Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How do u fix the key sense switch?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do u fix the key sense switch?

I recently tried to install a turbo timer and notice my keyless remote doesnt work anymore and theres an annoying beeping noise everytime i open my door....i found out that i accidently broke the key sense switch cover that popped out the spring...can someone show me how to fix that? pics would be very helpful thanx!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Once its broken its usually done. You can bridge the connections with the two metal pins in the switch, and the key remote will still work and the beeping will stop.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

so u tape the cover back on with or without the spring? will the work? adamgetem said if its broken you cant fix it that way...?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mishi9
so u tape the cover back on with or without the spring? will the work? adamgetem said if its broken you cant fix it that way...?
If I'm remembering the switch right, I ran into this exact issue last year when I was installing a boost gauge. It had apparently broken before (I'm the 2nd owner), and fiddling down there w/the steering cover plastics made it pop out again. The door/key chime was also throwing me off.

Luckily only one side of the tabs was broken, so it still had some purchase to keep it on with that good side. My fix was to wrap it tightly in strapping tape. I considered gluing the piece back on, but didn't want to risk mucking up the internals of the switch.

Sorry I should have taken pix of it when it was apart. I'm pretty sure that you need all the pieces for it to work. Figuring out which way things go, and if you're missing anything shouldn't be too bad though. G'luck.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IMPdemon
If I'm remembering the switch right, I ran into this exact issue last year when I was installing a boost gauge. It had apparently broken before (I'm the 2nd owner), and fiddling down there w/the steering cover plastics made it pop out again. The door/key chime was also throwing me off.

Luckily only one side of the tabs was broken, so it still had some purchase to keep it on with that good side. My fix was to wrap it tightly in strapping tape. I considered gluing the piece back on, but didn't want to risk mucking up the internals of the switch.

Sorry I should have taken pix of it when it was apart. I'm pretty sure that you need all the pieces for it to work. Figuring out which way things go, and if you're missing anything shouldn't be too bad though. G'luck.
alright thanx for da help...ill try putting back the white plastic tab but i dont think itll do nething without that spring...
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:49 AM

this happend to me last night when installing a trubo timer i put the cover and springs back in taped it now my key wont work...the little green car with a key comes up on my dash any iddeas why? it cranks over but wont start... and yes the key was programed before. could it be that key sense switch?
Old May 14, 2010, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that this is a relatively old thread but could you post a picture of where this switch is located?

I'm having the same exact problem.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ght=door+chime
Old May 15, 2010, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by november
I know that this is a relatively old thread but could you post a picture of where this switch is located?

I'm having the same exact problem.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ght=door+chime
i dont have a picture of it but if you take your steering column apart you'll see a small white box on the right side.....that small box is the key switch which has to small springs in it....if they're not in it that's whats causing the chime when the key is not in the ignition
Old May 2, 2011, 01:10 PM

Any have pics? I am having the same issue :\.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I did the same **** about 3 months ago. Kinda annoying, but it usually reminds me to double check locks, ebrake, gear select, etc...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thecrossup2323
Any have pics? I am having the same issue :\.

your welcome:smiley:
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

That was it its fixed ! yes man it really does pay off you dont need a spring or any of that in there all i did was stuff a wire in the box and circled it with some electrical tape until it fits in the box and taped it up thats it. Open the door up to make sure the sound doesnt go off and its set.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:42 AM

Old thread but still full of highly valuable info I can't find anywhere else! Thanks to all the contributors!

One question -

In my Lancer, it was very easy to find that box, but access to the two screws holding it in place is impossible without removing several other steering column components, which I'm not very comfortable doing.

Can I simply cut the green wires going into the box and connect them, bypassing the box entirely? I am *only* trying to get rid of the stupid door chime.