Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 03:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdlegend
Thanks. TRE seems to have a more thorough solution but I've heard mixed reviews w/ his service...
I wouldn't call it more thorough. Shep has a high strength gear set while TRE shotpeens and hones the stock gears to get the most out of them. I think that TRE's work is great, but he can be hard to reach.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
So i haven't updated this in awhile! I know i posted before that last year i was going to go with a TRE 6 speed trans over the winter but i decided to see when mine would break.

I also picked up a spare 6 speed, hoping it was in better condition than my current, but come to find out that the used (supposedly 55k miles, never beat on) trans has a 4th gear grind, that is pretty bad, but still goes into gear. And after all the work of installing it, i left it in.

Now for the first 10k miles with this newer/used trans, i ran AMSOIL mtg 75w90, and it ran just like the old trans, plus a 4th gear grind. Now as of last month, i changed all my fluids but decided to run Motul 300 75w90 (not to be confused with "Motul 300LS"), and WOW what a difference. I still had the 4th grind here and there but not nearly as bad as it was with AMSOIL. and the more i drive it, the better it seems to get.

Just to refresh everyone on my build, I'm making 470whp and over 400wtq with an FP Red, built motor revving to 8.5k, and an Exedy twin disk to hold it all. A few days after the fluid change i went to the drag strip and ran 3 passes. My best of 12.08 at 115, (i know i can't drive lol) but i still beat this trans pretty hard, my best 60' was 1.7.

I will try and continue to update with my findings with this trans as much as possible! but for daily driver and a few launches, i doubt a Trans cooler is required, i don't think you need one for drag racing either. But i HIGHLY recommend "Motul 300 75w90" fluid for the 6 speed MR trans. I plan on running this trans into the ground. Between trying for low 11 second passes at the strip to 200 miles a week daily driving. We'll see where it goes!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIX89
. I plan on running this trans into the ground. Between trying for low 11 second passes at the strip to 200 miles a week daily driving. We'll see where it goes!
Hell yah. Same here. but i'll continue to use OEM fluid only.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 11, 2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So i haven't updated this in awhile! I know i posted before that last year i was going to go with a TRE 6 speed trans over the winter but i decided to see when mine would break.

I also picked up a spare 6 speed, hoping it was in better condition than my current, but come to find out that the used (supposedly 55k miles, never beat on) trans has a 4th gear grind, that is pretty bad, but still goes into gear. And after all the work of installing it, i left it in.

Now for the first 10k miles with this newer/used trans, i ran AMSOIL mtg 75w90, and it ran just like the old trans, plus a 4th gear grind. Now as of last month, i changed all my fluids but decided to run Motul 300 75w90 (not to be confused with "Motul 300LS"), and WOW what a difference. I still had the 4th grind here and there but not nearly as bad as it was with AMSOIL. and the more i drive it, the better it seems to get.

Just to refresh everyone on my build, I'm making 470whp and over 400wtq with an FP Red, built motor revving to 8.5k, and an Exedy twin disk to hold it all. A few days after the fluid change i went to the drag strip and ran 3 passes. My best of 12.08 at 115, (i know i can't drive lol) but i still beat this trans pretty hard, my best 60' was 1.7.

I will try and continue to update with my findings with this trans as much as possible! but for daily driver and a few launches, i doubt a Trans cooler is required, i don't think you need one for drag racing either. But i HIGHLY recommend "Motul 300 75w90" fluid for the 6 speed MR trans. I plan on running this trans into the ground. Between trying for low 11 second passes at the strip to 200 miles a week daily driving. We'll see where it goes!
I'm curious how it holds up with the motul. I know various shops including JACKS and TRE have said the 6spd doesn't like anything but diaqueen inside so I'm really curious to see how you make out with the Motul 300 oil. Would be nice to have other options
Old Aug 11, 2015, 04:49 AM
EvoM Guru

I'd be a bit cautious of improved shifting. To me that suggests less lubricity. Suggest you try to find out what modifiers are in the oil to prevent metal-to-metal contact under high load.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've read somewhere on TRE's site that he likes the Motul 300, but not sure which Trans he was talking about. Same with the Amsoil. It is a little concerning about the the better shifting and possibly being bad for the trans but, I launched it last night with no issues, spun all 4 tires through first gear. And even today it feels as though it drives better.
Actually, 4th gear didn't grind once on my way to work today (25 miles one way) even when I was really slamming gears. Also when shifting slow, I didn't have to baby it into 4th. It just doesn't grind now. So weird.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

But we'll see how long it goes. I won't be in town from next Monday until Labor Day, and I can't make it to Import Face off in Pittsburgh this weekend, so it'll sit. I'm hoping to really push it hard at the strip before the season is over.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 07:13 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
most shops i've seen recommend only OEM fluids in the 6spd, the 5spd can use other stuff, from the looks of it.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Been over 400whp on stock 6 speed with oem fluids for over 40k miles. No issues at all. Currently at 500/390.

Beat on it daily, but don't abuse it if that makes sense.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj
That's what they say yeh, but what happens? Lock out of gears? Gears break?
Thought I heard the 5speed have thicker gears, and if u mis-shift on a 6sp it tends to destroy the tranny and the bushings so it will slip.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Correct. 3rd and 4th gears were "thinned" to make room for 6th gear since the 5spd and 6spd transmissions use the same housing. That means the 6spd has weaker gears and the oil capacity is smaller meaning the heat is not properly addressed and these puppies will grenade because of it.

It's all 100% on how you drive it. If you like to dump the clutch and slam gears, well guess what, she's not gonna last. If you respect the tranny and do regular fluid changes, it will last a long time.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by soderdna
... since the 5spd and 6spd transmissions use the same housing. ...
Aren't there some key differences between the cases such as shaft spacing?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by soderdna
Correct. 3rd and 4th gears were "thinned" to make room for 6th gear since the 5spd and 6spd transmissions use the same housing. That means the 6spd has weaker gears and the oil capacity is smaller meaning the heat is not properly addressed and these puppies will grenade because of it.

It's all 100% on how you drive it. If you like to dump the clutch and slam gears, well guess what, she's not gonna last. If you respect the tranny and do regular fluid changes, it will last a long time.
1st + 2nd are actually wider on the 6 speed than the 5 speed.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post3437271
Originally Posted by Maximum Boost
Here are the gear width measurements for the 5 speed.

1st = 14mm
2nd = 17mm
3rd = 19mm
4th = 18mm
5th = 18mm

Now here are the gear width measurements from the 6 speed.

1st = 19mm
2nd = 19mm
3rd = 16mm
4th = 14mm
5th = 14mm
6th = 14mm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Aren't there some key differences between the cases such as shaft spacing?
I'm sure the similarities end at the external housing and even then there are slight differences. The internals must be very different.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
1st + 2nd are actually wider on the 6 speed than the 5 speed.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post3437271
Wow it's worse than I thought. 3rd and onward were made smaller

Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.