Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chetrickerman
adding to what you are saying, i would much rather have a manufacturer give me the best quality product if its going to take a little bit longer, instead of them sending me out the product right away because im *****ing, only for it to break 100 miles after putting it on

now how long that takes to make sure the quality is top notch is questionable

i think what they are doing is smart. they know that in this community, if their product's quality sucks, they will have no chance of recovering. yea, the wait sucks, but they have to cover their asses so that they can make it though just the first and second batches of these turbos and make money

me too
It was only a casting issue for their hotsides and they were looking to source out a new company and just think how many businesses would fight for that account. You would think they would have set things in motion by now.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RevMoto
It was only a casting issue for their hotsides and they were looking to source out a new company and just think how many businesses would fight for that account. You would think they would have set things in motion by now.
very true, but that process probably takes some time to get set up
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

very true, but that process probably takes some time to get set up
you would think with todays technology a mold could be designed and made in a few days unless they outsourced the hotsides overseas. I was under the impression BW was a large enough company to make all of their own parts in house.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would assume they outsourced housing production because they have no direct experience (investment) casting thinwall stainless steel, all their turbine housings hitherto have been plain-jane cast iron
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting point of view...

Outsourcing nowadays entails Chinese Production 75-85% of the time.

EFR=Made in China?? lol
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by wingless
As a vetran of product design/development a soft launch with high expectations and demand is far better than flooding the market with disapointing product that doesn't meet expectations or fails.
adding to what you are saying, i would much rather have a manufacturer give me the best quality product if its going to take a little bit longer, instead of them sending me out the product right away because im *****ing, only for it to break 100 miles after putting it on
^^^ agreed. despite the long wait and headaches (my cars are sitting without turbos still also) there is no other turbocharger I want to use on my personal evo or rb26

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Isn't the whole issue with the EFR delay related to a quality problem from a couple of their suppliers? So they had a product, they were happy with the prototypes, went to put it into production and made a huge media push on it (I have an EFR SSE Evo poster in my cube looking at me) and then found the production release was hampered with massive quality problems from the suppliers. They made the choice to resource the suppliers to get a decent product out rather than push it out with the subpar components. That seems like the only sensible thing to do from their standpoint... and resourcing something like that can take many months. It sucks for the end customer who was told they could expect the turbo any day and then waits months for a product with no news, but there isn't much they can do.
pretty much spot-on - the EFR turbos are game changing turbo technology and the suppliers BW initially worked with couldnt hold up their end of the deal.. this delay in shipping turbos will soon be behind us and once these turbos make their way onto cars you will see that they are 100% real and worth the wait

Originally Posted by hydra
I would assume they outsourced housing production because they have no direct experience (investment) casting thinwall stainless steel, all their turbine housings hitherto have been plain-jane cast iron
correct - traditional BW turbine housings are D5S "hi-sil-mol" made via sand casting. Investment cast stainless steel turbine housings are another animal entirely

you would think with todays technology a mold could be designed and made in a few days unless they outsourced the hotsides overseas. I was under the impression BW was a large enough company to make all of their own parts in house.
there are no short-cuts with investment casting. If this was sand casting then yes the housings could be on the market long ago, but the decision was made to stay the course with investment cast stainless housings for the EFR turbos.

Originally Posted by houdini_678
EFR=Made in China?
NO, nothing on the EFR is from china, please stop posting mis-information even if you are joking - no one wants to read misinfo

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Aug 26, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

i'll go a step further and simply stop posting all-in-all; hardly ever do anyways.

good luck with your product; it has taught me tons!

wooO-Ttzzz...!!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Actually, very few. Put it this way, how many turbo Audi/VW 2.0ts are there? Easily hundreds of thousands. THAT's the account you want. Who wants to dick around with a few hundred turbos a year when you could be making a few hundred thousand? It takes the same amount of engineering for a project to make one turbine housing or one million. Obviously, you want the project with one million.

It's very very difficult to find suppliers that will deal with low volumes. Anything below tens of thousands, and many suppliers won't even bother looking at your request.

Last edited by spdracerut; Aug 26, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Actually, very few. Put it this way, how many turbo Audi/VW 2.0ts are there? Easily hundreds of thousands. THAT's the account you want. Who wants to dick around with a few hundred turbos a year when you could be making a few hundred thousand? It takes the same amount of engineering for a project to make one turbine housing or one million. Obviously, you want the project with one million.

It's very very difficult to find suppliers that will deal with low volumes. Anything below tens of thousands, and many suppliers won't even bother looking at your request.
Yeah but BW makes turbos for many stock vehicles and it could lead to an even greater relationship if they like their work and open them up for a larger account.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

i wanted this setup for my rsx
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:18 AM

If I'm not mistaken the EFR 6258 (or a customized variant of it) is OE fitment on the Porsche Cayenne/Panamera Turbo S. Not exactly massive volume but its an OE supply contract nonetheless... Who knows given more time we might see them trickle down to more OE applications...
Old Aug 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

any info on the porsche? I think i've actually seen one, but the markings are really weird... nothing like i expected
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah but BW makes turbos for many stock vehicles and it could lead to an even greater relationship if they like their work and open them up for a larger account.
And then you run into the situation that I think BW is in right now. Oh, let's try this new supplier! Crap, the housings the made are junk. On to the next supplier and now we're 6 months behind. Oh, let's try this supplier. Crap, they're junk too. Damnit, now we're behind another 6 months.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen an opportunity for purchase a T3 SS 8374 but decided not to because initial results have proven that the HTA3586 makes much more power at lower boost levels. There is also no proof that the power band will be better or it will last any longer.

Until the results meets the hype these things don't get much credit in my book. Results from a race car don't count. And so far we have 0 results on paper for evo's.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by project_skyline
initial results have proven that the HTA3586 makes much more power at lower boost levels. There is also no proof that the power band will be better or it will last any longer. Until the results meets the hype these things don't get much credit in my book. Results from a race car don't count. And so far we have 0 results on paper for evo's.
I can understand your viewpoint, although I dont entirely agree.. once the turbos resume shipping, you will see more results - nothing more to say than that

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread