Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Howling noise @ 65mph in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Hrmm... I guess it's time to call Shep or TRE.

How does the x-fer case work if there is no ACD pressure to lock up the differential? How does that affect cornering?

I've had this question as well.... what causes the actual whining? is it the ring and pinion eating into each other from not meshing properly?

The acd is for the center diff, I used a core out of a 03 evo for the parts I needed. Still has the lsd front with the regular center diff. Lighter, got ride of that huge pump, and lines etc.

I run lightweight shockproof in my trans and heavy in the x-case.

Fathouse
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Not trying to thread jack, but does anyone know what causes the whining in first gear, that starts to go away in second? Is it coming from the 1st and 2nd gear or is it actually coming from the transfer case.

Last edited by lillev23; Dec 13, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fathouse
The acd is for the center diff, I used a core out of a 03 evo for the parts I needed. Still has the lsd front with the regular center diff. Lighter, got ride of that huge pump, and lines etc.

I run lightweight shockproof in my trans and heavy in the x-case.

Fathouse
Have you seen the lightweight shockproof separate? I was cleaning it out of all of the oiling passages in my gearbox when I rebuilt it last year.

BAH. I have a few quarts of Heavyweight SP left...and the AMS oil dealer lives 2 blocks from me.

Interesting bit on the transfer case mod. So I could buy a regular (non-acd) transfer case and take my Front LSD out of my transfer case... ship them both to shep and make the magic happen?

I always hated that the ACD pump/reservoir was there... seemed like a great place to put an air filter and a catch can.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Have you seen the lightweight shockproof separate? I was cleaning it out of all of the oiling passages in my gearbox when I rebuilt it last year.

BAH. I have a few quarts of Heavyweight SP left...and the AMS oil dealer lives 2 blocks from me.

Interesting bit on the transfer case mod. So I could buy a regular (non-acd) transfer case and take my Front LSD out of my transfer case... ship them both to shep and make the magic happen?

I always hated that the ACD pump/reservoir was there... seemed like a great place to put an air filter and a catch can.
What do you mean separate on the fluid?

You should ask shep what all parts he needs. I just dropped off both transfer cases to him to be sure.

Fathouse
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The shock proof has a wax like substance in it that over time separates out from the main fluid and gets stuck in all the nooks and crannies of the part.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have some light whining as well, but I'm not all that worried. Until you can't hear your setero I wouldn't worry too much. Slight whining is normal. My whine has not been any worse in over 3000 miles of driving. I changed my fluid and has little to no gunk on my drain plug. Very little is normal. It had redline fluid in it, I put in DiaQueen.

If you do a lot of city driving, you really won't notice it. It could have been this way for awhile and you just never knew. a 600 mile drive would defiantly bring it to your attention. I first noticed mine when driving to my sisters house. Not quite 600 miles, but it was about 60 miles of constant highway. I never noticed it on short 3-5 mile highway trips because my mind is somehwere else other than weird noises. 600 miles and you'll be bored as hell, picking out every little noise the car makes. I know I would

Change the fluid in ALL of the drivetrain and look at the drain plugs, see how they look. put OEM fluids in the diffs and then whatever you'd like in the transmission. I used AMSoil in the trans. Like I said if it's a faint whine, don't get too worried yet. If it sounds like a firetruck siren under your car, then it's time to park it before it seizes and leaves you stuck somehwere. Do you have AAA?

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Dec 13, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a trailer and a truck. I've been saying I needed to go through the transfer case for at least 1 year... so it's time. I'm on the fence to upgrade a bunch of things.

FP Red -> 6262 or 3586
3.5" IC -> 4" IC
Exedy Twin -> QM
Stock TC -> Shep/TRE TC

I just don't know yet... I don't have enough funny money saved up to make all the changes I want, but I suppose I have to start some time. It started snowing today.... which means my car will be sitting inside anyway. haha