Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2006 Evo starting problem--my rant

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2006 Evo starting problem--my rant

I did do a search for a similar issue and was unsuccessful. So, here goes:

Monday afternoon after work I get in my 2006 Evo (with 650 miles on the odo), insert key, turn . . . engine catches, dies. Crank, engine catches, dies. Third time, crank, crank, crank . . . (Full tank of gas, filled it up Sunday afternoon.)

Tow to dealer. The next day, dealer asks me to bring in the second key, as the service folks think it's a key programming problem. Okay . . . . but that kind of smells to me.

They call me a few hours later and say, "We can get it to start 9 times out of 10. The second key worked, then the first key. Service tech says it might be something aftermarket interfering with the starting."

The only thing aftermarket are three gauges . . . oil temp, oil pressure, boost, installed by a firm the DEALER RECOMMENDED. Sorry, that's a real reach. If they were the problems, I would've had the same problem back in January when they were installed . . . . correct?

I go to pick up the car, get in, insert key . . . see paragraph beginning with, "Monday afternoon."

So, they agree to continue to trouble shoot. Yesterday afternoon, they call and say, "Well, we managed to make it worse. The keys won't program at all, we have to call California, no one here has ever seen anything like this."

Gee, thanks a alot guys, you've probably put a life time of stress on the starting circuit and motor.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

How were they gauges run through the cockpit? If they tried to drill there own hole through the fire wall they may have nicked or cut a wire thats causing the vehicles etach's to ground out.

I would double check all the work that was performed on the vehicle by the other shop. If everything checks out ok then likely you have a bad ecu or etach's unit.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Yea i would also agree that the ECU could be bad since the problem is unheard of. Certain electronics that ground out can fry the ECU....
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:36 PM

RiversideM . . . no holes were drilled, wires were run through the wheel-well.

Turns out the dealer said that there's some sort of sensor in the ignition switch that went bad (this from the California tech reps.) Will require new ignition switch and new keys.

My first guess was ECU as well. . . .

Ah well . . . . . just one of those things, I suppose. But really . . . 650 miles??? I thought these things were bullet-proof.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man that sucks, hopefully you can get it fixed, than get it back on the road, and enjoy it!!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by RiversideMitsu
How were they gauges run through the cockpit? If they tried to drill there own hole through the fire wall they may have nicked or cut a wire thats causing the vehicles etach's to ground out.

I would double check all the work that was performed on the vehicle by the other shop. If everything checks out ok then likely you have a bad ecu or etach's unit.
good advice. this happened to me on my evo 8. nicked the wiring harness and had to get all new wiring and hardware. man that was a PAIN!!!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear
Old Mar 15, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

thats so lame... g/l
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This indeed could be related to the gauge install, however, I would also check to see if its throwing spark, and has adequate fuel pressure and has no boost (vacuum leaks).

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Mar 15, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

a bullet proof evo would be sweet, so i could drive threw the hood boostin' it
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:19 PM

i had starting issue at 2k miles... took them a week to fix. their answer was that the spark plug(s) failed. wouldnt the engine still start with one bad plug? i brought mine in for an accident ... starting just fine, after the fender was fixed and rim replaced i was told that it wouldnt start. fishy dealer.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Bulet proof evo? Yeah right, most of your problem will be during low miles......
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:09 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
650 miles only since january(install date?) it looks like an install issue.