Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

World's cheapest 2.4L Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine I picked up came from an 03 gallant, thanks for clarifying the horsepower numbers! I don't plan on revving the **** out of it by any means, all I want it to do is run and be reliable at first.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

glw the car
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocketguy
The engine I picked up came from an 03 gallant, thanks for clarifying the horsepower numbers! I don't plan on revving the **** out of it by any means, all I want it to do is run and be reliable at first.
Remember he's talking about front wheel drive vehicles. That would roughly translate to a limit of 300 awtq. I wouldn't push the stock 4G64 pistons and rods over that. Keep in mind, the original application is on a non-turbo car.

-Acree
Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Acree
Remember he's talking about front wheel drive vehicles. That would roughly translate to a limit of 300 awtq. I wouldn't push the stock 4G64 pistons and rods over that. Keep in mind, the original application is on a non-turbo car.

-Acree

I definitely don't plan on making any more power than that.. the stock setup I've got right now should be well under 300 tq to the wheels. It should still be fun, though.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

would you run 16 lbs of boost on stock gallant with out beefing it up? Head studs and gasket is a good start but i think it would be worth the exta money and down time to do it the right way.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
would you run 16 lbs of boost on stock gallant with out beefing it up? Head studs and gasket is a good start but i think it would be worth the exta money and down time to do it the right way.
I'm just going to use the head studs from my 2.0 motor.. and there really isn't anything special that needs to be done with the head gasket. Building the motor the right way is in the future so long as the rest of the car functions correctly after just making it run again. Hence the purpose of the cheapest possible motor to put in the car - A stock 2.4
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

stock 2.4 rods any good?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 01:04 PM

They are probably pretty junky.. is my guess. But the stock rods will get the car moving.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

why can't you use the evo 4g63 rods since you have them and they are stronger ?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet

I ran 22psi without any issue, its all in the tune. Tq kills motors not boost or hp
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3grst01
why can't you use the evo 4g63 rods since you have them and they are stronger ?

4g63 have 21mm pins and 4g64 have 22mm pins.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Nice, post pics once you get the project rolling!

Don't forget all the little stuff --fresh valvestem seals and maybe a valvejob to keep everything up top fresh, a set of cams and fresh valvesprings (MAP and GSC make some basic beehives that are perfect) if it's an 8, break-in fluids, fresh drivetrain fluids all around is a good idea, and since it was in a wreck, check the brakes out and at least bleed them with fresh fluid.

like the word "fresh" much?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think it would just be smarter to build the motor because you'll kick yourself in the *** later on when you decide you want more power unless you were just looking to turn this car around for profit which in the end still screws over the next person.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i was about to say with what ^^ this guy posted, almost down to the word, man i know were all about savin money where and how we can, however man, first thing i would do before u swap in that engine, is a compression test and cylinder leakdown test, especially since its came from the salvage yard, i know on my buddies dsm, he bought a couple of junkyard motors cuz the 1st gen 4g u can find cheap nowadays, and in 6 months through 3 motors, all different stuff, (coolant leak which lead to a popped headgasket, 25 psi spike which put a a piston and rod out the block, 3rd one just plain sucked) he didnt wanan listen since he had the answers my advice, before u install it do a couple tests, and pull that oil pan off and check your bearings condition), other then that good luck and hope i dont see a thread soon with damn im a$$ed out 600 becuz my engine blew....cuz an i told you so might be in your future haha jk, but good luck, should be a beast.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by dastallion951
i was about to say with what ^^ this guy posted, almost down to the word, man i know were all about savin money where and how we can, however man, first thing i would do before u swap in that engine, is a compression test and cylinder leakdown test, especially since its came from the salvage yard, i know on my buddies dsm, he bought a couple of junkyard motors cuz the 1st gen 4g u can find cheap nowadays, and in 6 months through 3 motors, all different stuff, (coolant leak which lead to a popped headgasket, 25 psi spike which put a a piston and rod out the block, 3rd one just plain sucked) he didnt wanan listen since he had the answers my advice, before u install it do a couple tests, and pull that oil pan off and check your bearings condition), other then that good luck and hope i dont see a thread soon with damn im a$$ed out 600 becuz my engine blew....cuz an i told you so might be in your future haha jk, but good luck, should be a beast.

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions! As far as re using the the rods from my 2.0: I'm no expert (just a simple mechanical engineer), but I would assume they are shorter, have different size pins, and different main journals. Otherwise yes, that would be a sweet idea!

If this motor ends up grenading before I have a chance to pull it back out and build it the right way, I will really be out only $400 bucks. It is worth the risk to make sure everything else is right on the car before I start spending real money on it. Most of the parts used in the swap will be unneffected if the engine does decide to let go.

I'm definitely not in the business of screwing anybody over, if I did end up selling the car with the 2.4 in relatively stock fashion I would make it well known and it would be strongly recommended that the motor be built.

Hopefully this turns into an example of a cheap alternative that works well in stock fashion.

Quick Reply: World's cheapest 2.4L Build