Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In dash double din w ability to view Evo scan and listen to music/radio?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Carputer

Originally Posted by supeazn
Let me know how this works for you.

Just ordered the M4-ATX which is a 250w output, 6v to 30v wide input Intelligent Automotive DC-DC Car PC Power Supply

http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=981

I Also ordered a Noise Blocker XM2 FAN 40x40x10mm Case Fan

http://www.mini-box.com/Noise-Blocke...x10mm-Case-Fan
Old Dec 20, 2017, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
He said he was working with Kindles, I even bought one just kinda hoping it would materialize. I wanted an E-reader anyway though so it wasn't a loss when nothing happened. No you can't run windows on an ARM based machine. Its kind of political within the industry, Intel doesn't want anything ported off its x86 architecture. The best you can do is an Intel x86 based mobile processor. I bought an HP windows tablet attempting to get something going, but i ran into problems with the Openport connection dropping ALOT. It probably had more to do with my hacked power solution introducing noise on the serial line but i kinda lost interest after a crazy amount of hours of trouble shooting.
Windows RT was built specifically to run on ARM.... OS hasn't been supported/updated in years though. OT when the android EvoScan was first announced and it was only offered bundled to a device they sold and folks like me kept noise about it there was dead silence in terms of other folks realizing what that meant. Ditto when many of the early folks like myself signed up to receive source code that never showed up.....
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This iS foolish and unbelieveable that we don't have a way to display all of our ECU's existing info on our monitors or a supplied monitor. I want this made!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 03:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Windows RT was built specifically to run on ARM.... OS hasn't been supported/updated in years though. OT when the android EvoScan was first announced and it was only offered bundled to a device they sold and folks like me kept noise about it there was dead silence in terms of other folks realizing what that meant. Ditto when many of the early folks like myself signed up to receive source code that never showed up.....
the question is will Windows RT work with Openport drivers and evoscan.exe?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How bout the GDP pocket laptop and find a way to integrate in the dash? runs windows 10
Old Dec 22, 2017, 01:05 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
seems microsoft recently got windows 10 running on ARM, the OS is built to support ARM but other x86 apps will be run in emulation. I don't know if this would impact evoscan performance or not.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 05:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been running EvoScan on an HP Stream 7 tablet that runs Windows 8. No issues with logging but haven't messed with the gauges.

I see that there are Double DIN Windows 8 head units available. Has anyone tried using one of these instead of messing with the Android units?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by br3akrboi
This is amazing, but so damn pricey just for the concept of multimedia in the vehicle.

I did some research into it and found this,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2DIN-IN-DAS...4383.l4275.c10

Just need some experience with a raspberry pi and you'll pretty much have a comparable unit for 1/4 of the price.

May have to tackle this project once I get some loose funds
I bought one of these. I'm going to use a Intel NUC inside. I'm still trying to figure out the best amp to use with the stock speakers. My current Pioneer headunit is a half size and is only 1lb so I might use that just to test things out.

I am looking at this amp:
http://a.co/3L0vUM6

Its only 2 channels, but run the front and back speakers in a parallel setup. Left front and rear on one channel and right front and rear on another. That would put them at 2-Ohms....about 40 watts RMS a speaker.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i can run evo scan on a pc and then do a remote desktop via wifi it to my in-dash tablet.
Then i can control the pc on the tablet and use evo scan and datalog.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:38 PM

Last edited by 1hotevo9; Jan 12, 2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by 1hotevo9
i can run evo scan on a pc and then do a remote desktop via wifi it to my in-dash tablet.
Then i can control the pc on the tablet and use evo scan and datalog.
Sweet Setup! Does this mean that you have connected the Tactrix 1.3 harness to your tablet?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:49 PM

No, i wish. the Tactrix 1.3 cable is connected the pc.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Still working on my car pc. I got my display in the mail a couple days ago. I’m working on keeping this setup as light as possible without it being crazy expensive.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 04:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by silverflyer
Still working on my car pc. I got my display in the mail a couple days ago. I’m working on keeping this setup as light as possible without it being crazy expensive.
Looks great! I see you used a double din. I just went with the lazy mans route and picked up a compute stick. It's lightweight and consumed little power.

Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 12, 2018, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the Intel NUC because it can take a SSD and easily add RAM. I can also easily solder the power switch lead so that the pc can auto start/shutdown when the car turns on/off. The NUC is cheap used. Its still a very powerful little computer and good enough for a car pc. Also the double din is touch screen which is nice. I'm hoping the whole setup with weigh under 4lbs which is how much the stock radio weighs.

Quick Reply: In dash double din w ability to view Evo scan and listen to music/radio?