Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post your Synapse DV config and results

Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evodood
Here's pics of my install mrfred. As you can see it's in push but not in the "direct factory replacement" configuration. I felt the valve would have the best response in push mode if it could be as close to the UICP pressure as possible thus the no pressurized BOV hose setup.

Since I took these pics I have eliminated port A and am currently running B only. I really haven't had any flutter since in normal driving. I did try to make it happen when I switiched to B only to see if it was cured and even that was so light and inconsistant I considered the problem solved.
is this the right way to have it installed?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Here is my set-up in "pull" @ "A" port only (closest port to the adj screw)

or is this?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
"Push" and "Pull" are both acceptable orientations. They will give different results with the push configuration likely to be more sensitive to pressure build up in the UICP during throttle lift. For reference, the stock Evo 9 DV is installed in "push" orientation.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

i noticed that this valve is backwards compared to the stocker...i have it setup in the pull mode. is that the best mode for our cars or should i do it push?

and when you say push, you're talking air to open right? and pull is air to close?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
The reason for this thread is to find out what works and what doesn't. Some people are running push and others running pull. I'm happy enough with push mode on Port B, but will likely tinker to see if I can make it better.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I get that...i'm trying to figure out what direction I should point my tinkering. that's why I asked for pics because some people seem to have the push and pull configurations confused. I wanted to see exactly how people were running it. I'm going to try to run just one of the ports and see if that helps, and if not, I'll switch it around. I thought I remember reading somewhere though that push was the way to go and pull was just wrong.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
push or pull is in reference to how the surplus air is passing by the bov valve.

in push mode = the valve is being pushed to open.

in pull mode = the valve is being pulled to open.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Dec 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
push or pull is in reference to how the surplus air is passing by the bov valve.

in push mode = the valve is being pushed to open.

in pull mode = the valve is being pulled to open.
yes, I understand that. it seems that other people didn't get that, and that's why I asked for pictures lol I'm going to go and play with mine now and see what I can come up with.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my DV setup push or pull? I have an Evo X.

Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here are some pics:

v If the air coming out of your uicp see's this, your in push mode

^ If the air coming out of your uicp see's this, your in pull mode

Here is what i refer to as either A port or B port. A-port is closest to the adjusting screw. As you see, there is a slight difference.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Dec 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
I thought I remember reading somewhere though that push was the way to go and pull was just wrong.
This statement makes me think that YOU are confused. The valve works BOTH ways so there is NO "wrong".

There is only what works best for you.

AGAIN - let me reiterate there is no "wrong".

This is likely the only BOV that cannot be installed "WRONG" as it will work anyway you hook it up. The only difference in configuration is how well it works and that is up to the owner to decide.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodood
This statement makes me think that YOU are confused. The valve works BOTH ways so there is NO "wrong".

There is only what works best for you.

AGAIN - let me reiterate there is no "wrong".

This is likely the only BOV that cannot be installed "WRONG" as it will work anyway you hook it up. The only difference in configuration is how well it works and that is up to the owner to decide.
I understand that there's no wrong, and i think i just used the wrong wording. I remember reading a thread though, and for our cars the consensus of everyone in the thread was that push was the BETTER setting. didn't mean to say that pull was wrong, but not as good for this particular application.

I know the difference between push and pull. what I meant was that through reading there were guys calling the air to close "push" because the boost was pushing it closed, but then others were calling air to open "push" because the boosting was pushing it open. I just wanted pics to see who was calling what, what.

I see it as everyone in THIS thread has said it so far. Push is air to open, Pull is air to close.

Okay, just swapped mine around to PUSH mode, both A and B ports and it may have solved the part throttle lift flutter issue. valve response is a bit better as well. Thanks for all of the pictures, and discussion.

edit: spoke too soon. took a trip from baton rouge to NOLA to watch the hornets game, and I had a lot of fluttering, but not as bad. I'm going to play with the ports and see what I can come up with.

Last edited by ODUB; Dec 1, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:47 AM

Does anyone else get a tinging noise (almost like a very small vta sound) when letting off just before the vacuum goes to zero and before building boost? I have mine currently in Push mode with A and B t'ed into the IM. I'm also getting a A LOT of flutter on partial boost and sometimes in full boost.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
I understand that there's no wrong, and i think i just used the wrong wording. I remember reading a thread though, and for our cars the consensus of everyone in the thread was that push was the BETTER setting. didn't mean to say that pull was wrong, but not as good for this particular application.

I know the difference between push and pull. what I meant was that through reading there were guys calling the air to close "push" because the boost was pushing it closed, but then others were calling air to open "push" because the boosting was pushing it open. I just wanted pics to see who was calling what, what.

I see it as everyone in THIS thread has said it so far. Push is air to open, Pull is air to close.

Okay, just swapped mine around to PUSH mode, both A and B ports and it may have solved the part throttle lift flutter issue. valve response is a bit better as well. Thanks for all of the pictures, and discussion.

edit: spoke too soon. took a trip from baton rouge to NOLA to watch the hornets game, and I had a lot of fluttering, but not as bad. I'm going to play with the ports and see what I can come up with.
You're on the right track, try B port only

Originally Posted by Detailguy
Does anyone else get a tinging noise (almost like a very small vta sound) when letting off just before the vacuum goes to zero and before building boost? I have mine currently in Push mode with A and B t'ed into the IM. I'm also getting a A LOT of flutter on partial boost and sometimes in full boost.
There are already lots of suggestions in this thread and others, about what you can try to make this better.

Last edited by evodood; Dec 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 06:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 192 Likes on 115 Posts
All what I have to say is after I installed a spoolin' up COP, my fluttering in 4th/5th gear at low rpms (holding the pedal partial throttle, getting into boost) went away with my Synapse. Absolutely, completely GONE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post your Synapse DV config and results