Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 motors / strokers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckless969
If your engine dies because of sidewall wear then I would say you are doing pretty good and got the full life outta that motor.
no doubt!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i rev mine to 8100.. have a very broad powerband since my black spools like a stock 9 turbo. usually dont take it past 7500 though when im driving it hard, which is pretty much everytime it leaves the driveway
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the 2.4 but as a personal thing there are just 2 things I can't get around.

1 No oil squirters

2 I just dont like the idea of having a Galant block. Pure Evo engine for me.
Oil squirters are not necessary with a quality forged piston.

As far as keeping it "evo" that is silly. It's like a honda guy saying he won't run a b18 because he wants to keep it all d series. Or a chevy guy not wanting to run a big block because they came in trucks.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rico91stang
Oil squirters are not necessary with a quality forged piston.

As far as keeping it "evo" that is silly. It's like a honda guy saying he won't run a b18 because he wants to keep it all d series. Or a chevy guy not wanting to run a big block because they came in trucks.
I know I have read a bunch of stuff that say the squirters aren't needed but the way I see it Mitsu put um there in their performance engine for a reason and oil is kinda an important thing. And since I can run a 2.3 and still have them I prefer that.

And like I said it may be silly to you but its just a personal preferance thing for me. I just like my Evo having an Evo engine, call it OCD if you want.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:27 PM
Former Sponsor

2.4's have hg sealing issues also. they like to blow hg's way quicker then 2.3
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah like I said I get my squirters my Evo engine and I don't blow HGs and it only cost me .1 liters

I mean considering my numbers are on Davids Mustang dyno its not like I am hurting on torque.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I have read a bunch of stuff that say the squirters aren't needed but the way I see it Mitsu put um there in their performance engine for a reason and oil is kinda an important thing. And since I can run a 2.3 and still have them I prefer that.

And like I said it may be silly to you but its just a personal preferance thing for me. I just like my Evo having an Evo engine, call it OCD if you want.
Well mitsubishi didn't run a quality forged piston in the 4g63 hence their use of oils squirters most likely. They really aren't all that necessary as evidenced by the amount of sfwd cars that don't run them.

While I understand what you are saying, it does seem a little silly to keep from having the mid range power an increase in displacement gives you because you want to keep it evo. Its not like people are cross breeding k24/k20 motors in even though they are superior...hmmm why hasn't anyone tried that yet?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well mitsubishi didn't run a quality forged piston in the 4g63 hence their use of oils squirters most likely. They really aren't all that necessary as evidenced by the amount of sfwd cars that don't run them.

While I understand what you are saying, it does seem a little silly to keep from having the mid range power an increase in displacement gives you because you want to keep it evo. Its not like people are cross breeding k24/k20 motors in even though they are superior...hmmm why hasn't anyone tried that yet?
Yeah I know they may not be all that neccessary but call it added piece of mind. And like I said I know its silly but I love the 4g63 so I wanted to have that as the motor in my car.

I don't feel like my 2.3 leaves me wanting on any front. I love my motor and Buschur built it like the pro he is. The car is just retarded awesome.
The following users liked this post:
kiley_sean (Jan 27, 2022)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

i have more low/mid range then most 2.4's ive seen on fp blacks. its all about the mods you choose and the quality of the tune. a 2.3 will spool a turbo 100% identical to a 2.4 there are no gains. the only major things a 2.4 has over a 2.3 is its more balanced which in turn can rev higher safer and thats it. there are cons and they are all headgasket / waterpump related. i like all motors equal, they all have benefits over one another.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Nov 16, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

for 600-650whp you cannot beat the 2.4L IMO.. it makes more power than a 2.3 and 2.0L from my experience with it.. on an FP Black we made a clean 100WHP more than a 2.0L with a 2.4L and compression was pretty close.. 2.4L makes such EASY power and is much much less money to build than all the other combos..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tscompusa
i have more low/mid range then most 2.4's ive seen on fp blacks. its all about the mods you choose and the quality of the tune. a 2.3 will spool a turbo 100% identical to a 2.4 there are no gains. the only major things a 2.4 has over a 2.3 is its more balanced which in turn can rev higher safer and thats it. there are cons and they are all headgasket / waterpump related. i like all motors equal, they all have benefits over one another.
an 87mm Bore motor will make more power everywhere than the 2.3L and spool faster if everything else is equal.. Your 2.3L might make more than most 2.4 but if you drop a 2.4L in your car it will make more power.. send me your 2.3L graph to compare to our 2.4L..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'd be interested to see the compare against mine also Mike if you don't mind. Though I am on a red.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
an 87mm Bore motor will make more power everywhere than the 2.3L and spool faster if everything else is equal.. Your 2.3L might make more than most 2.4 but if you drop a 2.4L in your car it will make more power.. send me your 2.3L graph to compare to our 2.4L..

Mike
i dont have any high boost pulls yet on my new motor and at 29psi it made the same power as it does now at 32psi (cept for more torque) because at 29psi i wasnt using the boost controller, and as soon as i introduced the boost controller to the mix i got the typical boost spike then tapper off to nothing deal. its seeing full boost right at 3800rpm, and if you hit it in the car at 2500rpm and watch the rpm gauge the needle starts to take off at 3500rpm on the gauge, so its an extremely fast responding combo i have going.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tscompusa
i dont have any high boost pulls yet on my new motor and at 29psi it made the same power as it does now at 32psi because at 29psi i wasnt using the boost controller, and as soon as i introduced the boost controller to the mix i got the typical boost spike then tapper off to nothing deal. its seeing full boost right at 3800rpm, and if you hit it in the car at 2500rpm and watch the rpm gauge the needle starts to take off at 3500rpm on the gauge, so its an extremely fast responding combo i have going.
its ok.. I have hundreds of pulls even on a BBK at 32psi on a 2.4L.. Post up for comparison.. My BBK if i recall matched HP/TQ on EVERY pull almost..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on big power 64 blocks (800whp+) has anyone had any problems with the cylinder walls being thinner with the 87mm? what is everyone doing for for the head gasket?

Quick Reply: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 motors / strokers