Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Moon Roof Problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moon Roof Problem

I haven't opened my moon roof for about 3-4 months. Yesterday, the weather was great here in Houston and I decided to open the roof. When I pressed the button to open it all the way, the glass would slightly go down, then a thud, then it would go back to the original position. I tried it the second time, same thing. I pushed the "tilt" button, nothing happened. I tried to open the roof all the way again, finally worked fine. The tilt worked fine also.

Today, same thing as yesterday. When I pushed the button to open the roof all the way, the glass slightly went down and got stuck. I placed it back to original position. Repeated the process again and again and again. I looked outside, while the glass was stuck, and observed in the middle rear glass seal was stuck against the roof. I repeated the process a few more times and it finally worked. I cleaned the seal and observed a small 2 inch tear on it. I guess from being unstuck. I went to the dealer and they ordered me the necessary parts. Hopefully it won't leak with the replacement parts installed.

Y'all might want to check your moon roofs for the same problem. I've had 4 cars with moon roof and this is the first time that had a problem.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem here. Dunno if its related to humidity or what. Armour all the seals really well. This helped to greatly reduce the problem.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 02:13 PM

I think Agent-Smith hit it on the head.

The seal around the glass seems realy cheap and nasty and I would guess with the heat you guys have in Houston, it's effectively trying to bond to the paint / metal in the roof cut out. I've noticed a line of rubber deposit where my roof has been in the closed and vented position. Maybe try polishing / waxing the paint on the inside of the roof cut-out? Might equal less resistance when the roof moves.

I'm not sure about using Amour All as a long term soluition as I remember reading somewhere that it contains a high % of silica which can lead to rubber deterotion.

It'll probably help if you make a habit of using the moon roof on a regular basis to stop it 'sticking' .

Hope this helps and good luck.

- Nellie
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
glad i dont have a roof (less problems) less weight, i had same problem on my eclipseT what i did i inspected rails really closely and i found some little stone blocking ... what it means something is inside and blocking so thats why the sunroof hits something and goes back so the motor wont take a poop

Last edited by tweakdsm; Aug 17, 2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Update:

Dealer replaced the entire moon roof(glass and seals). The tech also coated the seals with some kind of rubber lubricant. I hasn't rained hard yet so I can't tell if there's a leak or not. I was advised by one of the tech that the parts replaced cost about $700.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I use my moonroof all the time. No problems at all.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The whole glass for a seal problem????? No wonder looks carefully at warranty issues. You don't have to use anything exotic for the seal as Vaseline works wonders applied on occasion. I had a similar problem & the mechanic put some "special rubber lubricant" on it. well that crap turned into something akin to glue and i had to get a new seal. Now I just use vaseline- problem solved.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

I guess they didn't feel like messing with the seal.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Villan
Update:

Dealer replaced the entire moon roof(glass and seals). The tech also coated the seals with some kind of rubber lubricant. I hasn't rained hard yet so I can't tell if there's a leak or not. I was advised by one of the tech that the parts replaced cost about $700.
$700 bucks?!! Maybe Mitsu wouldn't be so far in the hole financially if the dealers didn't charge unneccessary warranty work. Couldn't new seals have solved the problem, or was the glass just fuct?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't had any problems with my moonroof opening, yet. One minor problem I've discovered is that the sole source of "squeaks" I hear in my car come from the rubber seal around the glass panel. If I don't regularly silicone the seal or crack the roof open I get annoying squeaks. I imagine the same "sticktion" causing the squeaks could eventually cause the window to stick.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GreedMOTO
$700 bucks?!! Maybe Mitsu wouldn't be so far in the hole financially if the dealers didn't charge unneccessary warranty work. Couldn't new seals have solved the problem, or was the glass just fuct?
There was nothing wrong with the glass at all. They could have just replaced the seal and call it a day.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

never had problems with mine
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
I haven't had any problems with my moonroof opening, yet. One minor problem I've discovered is that the sole source of "squeaks" I hear in my car come from the rubber seal around the glass panel. If I don't regularly silicone the seal or crack the roof open I get annoying squeaks. I imagine the same "sticktion" causing the squeaks could eventually cause the window to stick.
The cheap low quality rubber used on the seal isn't really helping much either. Judging from the tear, the seal seems just a tad thicker than a balloon rubber.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

BTW, just curious, when y'all get a chance, check if the moon roof glass is perfectly even with the roof. I've noticed on the original that the driver side rear corner of the glass is lower than the rest and everything else is even with the roof. This new glass is not as even with the roof as the original. It is a tad lower(mm) and the passenger front corner is lower than the rest of the glass. I'm thinking that it is the way the glass is manufactured giving it different "bends." Because the installation is pretty basic and there is no adjustment to be made to lift the glass up to be mostly even with the roof. I know, I'm ****.