Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rear diff removal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear diff removal

Hey everyone, I'm about to remove my rear diff in my evo 9 to sell it. Now can I just leave everything intact on the rear of the car and just cut the axels in half and remove the diff that way? I know I have the rear diff mount to take down also but I don't have use for the rear axels bc I'm getting the stronger hp rated ones. I just need the rear diff out ASAP and was wondering if that's a quick solution with the sacrifice of the axels. Any suggestions?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 08:49 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
i would not do that, it will probably be harder and certainly more hassle to cut them off then to just pop them out while you are lowering the diff. Also even if you are replacing them, its always a good idea to have back ups.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not that hard to remove the axles/rear diff? If you have to install all new parts anyway, take everything apart the correct way and do it right... don't turn it into some hack job like your about to do.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Cut the axles? Wow. Definitely don't do that. The pair of axles is worth almost as much as the diff. Just pop them out with prybar. You do have to partially disassemble the suspension, but it's not that hard...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
This made me do a double take today. I cant believe someone thought cutting their axles in half would be the fastest way to remove the rear diff.

After dropping a couple rear diffs I can get it done in about 2 hours. Using an impact gun and jacking up the rear as high as possible helps. Plenty of threads on here showing how its done. Save your axles because you could sell them easily.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
That's a crazy idea. It's really not hard to drop the diff.

1. Unbolt rear coilovers/struts from the rear control arms.
2. Drain the diff of all its fluids
3. Unbolt the drive shaft
4. Use a pry bar to pry out the axles.
5. Remove mustache bar and side mount bolts

Don't just go tearing into an evo like that. It's not just another car and you can make money off those rear axles unless they are bent from an accident. Even then I would pry them out and not cut them.

-pal215
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
This made me do a double take today. I cant believe someone thought cutting their axles in half would be the fastest way to remove the rear diff.

After dropping a couple rear diffs I can get it done in about 2 hours. Using an impact gun and jacking up the rear as high as possible helps. Plenty of threads on here showing how its done. Save your axles because you could sell them easily.
Takes me 45 minutes
Old Nov 12, 2015, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's funny how nobody wants to give straight answer like you guys care about OP's axles lol
Old Nov 12, 2015, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

I know u guys are all thinking I'm crazy but let me explain. First of all, you guys are all correct. I am trying to "hack" my diff out and that's only bc where I have the car now I can't jack up the rear end to pop the wheels off and start to disassemble everything. It was a stupid question to begin with and I regret posting it. I know how to remove the diff I was just being really lazy in the moment. I did just remove my motor, tranny, transfer case, and all the wiring and suspension on the front end, along with pulling my entire interior out including the dash. I'm glad no one said go for it bc I would have. I will be taking it out the proper way tomorrow. I appreciate surveying for their 2cents.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Plus the one axel on the passenger side is bent from hitting a guard rail. Either way I'm going to do it the proper way like I removed everything else.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:39 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
also my understanding is you dont need to disconnect the axles from the wheel hubs to remove them from the diff, you can just pop them out as you are lowering the diff from the chassis.