Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw out bearing

Recently, I heared a noise. I started to drive, but I heard a noise and that is probably because the throw out bearing. And I am thinking buy the Exedy OEM Style throw out bearing from lancershop.com, but not sure whether this brand is good or not.
And when I stoped by the traffic light on the hill, I started to drive, I felt my left foot, which try to release the clutch, is shaking and heard some metal hit each other as well.....

I am just a beginner of the evo. Could anyone give me some suggustions on this? Thank you all so much!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

is your gears engaging smooth?hope is not a tranny problem.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by boost556
is your gears engaging smooth?hope is not a tranny problem.
When starting drive in the morning, the second gear kind of mess up. But sometimes when it is warm outside, the second gear is smooth. But when I stop by the stop sign on the hill, then I release the clutch to start drive, i can feel the clutch is shaking, coz my left foot is on it. At the same time, I heard some metal hit each other. But, when I daily drive on the street, it turns smooth. That just happened when I release the clutch and start to drive on the hill.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

your best bet is to pull down the tranny and inspect it along with the clutch and pressure plate . drained your tranny oil and look for metal particles.How long do you have the clutch in the car?Also secondly should not only shift smooth when its warm i never heard that before.If second is messed up its messed up you can just get that second gear replace by someone who rebuilds tranny.best of luck
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't know what clutch you have but the clutch installed by the maker will chatter. When that happens, anything loose under the hood might make noise. Therefore, I don't suggest pulling the tranny until your symptoms get worse than they are now.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fsc0518
When starting drive in the morning, the second gear kind of mess up. But sometimes when it is warm outside, the second gear is smooth. But when I stop by the stop sign on the hill, then I release the clutch to start drive, i can feel the clutch is shaking, coz my left foot is on it. At the same time, I heard some metal hit each other. But, when I daily drive on the street, it turns smooth. That just happened when I release the clutch and start to drive on the hill.
He said he heard metal parts hitting each other that would be some sign of concern for me, thats why i recommend draining the tranny oil and checking for stuff in there.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 08:40 PM

Thank you all for answering my question. I have made an appointment with one of the car shops. He needs to pull down the transmission and check it. He told me to do the clutch at the same time, coz the labor is the same. One of my homie, who had a evo, he told me that was the problem of the throw out bearing. I have the exedy 4 puck with a heavy duty pressure plate in my car. It has 10k miles on it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:03 AM

The feel of changing gears in different temps kind of makes sense because the viscosity of fluids change in different temps. The higher the temperature the thinner it gets. I'm having a similar problem but its a lot worse.