Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

950whp+ Turbo Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakota Evo
Is this Extremetuners? btw BW EFR series but wont make as much power as PTEs or FP with similiar size wheels.

What do you mean by high reading dynojets they are pretty much the standard. Mustang Dyno can be manipulated like virtual dynos. Guys like Buschur, TPG, CBRD and ect are honest and will give you lower reading results. On a MD Dyno if you want to manipulate it you can however.

On Dynojets its either uncorrected or corrected with soothing factor.

No this is not Extreme Tuners. Any dynometer type and brand can be manipulated through its software and hardware to "read" higher or lower, so do dynojets. Theres is no such thing as "standard". Even with in dynojets, there those dynos that "read" even higher than others.

I am aware of the difference between pte and bw, I also know what/how/why they differ.

I could get into this but this is not a discussion/thread on dynometers, if you wish to learn more there is plenty of knowledge and info around on the matter.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jan 7, 2018 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added comment
The following users liked this post:
Dakota Evo (Jan 7, 2018)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8cy
No this is not Extreme Tuners. Any dynometer type and brand can be manipulated through its software and hardware to "read" higher or lower, so do dynojets. Theres is no such thing as "standard". Even with in dynojets, there those dynos that "read" even higher than others.

I am aware of the difference between pte and bw, I also know what/how/why they differ.

I could get into this but this is not a discussion/thread on dynometers, if you wish to learn more there is plenty of knowledge and info around on the matter.

Marios
Old Jan 7, 2018, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

For anyone who is interested on the matter read up instead :

Basic stuff : https://www.dynomitedynamometer.com/...horsepower.htm

By merely change parameters such as weather station, correction factor, smoothing factor software formulas you can have different results.

On hardware:

For example on a torque loading dyno, brake dyno, such as a dynapack you can modify the hydraulics on it.

On an inertia dyno modification of the gears or of the drums or both.

In calibration mode/procedure purposely inflated correction figures input.

Other "tricks" such tyre pressure, use of the handbrake.

Use/mix of e85 plus race gas but stated results only on e85, etc.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Jan 7, 2018 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Is this Extremetuners? btw BW EFR series but wont make as much power as PTEs or FP with similiar size wheels.

What do you mean by high reading dynojets they are pretty much the standard. Mustang Dyno can be manipulated like virtual dynos. Guys like Buschur, TPG, CBRD and ect are honest and will give you lower reading results. On a MD Dyno if you want to manipulate it you can however.

On Dynojets its either uncorrected or corrected with soothing factor.
Uhh mustang dynos read uncorrected or corrected with smoothing as well, and you have it backwards. Mustangs have been the standard for years. And all dynos can be manipulated by ramp rate.

Bw turbos will make just as much power as any pte turbo will btw. The efr series is the new technology but I personally do not think it is as good as the s series being it has that gay *** bov or diverter in it which is restriction.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Uhh mustang dynos read uncorrected or corrected with smoothing as well, and you have it backwards. Mustangs have been the standard for years. And all dynos can be manipulated by ramp rate.

Bw turbos will make just as much power as any pte turbo will btw. The efr series is the new technology but I personally do not think it is as good as the s series being it has that gay *** bov or diverter in it which is restriction.

Md can be manipulated more than dynojets

But we all know this id the operator is honest will read lower...some shops make their md dyno read like dynojets to keep egos haphappy

Agree with you on the bw turbo....efr i would only run on road race application or autox.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 08:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a Super 99 would make that power on your set-up and e85, and you also get the awesome customer service from FP.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 01:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by OHM_Racer
a Super 99 would make that power on your set-up and e85, and you also get the awesome customer service from FP.
$850<$1900 is no brainer in my mind for turbos.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cursedsm
$850<$1900 is no brainer in my mind for turbos.
That makes a lot of sense when you look it at it that way.
However i only recommend what we've used before, i have no personal experience with Borg Warner turbos and their spooling characteristics.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 02:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Mustang dyno's are easily manipulated, AMS did a video of it. Dynojets are not.

OP, a Precision 6870 or Gen 2 7275 will be your best options with best spool up. The Super99 isn't even available in T4 twin scroll.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
Dakota Evo (Jan 8, 2018), LimitlessEvo7 (Jan 8, 2018)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 02:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by OHM_Racer
That makes a lot of sense when you look it at it that way.
However i only recommend what we've used before, i have no personal experience with Borg Warner turbos and their spooling characteristics.

