Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What turbo should I get

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im wondering if all these people saying "stock frame" this and that have ever had experience with them. first, there not mileage turbos at all and if your car is a dd AND a track car thats demanding for a turbo that was initially made for 250whp ish and is now making over double that. second, say you wanted to make your car an all out power monster, stock frame has great initial power bands but no matter what, they WILL fall off up top especially if you have a 2.0 revving past 8-9k. a 2.3 is not crazy expensive (just a 4g64 crank with special sized pistons) and on a t3 30r or 35r with a small hotside will be plenty fun, make 500 whp EASY and you have tons of room to grow. plus as far as cost goes, a stock frame turbo is not the clear cut choice, at least anymore.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Have you autocrossed before? Have you done a track event before? Leave the car pretty much alone, try some of that, and see if you still want power. Lots of power makes autocross harder (because you are going to end up in a harder class) and makes road course stuff harder (because you need to bleed off all the speed you add in the straights). The car is pretty awesome even with really mild mods...
I can somewhat agree here, my friend. People eliminate the "seat time" out of the equation and just start modding the EVO without knowing what it is able to do. By identifying strenghts and weaknesses (both of the driver and of the car in the intended environment), is the point(s) that need to be addressed. My buddy has an EVO built for autocrossing and sitting at a nice 325whp, the car screams around the track.

Originally Posted by Snake bite
im wondering if all these people saying "stock frame" this and that have ever had experience with them. first, there not mileage turbos at all and if your car is a dd AND a track car thats demanding for a turbo that was initially made for 250whp ish and is now making over double that. second, say you wanted to make your car an all out power monster, stock frame has great initial power bands but no matter what, they WILL fall off up top especially if you have a 2.0 revving past 8-9k. a 2.3 is not crazy expensive (just a 4g64 crank with special sized pistons) and on a t3 30r or 35r with a small hotside will be plenty fun, make 500 whp EASY and you have tons of room to grow. plus as far as cost goes, a stock frame turbo is not the clear cut choice, at least anymore.
Very valida points as well. I believe the OP needs to fully determine what his intended use and goals of the car are and then start from there.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:32 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For real world situations where you aren't driving like a moron (open back roads), a laggy powerband doesn't really make a difference. As far as events go, sure you have to bleed more speed at the track, but that makes it more fun, even if your times might not reflect it that much. Autocross puts me to sleep no matter what, so that is a non issue for me. I would rather drag race, road race, or hill climb any day.

Going against stock powered cars with sticky R compound rubber and modified suspension, I was about tied with them. I had more power, but 200 tread wear street tires and stock suspension, so it balanced out on the 2 mile hill climb course I ran. I believe he was a slightly better driver than I though, so if a better driver drove my car, they probably could have done a bit better as well. I had stock brakes too, so I had to bleed the extra speed, but it wasn't an issue for the short 2 mile sprint. It might become one if you are doing several laps in a row though, so brake modifications might be necessary if you are going to road race with higher horsepower.

Can't deny the fun of punching it with 500+ horsepower though and if you only track your car a handful of times a year, then lag shouldn't be a big issue. I think the key to a reliable high horsepower cars lies in the tune and how you drive it. If you redline it everywhere you go, you are probably going to blow it up no matter how well it is tuned, but if you just enjoy the occassionally pull here and there, it should hold together fine for a long time, even pushing towards 600whp as some have pointed out.

Last edited by fre; Jan 5, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
You are still away from family so it is a deployment.
Qatar isn't really a deployment....more of an extended TDY. They have more amenities than the bases here in Germany! Sure you're away from your family, but its not as bad as say being at a bare base in say, Afghan.

OP, go stock frame BB Red or Black and 2.3....you wont look back!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
Qatar isn't really a deployment....more of an extended TDY. They have more amenities than the bases here in Germany! Sure you're away from your family, but its not as bad as say being at a bare base in say, Afghan.
It is the winter time here in Afghanistan and this is my fifth deployment. Amenities or not, a deployment is a deployment.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

It is the winter time here in Afghanistan and this is my fifth deployment. Amenities or not, a deployment is a deployment.
OT: Tell that to the guys collecting haz duty and hostile fire pay while living in hotels, working 2 hours a day and drinking beer everyday while "deployed' to Pristina. A deployment isnt always a deployment.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

OT: Tell that to the guys collecting haz duty and hostile fire pay while living in hotels, working 2 hours a day and drinking beer everyday while "deployed' to Pristina. A deployment isnt always a deployment.
My friend, I am with you on this one but my comments were based on the distance aspect of a deployment. Like I said, this is my fifth deployment. I was in Iraq for the movement north during the Jessica Lynch incident. I was in Mosul for the Black September and Marez DFAC bombing incident. I was also in Najaf during the large fight with the Sons of God. I have seen more in my 34-years than you can ever realize. And I am not in Afghanistan supporting patrols in the freezing ice weather.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

My friend, I am with you on this one but my comments were based on the distance aspect of a deployment. Like I said, this is my fifth deployment. I was in Iraq for the movement north during the Jessica Lynch incident. I was in Mosul for the Black September and Marez DFAC bombing incident. I was also in Najaf during the large fight with the Sons of God. I have seen more in my 34-years than you can ever realize. And I am not in Afghanistan supporting patrols in the freezing ice weather.
Not really sure why you're arguing the point....If you've been to Qatar, then you'd know it's not a real deployment. Which in case there's any confusion, Qatar is NOT in Afghanistan. Afghan is legit... dont think anyone said anything to the contrary. As far as number of deployments go, I've got 3 in 12 years (USAF)...1 of which I spent directly supporting ground forces by creating "kill boxes" for our A10s and F16s to provide you with CAS. I can swap stories with you all day, but we are waaaaay OT!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Not really sure why you're arguing the point....If you've been to Qatar, then you'd know it's not a real deployment. Which in case there's any confusion, Qatar is NOT in Afghanistan. Afghan is legit... dont think anyone said anything to the contrary. As far as number of deployments go, I've got 3 in 12 years (USAF)...1 of which I spent directly supporting ground forces by creating "kill boxes" for our A10s and F16s to provide you with CAS. I can swap stories with you all day, but we are waaaaay OT!
Very true. Fellahs, we apologize for the threat hijack.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I work 2 hr. I work 24 every 3 days, 24, one day off, 8 hr day, 24 etc... I'm with the Army "defending the sky" and I really don't like my job lol
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:04 PM

Hta3582 would be great for what you're looking for
Old Jan 7, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a bb fp black or fp red cant go wrong. And anyone who says the fp reds dont last. Haha, mines got 35k on it, 64mm og housing non anti surge cover, runs everyday at 26ish psi, all with stock oil feed line. And sees 8k everyday. Cant go wrong with it, main issues with those turbos blowing is not necessarily the overspeeding of the turbo, but lack of care for the car, plus wrong choice of oil. Usually what blows them, but hey theres soo many good options now, from when I bought mine new. Whats your end or close to end hp goal you want? Choose from there.