Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Old Oct 23, 2015, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Is it just me or is most of this hearsay about the torque? I have never read about a 6 speed breaking from torque. With as many 9 MRs that were produced, the failure rate seems to be much lower than everyone is suggesting.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Liked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426 View Post
Is it just me or is most of this hearsay about the torque? I have never read about a 6 speed breaking from torque. With as many 9 MRs that were produced, the failure rate seems to be much lower than everyone is suggesting.
It seems to be a combination of heat and torque. Even near-stock power levels will kill it if its tracked regularly without any additional trans cooling. However, there seem to be a number of people who have kept the trans together at 500+ whp/400+ ft-lbs when street driven.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 09:01 AM
EvoM Moderator

Liked 75 Times in 75 Posts
what fluids are you guys running? recently switched from amsoil mt90 to redline mt85 - shifts better, but I'm only running 300whp, and only autox so I don't really have any concerns about breaking anything...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred View Post
It seems to be a combination of heat and torque. Even near-stock power levels will kill it if its tracked regularly without any additional trans cooling. However, there seem to be a number of people who have kept the trans together at 500+ whp/400+ ft-lbs when street driven.
I was only speaking for the street driven/non-track cars, sorry, should have been more clear.

OEM fluid for myself and all the other 6 speeds I've pushed into the 500/400 range in the past. I however have not autox since switching off stock turbo e85.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 09:47 AM
EvoM Moderator

Liked 75 Times in 75 Posts
gotcha.. I heard oe is pretty good but I just can't bring myself to use oe in it.. t-case and rear diff I use the oe gear oil, but the trans not really...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIX89 View Post
So i haven't updated this in awhile! I know i posted before that last year i was going to go with a TRE 6 speed trans over the winter but i decided to see when mine would break.

I also picked up a spare 6 speed, hoping it was in better condition than my current, but come to find out that the used (supposedly 55k miles, never beat on) trans has a 4th gear grind, that is pretty bad, but still goes into gear. And after all the work of installing it, i left it in.

Now for the first 10k miles with this newer/used trans, i ran AMSOIL mtg 75w90, and it ran just like the old trans, plus a 4th gear grind. Now as of last month, i changed all my fluids but decided to run Motul 300 75w90 (not to be confused with "Motul 300LS"), and WOW what a difference. I still had the 4th grind here and there but not nearly as bad as it was with AMSOIL. and the more i drive it, the better it seems to get.

Just to refresh everyone on my build, I'm making 470whp and over 400wtq with an FP Red, built motor revving to 8.5k, and an Exedy twin disk to hold it all. A few days after the fluid change i went to the drag strip and ran 3 passes. My best of 12.08 at 115, (i know i can't drive lol) but i still beat this trans pretty hard, my best 60' was 1.7.

I will try and continue to update with my findings with this trans as much as possible! but for daily driver and a few launches, i doubt a Trans cooler is required, i don't think you need one for drag racing either. But i HIGHLY recommend "Motul 300 75w90" fluid for the 6 speed MR trans. I plan on running this trans into the ground. Between trying for low 11 second passes at the strip to 200 miles a week daily driving. We'll see where it goes!
if you read a few pages earlier, i have a log of my whole 6 speed experience. but i have a few thousand miles on the used 6 speed i bought as a spare now. It had a 4th gear grind with the AMSoil and OEM fluid. Once i change to Motul 300. it was night and day. best fluid over ran thus far. (and don't ever use pennzoil synchromesh.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Also, i sold my FP red setup, to go forward facing with a xona rotor 7164. I plan on making 650-700 dynojet hp, and id like to run a 10 with the spare stock 6 speed that is in my car and With the Motul 300 fluid in it. Im thinking i can ride out 4th long enough past redline so i don't have shift 5th and lose time. so 10's or bust for this season! (bust my transmission that is)
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Liked 86 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIX89 View Post
if you read a few pages earlier, i have a log of my whole 6 speed experience. but i have a few thousand miles on the used 6 speed i bought as a spare now. It had a 4th gear grind with the AMSoil and OEM fluid. Once i change to Motul 300. it was night and day. best fluid over ran thus far. (and don't ever use pennzoil synchromesh.
I just want to comment that good synchro performance doesn't necessarily correlate with good lubricity because synchros need some friction to work properly while the gear teeth need a good film strength. However, a consistent grind will only get worse, so good that you got rid of it.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 01:27 PM
kaj
Evolved Member

Liked 277 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426 View Post
Depends on who you ask. I have 127k miles on mine. Previous owner never raced it, but did neglect the car for 115k miles. I've done numerous autox, one GTA, one HPDE, and a ton of tuning runs. I averaged about 350whp for most (can't remember torque, sorry). The GTA event was at about 430whp ???wtq.
No issues so far. I don't daily the car, so I'm not bearing on it 24/7. Even if I do drive it around town, I don't drive it Ricky Racer style.
So maybe I'm not as hard on mine as other people?
When it breaks, I'll rebuild or replace. I'm spoiled and don't want the 5spd. LOL
Old Oct 23, 2015, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred View Post
I just want to comment that good synchro performance doesn't necessarily correlate with good lubricity because synchros need some friction to work properly while the gear teeth need a good film strength. However, a consistent grind will only get worse, so good that you got rid of it.
Good point! That's why I aim to really put it to the test. And possibly install a Trans temp gauge, and monitor under different driving conditions. And when it breaks, check the temp, and take it apart to see what failed and why. I really like my 6 speed, and I don't plan on ever going to the 5.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 04:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exhaust intake 132k 6 speed still holding strong. Knock on wood
Old Oct 25, 2015, 04:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running 265 hp and broke fork on the bell housing on my evo 8 6spd.
Since then installed another used 6spd and now running 305 hp and so far so good.
Install new excedy sports organic and using Castrol vmx oil
Old Oct 27, 2015, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, but it's really just 4th gear that is weak in the 6 speed simply due to it's smaller size to fit in the same packaging.

Also, what I'm not so sure if it's been mentioned, you are more likely to break it by being lazy and accelerating in 4th. You should always change down. Acceleration in 4th from low rpm is loading up that gear the most.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Has anyone actually seen the 4th gear from a 6 speed and a 5 speed side by side? I'm interested to see the difference in size
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I remember reading somewhere, with pictures of both gears and I don't think they were actually different in width or atleast very little difference, as a millimeter or 2. I always believed that the 6's just don't like heat or abuse for long periods of time at circuit tracks. Mine has always done well with frequent fluid changes. And that is with 2 different trans. And the second having a grind in 4th. (

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for all EVO 8, 9 people with 6 speed still.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.