Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cooling Fans stay on??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cooling Fans stay on??

I bought my Evo a couple months ago and I've noticed that the cooling fans stay on all of the time even when the car is not running with the key in the "ON" position. I tried searching and was only able to come up with a dead older thread. Does anyone know what could cause this? I'm thinking the relay and am about to try a new one and see what happens. Is there a specific troubleshooting procedure I could use to diagnose this? If so could someone please let me know, thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of my friends who is a mechanic did something similar to his ralliart. even after driving, his motor is staying cool because his fan is on at all times.

did you notice the same?
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

My engine still goes up to the normal operating temperature range and heats up just as quickly as any other to that point, the fan also varies in speed constantly which is what annoys me more than the fact that they are on all the time.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, just went out and tried a new relay, still the same thing. I was looking at the fan also and saw the box that is mounted to the fan itself, not sure what its called, but I wonder if there could be something wrong with that since it seems to be something would sense temperatures or something, I could be wrong
Old Oct 23, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Ok, just went out and tried a new relay, still the same thing. I was looking at the fan also and saw the box that is mounted to the fan itself, not sure what its called, but I wonder if there could be something wrong with that since it seems to be something would sense temperatures or something, I could be wrong
You are actually absolutely right, it is not the relay, but that box you mention. It's called the fan control module, get a good used working unit (ebay, for sale forums) or a new one from the dealer and your problem will be solved.
If I am not mistaken, evos 8 had a recall for that, might want to try and get the free repair
Old Oct 23, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'll try calling the dealership then to find out any additional information that I can. Fixing a problem with the cooling system shouldn't matter if you have mods on your car would it? Just wondering if they'd be picky about doing the repair if it comes down to that.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Yes there is a recall on the 8's for the fan controller. Mine never had a problem but they replaced it any way under the recall when I was having a timing belt changed.

I would be careful going in with mods. I never took my car in at all while I still had warranty. The reason was because I called and asked dealers if they knew the car was modded even if work was done on something totally different would it affect the warranty? The answer they gave me was yes it would.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Figures they would still mind if its got mods, I bought the car this way from a used car dealership so there was nothing I could do about them being on there. O well, guess I'll be checking online to buy one tonight gotta be one cheaper than $67 on mitsubishiparts.com
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck with it. I was in the same boat as you buying the car used with mods already being on it. You might even want to check to make sure they haven't already tried to void the warranty with previous owner. When I bought mine I just gave them vin and asked how much warranty was left and if any warranty work had been done. They told me everything about it.

Oh yeah the dealer told me that when the fan controller fails it is one of two things that happens. It either runs all the time or not at all.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

If it is a lifetime recall then it shouldn't matter if you are modded or not, since you are not really asking for a warranty repair, but for a recall on a faulty part of the car (not affected by moddifications whatsoever)