Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Burning clutch smell and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Burning clutch smell and oil leak

Hello,

I attended an auto-x yesterday after putting approximately 2000 miles on my new Competition Clutch (stage 2) and after each run my clutch was burning really bad ( the smell was very strong). This also happened a few days before the event but it happened when I was trying to put my car up on ramps and I figured I had just slipped the clutch too much when pulling up on the ramps. However, after the auto-x I figured I had better figure out what's going on before my new clutch is worthless (if it's not already, that is). I do want to point out that it is not slipping at all at this time and I did several highway pulls at full throttle in 4th, and even in 5th, to just to make sure and it did not slip.

So fast forward to today, I jacked up the car and found a decent amount of oil, I think, coming from between the block and the transmission / bellhousing. When I replaced the clutch, I also had the flywheel resurfaced, and I inspected the rear main seal and it did not appear to be leaking. So I didn't replace it. That now appears to be a mistake. Please see the pictures below and let me know if you think I need to remove the transmission and inspect / replace the rear main seal.

Also, just as an aside, I have bled the slave cylinder and made sure all the transmission to engine bolts were tight. There were no issues with either the bolts (no missing bolts and both dowel pins were present when installing the transmission as well) or air in the hydraulic clutch system.

Again, if anyone has experienced very strong smell (and some smoke) coming from the clutch, but no slippage, with a low mile clutch and has any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Pics:

Name:  20160919_131548_zpsgmcghlnl.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  214.3 KB

Name:  20160919_131612_zpsommyseep.jpg
Size:  227.5 KB

Name:  20160919_131620_zpszblon8jt.jpg
Size:  205.9 KB

Name:  20160919_131825_zpsxhbq6wdk.jpg
Size:  159.1 KB

Name:  20160919_131938_zpscryda2jz.jpg
Size:  293.4 KB

Name:  20160919_131945_zpsfnhvvddl.jpg
Size:  251.2 KB

And here is a picture of a different part of the oil pan, the rest of the undercarriage is this dry:

Name:  20160919_132006_zps3lp8qn9a.jpg
Size:  254.3 KB

Thanks again!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Either a rear main, or the trans input shaft seal. More likely is the rear main.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Well, interestingly enough, I did attempt to replace the trans input shaft seal, and it was very difficult to get it to seat. I did the best I could, but it is very possible that it's not seated in all the way / correctly. That's the round, thick, seal that goes around the input shaft from the transmission into the clutch assembly, yes?

Oh, an thank you for your reply.

EDIT: I was actually thinking of the seal on the shaft from the transfer case to the transmission.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I suck with oil leaks but have you confirmed its engine oil not gear oil? If oil was getting on your clutch disc the clutch would slip in high load situations like WOT 3rd gear for example. The two might be mutually exclusive.

As far as the clutch smell is concerned, I hate to say it but you might wanna work on your technique at the starts. If you slip it too much its going to stink.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 03:05 PM
EvoM Guru

That seal on the case is no joke to replace. However, you would be leaking tcase fluid into the trans if that were leaking, you would not be getting fluid leaks externally. Did you make sure both orings were installed on the tcase prior to installing it on the trans? There is the big one that goes around where that seal is, and then there is a little tiny one that seals an oil galley.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That seal on the case is no joke to replace. However, you would be leaking tcase fluid into the trans if that were leaking, you would not be getting fluid leaks externally. Did you make sure both orings were installed on the tcase prior to installing it on the trans? There is the big one that goes around where that seal is, and then there is a little tiny one that seals an oil galley.
Hey, thank you for your response. It really is a pain in the *** to do right. Hence, why I think I might not have done it correctly. I bought both o-rings / seals from Mitsubishi and installed both and I tried very hard to make sure the tiny one stayed in position but again, I may not have succeeded and it may be causing gear oil to leak. I assume the only way to confirm that seal is leaking is to remove the xfer case from the tranny and take a look?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I suck with oil leaks but have you confirmed its engine oil not gear oil? If oil was getting on your clutch disc the clutch would slip in high load situations like WOT 3rd gear for example. The two might be mutually exclusive.

As far as the clutch smell is concerned, I hate to say it but you might wanna work on your technique at the starts. If you slip it too much its going to stink.
That is a very good point. If oil is getting on the clutch / flywheel, would it definitely slip? Again, I did several 4th and 5th gear pulls and it never slipped at all and it has never slipped before either.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've contacted a few local shops and am getting quotes on removing the transmission to determine where the leaks are coming from. Does that sound like right thing to do at this point?

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2016, 08:14 PM
EvoM Guru

If you did yourself before, do it your self again. But yes, you need to determine the oil leak, it's causing the clutch to slip. At this point you should probably throw a new clutch disk in, it is likely soaked with oil and ruined.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm no car genius but if I see a puddle under a car I can dip my finger and bringing the odor to my nose, tell if it is engine oil, transmission oil, antifreeze, hydraulic fluid, A/C water, brake fluid or if a dog has peed on the car. Knowing what fluid is the first step in tracking down the source. Bad doggie.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you did yourself before, do it your self again. But yes, you need to determine the oil leak, it's causing the clutch to slip. At this point you should probably throw a new clutch disk in, it is likely soaked with oil and ruined.
Agreed you need to figure out where the oil is coming from which can be very difficult. But Im not convinced its actually gear oil nor is it getting on his clutch disk. I think the burning of the clutch is just lack or proper technique getting off the line. Like I said prior if oil was on the disk it would be slipping. The clutch isnt slipping.

Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm no car genius but if I see a puddle under a car I can dip my finger and bringing the odor to my nose, tell if it is engine oil, transmission oil, antifreeze, hydraulic fluid, A/C water, brake fluid or if a dog has peed on the car. Knowing what fluid is the first step in tracking down the source. Bad doggie.
Lol yes completely agree. Im not so convinced that's gear oil but it should be pretty obvious given the odor. Doesn't look to be dog **** however