering around 45 deg C.

Would really appreciate your opinions here.

Thanks 😊
Old Jan 30, 2018, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
http://www.definitions.net/definition/viscosity%20index
Old Jan 31, 2018, 07:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
really depends on your bearing clearances.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
+1...and you’d be surprised how much a good quality radiator can help control oil temperature. Most engine heat is generated in the cylinder head, where oil and coolant do a lot of work. If the radiator can’t pull sufficient heat from the head, oil temps will certainly rise. That being said, an oil cooler does a fantastic job, but the more temperature control the coolant can perform, the easier oil temps can be held in check. That will allow lower viscosity oil to be run, which is more efficient (i.e. less heat and power loss).