Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Tuning Options - USDM CT9As, Read!

Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I also have the er acd tune and the wier 12plate rear diff. I am installing the aem vdm for track mapping and lap analysis. I will toss in the old computer for my first session and the reflash. I have a track day scheduled for October and I might hit subifest in September. To much work right now finding it hard to get to the track.

On the street I am very happy with the flash. Freeway on ramps are much faster now . My alignment is set to understeer so this helped to give the car a more nutural feel. Next corner balance and align I will set the car up nutural and tweak bump and rebound and sway bar settings.

I am not the best road racer so I like a little understeer but I can tell it hurts my lap times.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Some CA people, are you guys going to the SCC solo on sept 24,25 @ the El Toro Airbase?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I'll take it, Tom, and have PayPal ready. I have an HPDE, some AX, and a GTA event coming up. I can also write a review.

If Kyoo, doesn't take it, that is.
kaj is a better driver than me and I'd love to hear his input on it.

I may purchase one for sure if I get my hands on a spare ACD ECU - I'm very happy with my ACD tune though, and I finally got my setup to stop oversteering like crazy, so I'm trying to leave the car alone for a while lol
Old Aug 29, 2016, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Is this something that works for X as well?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
not yet, and not without disabling AYC, as far as I've seen. Doesn't seem to be too much demand for it, since the S-AYC is already very well set up for performance driving.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Evo X remapping done in the UK: http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59870

Originally Posted by MrAWD
The following users liked this post:
MrAWD (Aug 31, 2016)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What did you end up changing?

Originally Posted by kyoo
I finally got my setup to stop oversteering like crazy
Old Aug 31, 2016, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alleggerita
kinda died off though, not sure what the status is.

Originally Posted by alleggerita
What did you end up changing?
was pretty close, just a few minor tweaks with shocks and tire pressures. I think the tires breaking in played a big role as well.

My set up is 8/10, ohlins coilovers, shocks at 5 clicks all around, tanabe FSB, WL RSB on middle for autox, soft for track, a few WL bushings, and my ACD on "Gravel" which is the middle setting between street and track on ER's "light" ACD tune (customized for my usage), and Cusco 1.5way

Car genuinely feels amazing. Car doesn't push, at least with my driving, corner entry is amazing, and the set up really accentuates the car's ability to power out of corners.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 03:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Word of caution:

If you have a brand new tcase, or rear diff, give them about 3,000-5,000 miles of break in before running them with an ACD tune (per Jon at TRE). I spent a lot of money figuring this out last year. ACD tune was wiping out new gear sets(gears that had not been broken in) in about 1,500 miles. I was broke, so I bough a used 50k mile tcase that has been going strong for 4500 miles on the ACD tune with 2 track days as well. So it only effects new gears that have not properly bedded in.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

that's interesting, first I'm hearing of this
Old Aug 31, 2016, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Word of caution:

If you have a brand new tcase, or rear diff, give them about 3,000-5,000 miles of break in before running them with an ACD tune (per Jon at TRE). I spent a lot of money figuring this out last year. ACD tune was wiping out new gear sets(gears that had not been broken in) in about 1,500 miles. I was broke, so I bough a used 50k mile tcase that has been going strong for 4500 miles on the ACD tune with 2 track days as well. So it only effects new gears that have not properly bedded in.
What ?!

Never heard this before, maybe skip the tune then if it puts excess stress on parts
Old Aug 31, 2016, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverevo05
What ?!

Never heard this before, maybe skip the tune then if it puts excess stress on parts
i've been running an ACD tune for 6 years now with no adverse effects. I'm surprised by the anecdote, but i don't think it adds any more wear than anything else. motor, drivetrain, all pushing ~50 more whp than stock. i don't see how wear could be so significant, it's using the same pump to lock and unlock, just at different rates and strengths. in general, you need to break in a drivetrain part very gently, and let it go through several heat cycles
Old Sep 1, 2016, 08:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Like I said........NEW gears. When they haven't been bedded in, they're extremely sensitive to the extra load, this is why every drivetrain shop tells you to do at least a 500 mile break in period of taking it easy. From talking to Jon at TRE, he said gears are fairly good to go at the 500ish mile mark, but the point at which you really see a well worn in machine finish wear pattern from the tooth-tooth contact is in the 3,000-5,000 mile range, and he would wait until that point to run a tuned ACD.

If you thought the ACD tune didn't load the tcase and rear diff more, idk what you're smoking. It's locking the front and rear axles together more. In my car, if I'm in track mode, the car binds up and bucks a little bit when making tight low speed turn (like in a parking lot). But like I said, since I was tired of spending money, my car has a used 75k stock tcase in it right now, which has gone 5k miles and 2 track days without issues, WITH the ACD tune.

I'm NOT telling you to no buy an ACD tune. I AM telling you that if you get a tcase or rear diff rebuild to put the ACD back to stock for a few thousand miles to let the gears break in.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Sep 1, 2016)
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Oh in that case I will get it done

I was just being a little dramatic like some on here. I've always, thought about getting this mod done through Tom @ TScomp though I know most go with ER

I especially liked the size 50 font in bold and italic. No worries though

Hey letsgetthisdone, that last comment to put the acd back to stock, couldn't you just leave it in the normal settings? I believe Tom's has the three normal settings and 3 modified ones so you could just click back to norm if you had a rebuild, I would assume.

Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2016, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

The English tune doesn't have stock settings on it anymore. But you can get a stock ACD ECU off of ebay for $40-$50...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACD Tuning Options - USDM CT9As, Read!