Please don't think that was a jab or anything but the actually perform spool wise faster. There is a reason they are some of the baddest *** turbos on the planet. The link I posted has a few couple dyno runs from an 8 or 9 and a x there pretty nasty.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by LimitlessEvo7
I'm just trying to decide on which turbo to get to achieve my goal of 950+whp. I've got my eyes on the Precision 6870 but my tuner says it won't reach my goal hp. He's suggesting the Garrett GTX4202R but I'm concerned about the spool etc. Any advice on which turbo would suit my needs?
Hello fellow kiwi

A few questions to help narrow in on what will work for you etc.

1) What fuel will you be running on? I'm guessing with that target AT LEAST E85, if not E98/meth/some kind of hearty octane blend?

2) Who is the tuner? We have huge discrepancies in how dynos read with different tuners here - 950+whp on one dyno here is NOT the same as 950+ on others. We have some guys here running very generous setups, and others are legit heart breakers.

3) How much does spool or budget matter to you? 950+ makes it seem like 950whp is the bare minimum? If that's the case, you shouldn't be quite so concerned about spool - once you are looking at a legit ~1000whp (ie, >100lb/min flow) capable turbo then your spool is going to be rubbish on a 2.2 litre, the spool comparison is going to be academic between some of the top turbos compared to doing stuff like comparing a GT30 vs GT35 on a 2.2. The 7285 is proven on 4cylinders going very fast, so you know they are workable on a drag car. If you want something vaguely streetable then lower your power targets, imho

In regards to some of the other comments or suggestions in here, so far people I know of who have run the S369 turbos seem to have run into hot-side limitations - so a compressor upgrade on one of those would not cut the mustard.

The Precision 6870s seem best suited to bigger motors so far, that may not be fair BUT so far the only cars I've seen repeatedly hit/exceed the power level you are after have been Supras etc. Things which can do it at lower boost levels.

No matter what you are looking at a drag-type turbo, I suspect a Precision PT7285 Gen2 would be the winner - they make insane power and come with the T4 divided housing. Ironically, Limitless Motorsport are the Zealand dealers for Precision so you should be able to talk to them about getting one.

Here is the turbo I am talking about: https://www.precisionturbo.net/turbo...D-for-SFWD/583
Old Jan 12, 2018, 01:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrLith
Hello fellow kiwi

A few questions to help narrow in on what will work for you etc.

1) What fuel will you be running on? I'm guessing with that target AT LEAST E85, if not E98/meth/some kind of hearty octane blend?

2) Who is the tuner? We have huge discrepancies in how dynos read with different tuners here - 950+whp on one dyno here is NOT the same as 950+ on others. We have some guys here running very generous setups, and others are legit heart breakers.

3) How much does spool or budget matter to you? 950+ makes it seem like 950whp is the bare minimum? If that's the case, you shouldn't be quite so concerned about spool - once you are looking at a legit ~1000whp (ie, >100lb/min flow) capable turbo then your spool is going to be rubbish on a 2.2 litre, the spool comparison is going to be academic between some of the top turbos compared to doing stuff like comparing a GT30 vs GT35 on a 2.2. The 7285 is proven on 4cylinders going very fast, so you know they are workable on a drag car. If you want something vaguely streetable then lower your power targets, imho
I agree with what your saying here completely.

Originally Posted by MrLith
In regards to some of the other comments or suggestions in here, so far people I know of who have run the S369 turbos seem to have run into hot-side limitations - so a compressor upgrade on one of those would not cut the mustard.
That is I why I opted for the 71 upgrade. That turbo I linked isn't a s369 its technically a s371 and like I said I've seen with my own eyes this turbo make 900+ on a mustang dyno. As you stated above I plan on running a 1.25 a/r hotside with my 2.4 thats high compression.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
GTX4202 is too big. It's also a really bad mismatch of compressor wheel to turbine wheel sizes. A GTX4294 would be close, but even that turbine wheel is not ideal. A GTX4594R would be the best bet and have the best turbine efficiency, i.e. it would spool close to GTX4294 but make ~75whp more by freeing up the back end/reducing exhaust back pressure.