Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo rattle

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2003, 04:09 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo rattle

Anyone else have an annoying rattle from the passenger side dash area? If so, does anyone have the fix? It's not loud but it is persistent.
Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2003, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it, but no fix
Old Mar 22, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of members here are having "rattles" inside their Evo. But they couldn't come up with a solution. They just ignored it. I don't really think it's harmful toward your vehicle.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

i heard a rattle form passenger side, it turned out to be the passenger seatbelt buckle bouncing agaisnt the b-pillar
Old Mar 22, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rattle was from the seatbelt banging against the b-pillar also A simple twist and it was all gone
Old Mar 22, 2003, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same rattle, but in my Lancer OZ. I fixed it by cutting a piece of foam rubber, and inserting it under the panel through the trunk. Haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

I also have the rattle coming from the passenger dash...
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Try the foam rubber trick. I had a rattle from the passenger dash, and its gone now.

Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

I posted this question in the "regular" Lancer section and got no real awnsers.

This was also covered in another post here in the Evo section with no answers.

For those of you saying "forget it - its a stiff car" you need to know that the noise I have (and I suspect many others who have posted) is more than what you are thinking.

The thing is, these are such tight solid vehicles that an annoying rattle such as we have is not acceptable.

Seems to me like it is coming from just around the passenger air bag but its hard to tell for sure. Mine actually comes and goes; at times I have no rattle at all.

Please someone when you get the dealer to fix this let us know what it is. I'd take mine in but just have no time for it right now. I'm sure the dealer will be happy to fix it.

Regardless of the rattle, I sure enjoy the car!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry I never came across your thread in the regular Lancer forums. Every car, even when brand new, will have a couple rattles or squeaks. Foam rubber, Dynamat and similar products can go a long way in making your ride as quiet as possible.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check inside your glove box.. I had a rattle that I noticed this morning.. The plastic 'stopper' that is on the left side of the box was loose, and making a rattling sound, when I took it off and put it back on, it clicked into place and the rattle went away.. I do hear a weird buzzing sound, discovered it was the fan when it was set to 1.. When I turned it off, or made it faster, it went away.. I ran it on high for a little while, and then put it back.. the noise went away.. must be a close tolerance or something..
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:14 AM

Yeh, I got that same problem with my 02 oz. I whent to the dealer and the guy tried to tell me that he didn't hear anything, which could have been possible because like you said it seems to happen some times and other times it is fine. Any way I told the guy to let me drive and sure enough around 4-5 rpm it made a faint rattling noise. Not as loud as usuall but the guy said he heard it. They pulled apart the dash and said they couldn't find ****, so they just put a piece of felt inbetween the airconditioning vent and some other peice. It seemed to fix it for the most part, It definitely isn't as loud as it use to be. Just recently I noticed another noise on the drivers side this time. I just said *** it and turned the music up.

Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I just remembered, when I first got my OZ there was a rattle on the front passenger side as well. After looking around the glove box, I found that just beneath it, a fastening plug holding the foot air vent had popped out. I just put it back in, and haven't had a rattle since.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Nope no rattles at all.. 1400miles..

hope it stays that way. i am sure once i start racing it, it will get a few though..
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:45 AM
DJJ

Get used to it my friends its a mitsu. Don't get me wrong I love my eclipse but it has alot of rattles, squeeks ect. ect. and its only 2 years old.

I sat in the evo at a dealer and noticed the dash material seemed cheap, so I wouldn't be suprised if it rattles or makes noises. You get used to them.

Quick Reply: Evo rattle