Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Good source for Evolution VIII timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good source for Evolution VIII timing belt?

I just hit 60k and I think it is a good idea to go ahead and change the timing belt. I can go with either the OEM belt, but I did find the Greddy one here:

http://www.nextag.com/GReddy-Mitsubi...974989D00DB09F

for only $42 plus S/H. They have 3/5 stars but has anyone here ever dealt personally with any of these? I figure I can order and get it done over the weekend. I have laid off driving the car as a just in case.

Eva01
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no way anyone is selling a greddy timing belt for 42.00
most likely thats just the balance belt
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

I think ttp has a good one....blue color
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

The OEM timing belt is good for 100k miles. You are wasting your time and money.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well the manual recommends a change at 60k. The TTP one is way too expensive considerding I can get the OEM one from the dealer for $36.

I got a call into the seller to find out exactly which belt it is.

Eva01
Old Jan 30, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I have gates timing belt and balance shaft belts from TTP on my car. The price is for both belts. Dont forget to change the tensioners too. I did the water pump as well. Cheap insurance. Plus your in there. Ive always changed water pumps and timing belts at the same time
Old Jan 30, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
The OEM timing belt is good for 100k miles. You are wasting your time and money.
Untill that ***** snaps then you time and money are really going to suffer. 60k on cars now a days man.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Untill that ***** snaps then you time and money are really going to suffer. 60k on cars now a days man.
I'm pretty sure that Evo owners need to get it done no later than 90,000 miles (according to the owner's manual), even though 60,000 miles is recommended. So if it broke before 90,000 miles, wouldn't the warranty technically cover any subsequent damage?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mathgeek
I'm pretty sure that Evo owners need to get it done no later than 90,000 miles (according to the owner's manual), even though 60,000 miles is recommended. So if it broke before 90,000 miles, wouldn't the warranty technically cover any subsequent damage?
Not if your warranty is voided by that aftermarket headunit.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
Well the warranty only stays valid if the car is properly maintained. For example, If i dont ever change my oil and i have huge problems at 90k miles the warranty wont cover it because i didn't do the proper maintainence.

However with timing belts it's a bit tricky, last time i remember california had a state law in which cars sold in that state has to have the timing belt last up to 100k miles, however in the manual it states to change it at 60k miles. who knows.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

I though Mitsu says 60k. eaither way I bet the way mitsu is if your over 60k and it snaps your not getting it covered. Wait does mitsu even warranty EVO's
Old Jan 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DanJ
Well the warranty only stays valid if the car is properly maintained. For example, If i dont ever change my oil and i have huge problems at 90k miles the warranty wont cover it because i didn't do the proper maintainence.

However with timing belts it's a bit tricky, last time i remember california had a state law in which cars sold in that state has to have the timing belt last up to 100k miles, however in the manual it states to change it at 60k miles. who knows.
I think in cali those rules may apply. I do know that state law requires some longer warranty stuff out there. I dont want to risk it eaither way. We have high performance cars making huge power. Like I said to me its cheap insurance. Plus a good time to do all the other crap I did. Cams, Springs and Retainers, Headstuds
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

I have gates timing belt and balance shaft belts from TTP on my car. The price is for both belts. Dont forget to change the tensioners too. I did the water pump as well. Cheap insurance. Plus your in there. Ive always changed water pumps and timing belts at the same time
Just FYI,... I just had mine done at dealer (not that mechanically inclined to tackle this one) and the Evo mechanic said it is standard procecdure NOT to replace belt tensioner, the balencer belt or the water pump at the 60k interval.
In fact they had to order it if I wanted it. I "know" the mechanic as he has worked on my car since I've owned it (2003) and he said that they replace both the tensioner and the water pump at the second replacement interval (120,000 miles).
But he said he always replaces the balencer belt (even though I requested it) on every timing belt change although he is not required by Mitsubishi procedures.

Also I told him I was going to buy one of those kevlar "super strong" belts, and he said he had installed two of them on seperate customers Evo's and one had to be put back to stock because it was getting chewed up by the cam gears because they are so tight and have so much rigidity and not enough flex. In fact he had the belt on his work area and showed me first hand and pretty much sold me on the stock belt, and that he has never seen a stock belt fail (under normal conditions and mileage). I only say this because I brought these questions up to him. Just FYI. I obviously dont know your situation or installation plans.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said cheap insurance at 120 i'll do them agian. Balance belt fails your F)&ked, water pump fails you better hope it doesnt lock up the sprocket and shread the timing belt or your fu(&ed, hydrolic tensioner fails you Fuc)(d oh and it does happen trust me Ive seen it on a friends integra and on an 00 Eclipse GT both time no more motor. Since your in there change it.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what tensioners did you change? have part numbers?

Quick Reply: Good source for Evolution VIII timing belt?