Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Grinding when turning right?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06mr775
I just replace my left front hub...there was no play at all but it made a lot of noise going straight and when I turned the pitch of the noise would change a bit
This was my situation as well. I had nasty howling coming from the front right when I was at highway speeds. You could feel it in the gas pedal it was so bad. The weirdest thing was that it came out of nowhere. Like no warning, just one day got loud. I jacked the car up to inspect, and the wheel bearing had 0 play, none. Rotated quietly and everything. I replaced it anyways knowing that was probably still the problem, and it was. Go figure.

To the OP, glad you found your problem.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx4life85
All you guys are wrong! I hate to say this b/c its extremely embarrassing.....but my lug nuts were loose!!

I had checked them immediately when I heard the noise, and they all seemed fine. After driving back to my apartment I checked them again and noticed I could finger tighten/loosen all on the driver side front tire. After I snugged those up I haven't heard the noise at all.

Luckily I'm so OCD about my car I heard the noise right when it started, so I didn't have a wheel go flying off while doing 100+ down the road.
now i have to check my car. lol. it was doing the same thing but on left turns. then it went away after awhile. I even took it to the dealer to take a look and they found nothing.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:56 PM

If your lugnuts were loose and you heard the grinding, check your rims for any scraping on your caliper. it does depend how loose the lugnuts were but if your wheel was wobbling it make have scraped against your rim.

All you guys are wrong! I hate to say this b/c its extremely embarrassing.....but my lug nuts were loose!!

I had checked them immediately when I heard the noise, and they all seemed fine. After driving back to my apartment I checked them again and noticed I could finger tighten/loosen all on the driver side front tire. After I snugged those up I haven't heard the noise at all.

Luckily I'm so OCD about my car I heard the noise right when it started, so I didn't have a wheel go flying off while doing 100+ down the road.
Old May 29, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

I really thought this was going to apply to my problem as well. I have some sort of noise coming from the left wheel when making sharp right turns only. The sharper the turn, the more noise it makes. I shook the wheel looking for evidence of a bad bearing, but no play. I peeked around the wheel with the front end in the air to look for any rubbing with the fender liners and didn't see anything obvious. I guess I'll check out the backing plate next.

The sound almost sounds like tires scrubbing if you've ever heard that on a car with REALLY BAD alignment. (The alignment on my car is near perfect.)
Old May 30, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

good think u found it quick but I always torque my lug nuts to be sure they are tight.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost_Inspired
good think u found it quick but I always torque my lug nuts to be sure they are tight.
Yeah, if I had a torque wrench I would but I don't.

And it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. While I could finger tighten/loosen all the lugs, it wasn't to the point where the wheel was wobbling. I checked my calipers and didn't see any major scraping, of couse I have some usual fading in a few spots.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, if I had a torque wrench I would but I don't.

And it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. While I could finger tighten/loosen all the lugs, it wasn't to the point where the wheel was wobbling. I checked my calipers and didn't see any major scraping, of couse I have some usual fading in a few spots.
Are you DJ?