Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Why Rockers off for Leak Down test?

Old Sep 19, 2017, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Rockers off for Leak Down test?

I'm reading around and noticing some posts (even from buschur himself) that all rockers must be popped off to perform a proper leakdown test, but I haven't really gotten any info as to why. Wouldn't being at TDC close the valves completely? If not, does that mean that the valves stay slightly open during normal operation?

I'm about to do a leakdown test but not sure if I have to undo the timing and remove the cams to remove the rockers before doing it
Old Sep 19, 2017, 01:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Just need to be at TDC of the compression stroke of the cylinder you're testing.
The following users liked this post:
TheRealDirtyDan (Sep 19, 2017)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Just need to be at TDC of the compression stroke of the cylinder you're testing.

Ok just making sure I wasn't crazy. Thanks again
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Why do you want to do a leakdown test?

You want to pressurise the cylinder to find a leak?

But what problem are you trying to find.
Leakdown tests usually don't work due to the post above.

If it's leaking in the cylinder past the rings , it's probably NOT going to leak when the piston is at the top and it's probably NOT going to leak when the piston's at the bottom.
If there's bore damage then most of it is going to be about half way.

Removing the rockers is one way because then the valves will be closed.
But if you take the piston to TDC with both valves closed (firing position) then rotate another 90 deg, the valves are still closed and the piston is about half way down.

You've just got to put it into top gear (brake on) to stop the crank turning when you add pressure.

Obviously wrong.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 05:52 AM

New engine build is blowing blue smoke for about 2 seconds on a cold start, then goes away. I want to see if it’s the valve seals
Old Sep 20, 2017, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If checking valve seals then would be better to pull the exhaust manifold back to have a look at the ports and guides. Will give you a definite answer.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Why do you want to do a leakdown test?

You want to pressurise the cylinder to find a leak?

But what problem are you trying to find.
Leakdown tests usually don't work due to the post above.

If it's leaking in the cylinder past the rings , it's probably NOT going to leak when the piston is at the top and it's probably NOT going to leak when the piston's at the bottom.
If there's bore damage then most of it is going to be about half way.

Removing the rockers is one way because then the valves will be closed.
But if you take the piston to TDC with both valves closed (firing position) then rotate another 90 deg, the valves are still closed and the piston is about half way down.

You've just got to put it into top gear (brake on) to stop the crank turning when you add pressure.

Obviously wrong.

No, its not wrong. If the cylinder is damaged like you suggest, the rings will also be damaged due to go over the damaged cylinder wall and not seal correctly on the undamaged portion of the cylinder wall. I've never had an engine test good for leak down and compression, only to be pulled apart and have damaged cylinder walls half way up.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Sep 20, 2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TheRealDirtyDan
New engine build is blowing blue smoke for about 2 seconds on a cold start, then goes away. I want to see if it’s the valve seals

How new? have you given it some time to seat the rings?

Like the other guy stated, to check for valve seal issues, you'll need to pull the manifolds off to look for oil in the ports.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

A leakdown test wont find a problem with valve seals...never.

The seals, they seal between the crankcase and the port.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 02:15 PM

How new? have you given it some time to seat the rings?

Like the other guy stated, to check for valve seal issues, you'll need to pull the manifolds off to look for oil in the ports.
500 miles in. It burned 1 quart in 500 miles. Blue smoke on a cold start, but goes away ( no blue smoke under idle ) no blue smoke under boost or vacuum.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 01:01 AM
Account Disabled

That's not going to help either.

If you remove the exhaust manifold and see oil, it could be coming from the intake seals, the rings or maybe the exhaust seals.
Some engines don't have seals on the exhaust valves, they're not needed as they don't get vacuum.......they don't usually leak.
Pulling the intake manifold, you'll see nothing.

For VSS issues, you remove the valve cover and take a look.
If it's a new build they should be new.
But if it's got an aftermarket cam (high lift) which was fitted without measuring properly, they might be destroyed.

But if you're looking for an oil burning issue, a leakdown test might find faulty rings but it won't find a bore that's been honed wrong.

No, its not wrong. If the cylinder is damaged like you suggest, the rings will also be damaged due to go over the damaged cylinder wall and not seal correctly on the undamaged portion of the cylinder wall. I've never had an engine test good for leak down and compression, only to be pulled apart and have damaged cylinder walls half way up.

Still wrong.

Not in this case but with an old engine that's tuned wrong, it's common to break the ring lands (detonation), the owner doesn't know and keeps driving, the only sign is too much smoke. One ring no longer rotates in the bore and the end of it wears a groove down the bore.
The other ring still seals so ..........you'll only find the problem with the piston half way down. It leaks where there's a groove in the bore.

Last edited by RightSaid fred; Sep 21, 2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
That's not going to help either.

If you remove the exhaust manifold and see oil, it could be coming from the intake seals, the rings or maybe the exhaust seals.
Some engines don't have seals on the exhaust valves, they're not needed as they don't get vacuum.......they don't usually leak.
Pulling the intake manifold, you'll see nothing.

For VSS issues, you remove the valve cover and take a look.
If it's a new build they should be new.
But if it's got an aftermarket cam (high lift) which was fitted without measuring properly, they might be destroyed.

But if you're looking for an oil burning issue, a leakdown test might find faulty rings but it won't find a bore that's been honed wrong.

Still wrong.

Not in this case but with an old engine that's tuned wrong, it's common to break the ring lands (detonation), the owner doesn't know and keeps driving, the only sign is too much smoke. One ring no longer rotates in the bore and the end of it wears a groove down the bore.
The other ring still seals so ..........you'll only find the problem with the piston half way down. It leaks where there's a groove in the bore.
I took the valve cover off and the seals look new, I got GSC S1’s so I don’t think a mild cam like that is making the retainers destroy the seals. I went with single GSC beehive springs so I don’t think the springs are popping off the seals like dual valve springs would do. I already checked the turbo. There’s gunk build up from the intake sucking up from the valve cover, but nothing excessive and no fresh oil. No shaft play up or down or side to side. The turbo is good. PCV valve comes in from the dealer today and will be replacing that to get it out of the way.

That leaves the rings and valve seals / guides. The rings would normally smoke under acceleration correct? I don’t see smoke under acceleration. I also don’t see smoke under deceleration. The only visible smoke I see is for 2-3 seconds on a cold start. But I don’t think that would cause me to burn 1 complete quart in 500 miles. I have double and triple checked under the car and every cranny, there’s no leaks. This oil is being burned.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:10 PM
Account Disabled

If there's signs of oil in the intake side of the turbo, it's usually coming from blowby.
That means the rings aren't sealing properly.
You won't find the problem without pulling it apart.